Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just got, or am going to get... post your new gear thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, OK. Still cool. Would look great in a cabin kitchen.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
      I got a new camp coffee pot. I like old school camp coffee, boil water (I think it best of you can use creek or lake water in the mountains), dump in grounds, let it simmer a few minutes, set off the fire a couple minutes so the grounds settles and it brews nice and strong, then carefully pour so the grounds dont get stirred up. Makes very strong but smooth coffee.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grey enamelware coffee pot.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	81337

I also got my sidecar hooked up, finally, to haul the coffee pot with.

Name:	IMG_0269 - Copy.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	81338
      Gently pouring a little cold water into the boiler will sink most grounds to the bottom of the pot.

Comment

I am going to get a tent stove for my camping needs. Please suggest me some good ones.

Comment

Having had mixed results trying to keep the camping battery charged using solar panels; I ordered a DC to DC battery charger (It was on sale).
          Click image for larger version  Name:	renogy DC to DC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	19.6 KB ID:	81795
          This can be used to recharge large 12 volt lithium based batteries from a vehicle or other 12 volt DC (direct current) source.

I normally charge my 50 and 100 amp hour tent/camping/ batteries at home before camping trips but this will give me the ability to charge them in the field without having to depend on the sun and bulky solar panels.
          We will see how it works (likely during the memorial day weekend trip)... If there are problems or issues I will post them.

Like most Renogy items it is a rebrand of a cheaper chinese product.

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-18-2022, 09:12 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Finally decided to expand the camping space; got a 10 by 20 foot canopy to use with the 10 x 10 stand up tent which should give me about a 10 x 10 porch .

Name:	american pheonix 10x20 canopyjpg.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	81829
            Its heavier than I like at around 80 pounds (must be getting old) but I have a light weight hand cart to help lug it to and from the vehicle.

...just waiting for warmer weather...

Enjoy!
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

While going through the camping gear in preparation for this spring and summer;
              I noticed that one of the milk crates was breaking (cracked).. so I ordered a pair of replacements...

Click image for larger version  Name:	milk crates.jpg Views:	5 Size:	36.9 KB ID:	81887
              https://www.amazon.com/Juggernaut-St...6247455&sr=8-5

Enjoy!

Got them last Sunday they look like standard milk crates (acceptable).
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 03-07-2022, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I have decided to get some of MacGyver's Spax bolts to anchor the new canopy down...
                https://www.campingforums.com/forum/...eg-alternative

2 bucks+ a piece at home depot; a $1 .86 at Lowes... need 7 (6 + a spare to loose).

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 03-07-2022, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  I have decided to get some of MacGyver's Spax bolts to anchor the new canopy down...
                  https://www.campingforums.com/forum/...eg-alternative

2 bucks+ a piece at home depot; a $1 .86 at Lowes... need 7 (6 + a spare to loose).

Enjoy!
                  I've even taken that down a notch, size and weight wise. GRK fasteners are slimmer and use a simple Torx bit, rather than a ratchet and adapter. Also from Lowe's.

Comment

Welcome back MacGyver!...
                    Your posts have been missed...

Thanks for the update; I will definitely check these bolts out.
                    (Edit) GRK 3/8-in x 8-in Polymer Exterior Wood Screws $2.18 ea.
                    Item #580260Model #96020
                    or GRK 5/16-in x 6-in Polymer Exterior Wood Screws @ $1.98 ea.
                    Item #580258Model #96015.0

I'm not all that big a fan of Torx; had a, hardened, 7/16" Torx bit break resulting in some physical damage (although a heavy equipment mechanic that I know swears by them)...
                    Using a ratchet will likely be a back up technique, the primary installation tool will probably be a cordless impact wrench (debating on whether a 3/8* drive impact will be powerful enough or if I should bring the large, heavier, 1/2 inch drive tool (I have had disappointing results from the 3/8 drive impact)).
                    (Edit) given the shank diameter of these the 3/8 drive will likely be more than enough...

Enjoy!

P.S. Hope you hang around...
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-06-2022, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                      Welcome back MacGyver!...
                      Your posts have been missed...

