My dog died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My dog died

Oh, James. I'm so sorry. I just had my camping companion, Boo, euthanized. I will miss her so much on this next camping trip, and I had her put down because she was a biter, lost continence, couldn't hear or see well. But she was still perky and enthusiastic about eating, and I'm feeling guilty that maybe I had here put to sleep to soon. This site isn't about these kinds of issues, but for me, its impacting my camping love. I suppose it will pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Joyous56 View Post
      Oh, James. I'm so sorry. I just had my camping companion, Boo, euthanized. I will miss her so much on this next camping trip, and I had her put down because she was a biter, lost continence, couldn't hear or see well. But she was still perky and enthusiastic about eating, and I'm feeling guilty that maybe I had here put to sleep to soon. This site isn't about these kinds of issues, but for me, its impacting my camping love. I suppose it will pass.
      Sorry to hear that. A friend once told me that our pets depend on us for everything. Food, shelter, safety and at the end, this is the last thing they depend on us for. It is up to us to make sure they don't suffer at the end of their life. I will tell you that the first trip I took without Scully was tough. Even loading up before the trip was sad.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

I have the answer for not having a camping dog. It's a camping cat!

The Cat has made a wonderful camping companion. He is great in the car - checks to make sure you're OK with a quick ocassional "meow", and naps in between.

He is happy to explore the area and will hang out at camp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190918_151549_hdr-901x901.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	71182

Name:	IMG_20190919_153148_hdr.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	71183

And you can have your very own nephew of The Cat!

Name:	IMG_20191022_185121.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	71184. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191023_054059_edit.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	71185

8 weeks old. Will happily wear a harness. Adventuresome. Brave. Energenic. Good with dogs (and other cats). May startle at something new, but gets over it quickly. And will happily keep you warm at night!

He was hanging out under my suv and motorhome the other day (yes, he is even willing to help you fix your truck!) yelling very loudly. He is very likely a blood relative of The Cat. He has certainly decided that he wants to grow up just like The Cat. He wants to be a camping cat and he needs his very own home for that.

He is leuk negative, has his first shots and all the trimmings. He does have a chemical burn on his front paw's big pad. He got an antibiotic shot for it and it will heal fine. Right now he tends to curl the paw a bit and kneads with the other paw (OK, it's really cute to watch him knead one-handed).

He is cuddly and a glutton for attention. And he is a talker. He will tell you when his tummy needs rubbing (it needs it a lot).

I really need to find him a home. Uncle Cat is not happy about it. But he does acknowledge that this guy is of quality attitude.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Sorry to hear.

Comment

My dog was just diagnosed with an aggressive bone cancer. I'm trying to find a last camping destination to take her before her health turns. James did you have a place you took your dog that they loved? My dog Ursa isn't always good with other dogs, and she loves to swim, anywhere warm during December?

Comment

I sadly had to have my dog, Boo, put down a week before my last camping trip in September 2019. She was also my camping buddy. She too had problems and could be aggressive; she had lyme disease and was very sensitive to being touched. She was a rescue dog. That 3 hour trip to meet my friend and her dog was so long and lonely, seeing the empty seat beside me.

I feel your pain, but I hope it's less for you, two years later.

Comment

With Bat-dog's issues, I really learned that it wasn't about aggression. It was a dog's natural reaction to fear. Bat-dog's issues developed at one year (bad vet) and by the time she was 4, it was very extreme. Then we started camping and over the next few years, she improved 98%. Malamute is right about the bond that happens when you camp with your dog - it really builds a trust between you. Bat-dog even got over her deep-seated disgust with her Aunt C (a friend of mine who barked at Bat-dog when they first met). Bat-dog spent a lot of years holding a grudge (and yes it's been proven dogs hold grudges). It took a lot of sucking up on Aunt C's part to undo what she had done.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Sorry for your loss
                  i really hurt and i can feel your pain

Comment

Sad to hear that James :(

Comment

Sorry to hear this

Comment

Originally posted by ofmossandmoose View Post
                        My dog was just diagnosed with an aggressive bone cancer. I'm trying to find a last camping destination to take her before her health turns. James did you have a place you took your dog that they loved? My dog Ursa isn't always good with other dogs, and she loves to swim, anywhere warm during December?
                        I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, Scully's tumor grew so much and so fast that by the time I knew there was a problem and got her to the vet it was too late for anything. She never left the vet's office. My wife suggested one last trip but she was already having trouble breathing and I didnt want to take her to a higher elevation because it would only make breathing harder.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Joyous56 View Post
                          I sadly had to have my dog, Boo, put down a week before my last camping trip in September 2019. She was also my camping buddy. She too had problems and could be aggressive; she had lyme disease and was very sensitive to being touched. She was a rescue dog. That 3 hour trip to meet my friend and her dog was so long and lonely, seeing the empty seat beside me.

I feel your pain, but I hope it's less for you, two years later.
                          The first trip without her was definately hard. I almost turned back. It was actually tough just loading up when I realized I didn't have to load up any of her stuff.

It gets easier but still isnt easy. I am sorry for your loss and hope you are doing well.
                          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                            With Bat-dog's issues, I really learned that it wasn't about aggression. It was a dog's natural reaction to fear. Bat-dog's issues developed at one year (bad vet) and by the time she was 4, it was very extreme. Then we started camping and over the next few years, she improved 98%. Malamute is right about the bond that happens when you camp with your dog - it really builds a trust between you. Bat-dog even got over her deep-seated disgust with her Aunt C (a friend of mine who barked at Bat-dog when they first met). Bat-dog spent a lot of years holding a grudge (and yes it's been proven dogs hold grudges). It took a lot of sucking up on Aunt C's part to undo what she had done.
                            For sure. I still feel bad that I wasn't able to help her get over those fears.
                            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by mrforestfriend View Post
                              Sorry for your loss
                              i really hurt and i can feel your pain
                              Originally posted by lindahaynes View Post
                              Sad to hear that James :(
                              Originally posted by ivanjhon View Post
                              Sorry to hear this
                              Thank you all.
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                                For sure. I still feel bad that I wasn't able to help her get over those fears.
                                I totally get that. But I always try to remember that if they are secure and happy with me, then anything else is gravy.

Comment

Working...
                                X