Thoughts on an awning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on an awning

Thanks for all the amazing replies. I have several cheap Harbor Freight blue tarps that I intend to practice and perfect the art of "tarping". I think a decent tarp like the Noah or REI could be used both on and off the vehicle.

I used to be an old fashioned tent only guy. A minimalist at heart. My wonderful wife on the other hand attaches a refrigerator size package to every small item we bring. She really wants shade to relax under when we hunker down.

While camping in Canada she commented on how cool the tarps looked. We live in California and rarely have the need for rain protection as it's dry 8 out of 12 months. We suffer from too much sun. Sorry for you folks east of the Rockies. In the rainiest months, our rain does not compare to the Biblical rain that east coast folks experience.

We leave for Pinnacles National Park in 9 days for a 3 day camping trip and it exposed and tends to get hot. This will be a good practice run on setting up the tarp.
    Last edited by markkee; 10-10-2016, 10:30 AM.
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Comment

I just have a HF blue tarp for rain duty...works fine for me even if it ain't pretty. There are many options for pitching a rectangular tarp.
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by markkee View Post
        Thanks for all the amazing replies. I have several cheap Harbor Freight blue tarps that I intend to practice and perfect the art of "tarping". I think a decent tarp like the Noah or REI could be used both on and off the vehicle.

I used to be an old fashioned tent only guy. A minimalist at heart. My wonderful wife on the other hand attaches a refrigerator size package to every small item we bring. She really wants shade to relax under when we hunker down.

While camping in Canada she commented on how cool the tarps looked. We live in California and rarely have the need for rain protection as it's dry 8 out of 12 months. We suffer from too much sun. Sorry for you folks east of the Rockies. In the rainiest months, our rain does not compare to the Biblical rain that east coast folks experience.

We leave for Pinnacles National Park in 9 days for a 3 day camping trip and it exposed and tends to get hot. This will be a good practice run on setting up the tarp.
        You are very welcome,

...Bring lots to tie down line, stakes & some bungies (Thanx! MacG) and see if you can find some old collapsible tent poles that fit your tarp grommets.... & something pointy to act as a marlinspike; helps undo the inevitable knots and tangles...

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-14-2016, 08:01 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
        X