Portable Camp Shower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Portable Camp Shower

When I want to temporarily attach something to a tree, I use a belt or (ratchet) strap wrapped around the tree then use a hanger or hook attached or simply looped through between the belt/strap and the tree.
    Its an idea that's been used since a least Napoleonic times and is probably ancient.

Enjoy!

works to hang lanterns etc from vertical tent poles too (although I usually use a hose clamp...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	canopy lightDSCF0226.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	70526
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-21-2016, 06:35 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

James and Happy JOE, thanks for the comments. I do have to agree with you James, that the screws do very little damage. With that said and over with. I have taken up your challenge James.(hang it without screws) I went to my thinking chair and looked at it from different angles. James, you asked, what about a rope or bungee. You need something that is strong and will hold the 1"x 4" tight to the tree. The shower stall is lite weight but wilh the frame hanging out 30" and with the tarps, there is some weight. But I want something that will not stretch but can be tighten up to different size trees. I think I have a couple ideas that might fasten the shower frame and jack chain to the tree with out screws. It will be a heavier chain then jack chain, with adjustable tightner. Because we are working with a round surface and when the front frame touches the tree. That is a pivot point. This is the hardest part at solving the challenge. But I think my other idea will work to solve that issue. I will pick up part at the Hardware store. Put the parts on the main frame and try it out on a tree. If it works good, then I will take pictures and post them for all to see. It maybe a few days if nothing comes up to slow me down. Happy JOE, thanks for the picture. That is a good idea for hanging camping items out to the way. Have a great camping season to all!

Comment

James, I am just getting back to you on you question. Is there another way to mount the shower enclosure with out screws? The is what I came up with. Picture #1, showing the enclose up with screws. Picture #2, with the same mainframe front mounting bracket. It has new added pats. Picture #3, if you zoom in will show two new parts. One, L-brackets. Two, hook bolt. The L-brackets are there for stableizing the wood frame on the tree. At Pivot point. Two brackets on each side of the tree. Three holes drilled in a line for the L-brackets. Put a 1/4-20 bolt through the inner hole on the L-bracket and place it in one of the three holes with a wing nut, not fully tighten. This will give you a 360° swing for adjusting to the size of the tree. If more is needed, move to the outer hole on the L-bracket Number two. The 1/4-20 hook bolt is the point of attachment for the chain. Two at 3' long. A person could go shorter. On to picture #4, to tighten up the chain. I used a chain or cable adjuster. (Zoom in) The two blocks are for lifting up the adjuster off the bark. So I can tighten up the two chains. Over all it worked, well. There shouldn't be any problems but will see how it holds up on next camping trip. I hope this will work for you James. If any questions, let me know. I do hope that all the pictures will come through. On two of my other posts, no pictures but stated "attachment ####". When clicking on the word attachment. It comes up with "Invalid Attachment". I do not know why they would not post the pictures. To all, have a great time camping this year.

Picture #1. Picture #2. Picture #3. Picture #4.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	70553 Click image for larger version

Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	70554 Click image for larger version

Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	70555

Comment

Originally posted by Yrral48 View Post
          James, I am just getting back to you on you question. Is there another way to mount the shower enclosure with out screws? The is what I came up with. Picture #1, showing the enclose up with screws. Picture #2, with the same mainframe front mounting bracket. It has new added pats. Picture #3, if you zoom in will show two new parts. One, L-brackets. Two, hook bolt. The L-brackets are there for stableizing the wood frame on the tree. At Pivot point. Two brackets on each side of the tree. Three holes drilled in a line for the L-brackets. Put a 1/4-20 bolt through the inner hole on the L-bracket and place it in one of the three holes with a wing nut, not fully tighten. This will give you a 360° swing for adjusting to the size of the tree. If more is needed, move to the outer hole on the L-bracket Number two. The 1/4-20 hook bolt is the point of attachment for the chain. Two at 3' long. A person could go shorter. On to picture #4, to tighten up the chain. I used a chain or cable adjuster. (Zoom in) The two blocks are for lifting up the adjuster off the bark. So I can tighten up the two chains. Over all it worked, well. There shouldn't be any problems but will see how it holds up on next camping trip. I hope this will work for you James. If any questions, let me know. I do hope that all the pictures will come through. On two of my other posts, no pictures but stated "attachment ####". When clicking on the word attachment. It comes up with "Invalid Attachment". I do not know why they would not post the pictures. To all, have a great time camping this year.

Picture #1. Picture #2. Picture #3. Picture #4.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]5625[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5626[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5627[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5628[/ATTACH]
          Check you out! Those are some nifty modifications and I must say that I am impressed. I have not been able to get this design out of my head and have been thinking of making one for myself.

Well done sir!
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Love the setup, but the screw in the tree thing made me cringe a bit. Get caught doing that in a Maryland State Forest and you'd better have a fat wallet.

Comment

Yrral48 - Nice work with the modification to hang the shower without tree damage from the screws. I cringed a bit also when I first read your post that indicated that it was hung from the tree using screws. I'm sure in the Northwest where you are located, trees are plentiful, but I'm with MacGyver...the first iteration of your shower hanger would net me a big fine here in Indiana. I like the revision! Well done! Well done!
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

James,MacGyver and a65SHoosier,
                Thanks you for your nice comments. I stated in my first posts on this subject that I was "open for comments". You gave compliments as well as good criticism. I received them all openly. I was more then willing to make any corrections to the shower mounting frame. That will mount to the tree with out screws. I am always tweeking (new idea), to make something better. The main point that I see to the Campingforums. Is to glean from the postings for yourself. To inform fellow campers with information and to help with ideas. That is what has happened. I also enjoyed the challenge that I took upon my self, to modify the frame for the betterment of the trees. So thank you again. In my last post, I did not talk about the chain above the wood mounting bracket. It is a 6' piece of the same chain placed 12" above. Using the same style of adjuster for tightening the chain. A "S" hook is placed through the chain above the wood frame. Now the jackchain has a new place to attach to, instead of the screw eye. No picture. Just thinking. Because there is not as much weight for the jackchain to hold. You might get away with a piece of rope tied tight so it won't slip down the tree. And using the "S" hook. You could give it a try. I would still use the chain method on the mounting frame. I am including one older picture. Hope the picture comes through. It is a closer look at the EMT frame work. With out the jackchain. Remember you can make the (shower/changing) enclosure any size you need it to be. For me, it has to fit inside my duffel bag. In the older picture it shows the hinged arms on the wood mounting frame. Because of the new modification. I have removed them. Still open for any comments. To ALL, Have a Great Camping Year! PS. If any one makes a unit. It would be nice to see your pictures.

Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	70563

Comment

I haven't been camping yet (planning to go on first trip in a month), but when the power goes out I use the Zodi OUtback Extreme shower. Should work fine for camping.

https://www.amazon.com/ZODI-Outback-...252c4507834aae

SW
                  "Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

http://www.stillnesswilderness.com

Comment

Working...
                  X