... the primary installation tool will probably be a cordless impact wrench (debating on whether a 3/8* drive impact will be powerful enough or if I should bring the large, heavier, 1/2 inch drive tool (I have had disappointing results from the 3/8 drive impact)).
                      (Edit) given the shank diameter of these the 3/8 drive will likely be more than enough...

Enjoy!

P.S. Hope you hang around...
                      Thanks HJ - Been way too busy working 60 hours a week to have play time on the Internet. Like I told Toes in PM - when my body wears out and I have to quit, I should have more than enough time to check in.

As far as the drill goes, I wouldn't necessarily go with an impact drill at all unless it's a smaller drill like 12 or even 9 volt. I run with Ryobi tools and they are defninitely not the torquiest drills by any means. Even though the Appalachian soil here is all rocks and clay - murder for tent pegs - set on low speed (and non-impact) for better torque, they take the Spax and GRKs right down. If you're really concerned, maybe try a test with your 3/8ths drill on some ground that approximates the ground where you camp.

Comment

I hear you!
                        My biggest concern is in the, relatively high, probably of driving a bolt into a living tree root and after a week, not being able to get it out; as has happened with tent pegs. (I would really rather avoid, potentially, several hundred miles of travel to get the cutting torch, or a grinder, then another trip to bring it back to the campsite to cut a bolt head off.) The 3/8 drive impact wrench is smaller than many drills and has many times the torque. I briefly considered getting a 1/4" impact but they are even more anemic (with the torque rated in inch pounds).
                        https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-co...+impact+wrench

Name:	small impact.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	81967
                        ...I cannot recommend this particular tool as this example does not generate even 100 foot pound of torque (contrary to the description)...

I think that I will take both tools into the back yard and drive some 3/8" x 8" lag bolts bolts into a worthless chinese elm (giant weed) then run the batteries down and try to remove them, after a couple of weeks in place.

Enjoy!

Comment

If you're sticking with the Spax bolts and worried about a tool failure, there are a few options for backup. A speedwrench, a ratchet wrench or even a pair of large visegrips. If the bolt is stuck so tight that it's hard going with the speedwrench, a ratchet (especially with some sort of extension for extra leverage) or visegrips will definitely take care of it, albeit slowly. And none of those tools take up much room so they can be stashed just about anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                            If you're sticking with the Spax bolts and worried about a tool failure, there are a few options for backup. A speedwrench, a ratchet wrench or even a pair of large visegrips. If the bolt is stuck so tight that it's hard going with the speedwrench, a ratchet (especially with some sort of extension for extra leverage) or visegrips will definitely take care of it, albeit slowly. And none of those tools take up much room so they can be stashed just about anywhere.

Yep! these (except for the speed wrench, it wont fit in the ammo can toolbox) are my backup plan.. I almost always carry a set of mechanic tools camping... Used to also carry welding equipment and spare driveshafts, parts, etc. when doing hard core four wheeling...

Depending on how motivated I get I may do some pull tests with 3/8 x 8" lag bolts, spax bolts, etc to see which hold the ground best. The ground where I normally camp is usually decayed granite (think rough edged half sized pea gravel). Wwhen I do the desert (Moab Ut. usually) it is usually sand or sandstone... in the backyard its sand.

Enjoy!

Comment

Just made up another tent ceiling light, for the future tent "porch".

Name:	new tent light 50 DSCF0365.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	81975

Some of the parts used in the original are no longer available so I had to take apart and modify a "jelly glass" wall lantern fixture from Lowes.
                              https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Sou...ern/5001961417

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by shahmeer View Post
                                I am going to get a tent stove for my camping needs. Please suggest me some good ones.
                                You mean for cooking inside a tent?
                                I wouldn't recommend it.
                                I'd suggest using the stove under a fly or an e-z up thingy if required.
                                If not,
                                `Your tent will retain cooking odors
                                `Bears will come a-calling, invited by the aroma
                                `You'll burn your tent down to the ground

Comment

Working...
                                X