Portable Camp Shower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Camp Shower

Anyone else see these? I have had an idea of building 12v camp shower for a while but since I want to use a 'shower tent' I haven't figures out a way to keep everything dry that needs to stay dry. Seems these guys figured it out......sort of.

http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Batter.../dp/B00IFHFJXI

It is a all-in-one unit with a rechargable battery. The only thing it us missing is a convenience switch to turn the pump off and on. No sense wasting water, right?

Then I see this...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...6FH7DTTAVD9R9G

Its got the switch, but not the battery. You have to plug it in while you use it. Maybe I can buy the second and just cut the end off and hook it up to a battery...that I make waterproof? Still thinking....
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Portable Camp Shower

I shy away from anything that has an internal rechargeable battery unless they're readily accessible and replaceable. So, to me, the Ivation is out. As for the second unit, I wouldn't worry about making the battery waterproof. The gels cells I take for camping aren't in any kind of enclosure and have been through rain and never posed a problem. I'm not saying have a battery right at your feet while showering - just put it off to the side and I think you'll be fine

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      I shy away from anything that has an internal rechargeable battery unless they're readily accessible and replaceable. So, to me, the Ivation is out. As for the second unit, I wouldn't worry about making the battery waterproof. The gels cells I take for camping aren't in any kind of enclosure and have been through rain and never posed a problem. I'm not saying have a battery right at your feet while showering - just put it off to the side and I think you'll be fine
      For the price I dont mind the lack if accessability. But it makes me wonder just how inaccessable it is. I wonder if there is a way for me to get in there and add a wire for a switch.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

They look OK.
        However, I too don't care for the rechargeable battery (or water resistant switch) thing.
        ... our (3 gallon?)non electric u-pump-it up garden sprayer with kitchen sink spray head works fairly well... Not terribly high-tech though.

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I tend to camp near water anyway, so....just don't use detergent or anything that will kill the fish. Go native.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
            I tend to camp near water anyway, so....just don't use detergent or anything that will kill the fish. Go native.
            I am thinking more about the wife and daughter. Neither of them would bathe in a lake.
            – E. B. White

Comment

Where is the water in the bucket for the battery powered shower coming from?

As long as water is not stagnant or obviously polluted my wife didn't have any issues; "If I can swim in it I can shower with it (as long as its not salt water)".... some soaps and especially shampoo do not work with river/lake water (avoid cold water with Head and Shoulders). Warming the water helps immensely (solar or a heat exchanger).

Enjoy!
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                Where is the water in the bucket for the battery powered shower coming from?

As long as water is not stagnant or obviously polluted my wife didn't have any issues; "If I can swim in it I can shower with it (as long as its not salt water)".... some soaps and especially shampoo do not work with river/lake water (avoid cold water with Head and Shoulders). Warming the water helps immensely (solar or a heat exchanger).

Enjoy!
                I would be good with either packed in water or lake/river water. I will admit that I am a bit leary of the lake/river water....not enough to not try. More curious as to how clean you end up. I have been wondering if there is a cheap and easy way to filter it on site.

Just one more thought that rattles around in my head. Imput would be greatly appreciated.
                – E. B. White

Comment

As far as filtering on site; I once made up a multistage filter using 10" filters (I think a half micron filter then an activated carbon filter) back when we were trying to use the engine heat exchanger and a pump for showers. To get enough volume you'll need a pretty good pump and you need to suck through a strainer from the (hopefully clear) creek/stream/lake etc. running pressure to the filters. all of the hoses pump and filters made it too cumbersome for Jeep camping, though.
                  Never had enough urge to try it from a swamp.
                  Most of the, non desert, places where I camp have water that eventually goes to some city for drinking... but then I'm not back east... I would be leery of farm run off and industrial chemicals in "civilized" areas though.

Enjoy!

Comment

I ordered the Ivation battery powered shower yesterday. Unfortunately I dragged my feet long enough that it will not be here before I leave town this weekend (but I am still praying for a miricle) so I will have to try it out next time.

I have all but decided that I am going to add a better switch to it. I saw some pictures of one taken apart (from an unhappy reviewer) and it looks like it is screwed closed. I will be opening it up and drilling a hole to run a wire for the switch and sealing the hole with (probably) silicone.

Probably not before the first use. That way if I totally hack it up I will have gotten to use it at least once.
                    – E. B. White

Comment

Hello to all that read this. I have been a member of Campingforums since '2012 and have enjoyed reading the Threads and comments on so many subjects. Keep up the good work. This is my first posting. So I thought that I would add to this subject on "Portable Camp Shower". I came up with my concept 4 years ago. It mounts on to a tree as well to my Mini Van roof rack, in case there is no trees. But I live in the North West where we have lots of trees. The shower consists of 1"x4"(the mounting bracket) to attach to the front of the tree with two screws. With two hinged arms to attach to the side of the tree. One screw each. The metal frame is 1/2" EMT, used for electrical wiring. And some jack chain. The frame can be adjusted to any ground level. Two 6'x8' tarps makes up the curtains. I use a 2 1/2 gal pressure tank for the shower. Fill half the tank with cold water and the other half with boiling water. The tempture is just right. During the day I use the sprayer for washing my hands,dishes,spraying my Mt. Bike down. And a number of other things. For the shower. I attach the clear hose with shower head and shut off. I use a big plastic tire bag to stand on. Does the trick and folds up real small. All the materials fit into my duffel bag. The picture of all the materials has the mounting hinged arms(1"x4") folded out. When stored they are folded to the back and fits in the duffel bag. When at camp site. It only takes about 10 min or less to set up. Screws,screwdriver or screw gun is all you need for set up. Just thought I would send it your way. Any comments are welcomed. Have a great day!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	70515 Click image for larger version

Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	70516 Click image for larger version

Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	70517 Click image for larger version

Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	70518

Comment

Hello to all that read this. I have been a member of Campingforums since '2012 and have enjoyed reading the Threads and comments on so many subjects. Keep up the good work. This is my first posting. So I thought that I would add to this subject on "Portable Camp Shower". I came up with my concept 4 years ago. It mounts on to a tree as well to my Mini Van roof rack, in case there is no trees. But I live in the NorthWest where we have lots of trees. The shower consists of 1"x4"(the mounting bracket) to attach to the front of the tree with two screws. With two hinged arms to attach to the side of the tree. One screw each. The metal frame is 1/2" EMT, used for electrical wiring. And some jack chain. The frame is "30 x"30 or what ever size is needed and can be adjusted to any ground level. Two one hole 1/2" EMT straps hold the frame to the mounting bracket. Two 6'x8' tarps makes up the curtains. I use a 2 1/2 gal pressure tank for the shower. Fill half the tank with cold water and the other half with boiling water. The tempture is just right. During the day I use the sprayer for washing my hands,dishes,spraying my Mt. Bike down. And a number of other things. For the shower. I attach the clear hose with shower head and shut off. Shower head can be hand held or hook onto the jack chain. I use a big plastic tire bag to stand on. Does the trick and folds up real small. All the materials fit into my duffel bag. The picture of all the materials has the mounting hinged arms(1"x4") folded out. When stored they are folded to the back and fits in the duffel bag. When at camp site. It only takes about 10 min or less to set up. Screws,screwdriver or screw gun is all you need for set up. Just thought I would send it your way. Any comments are welcomed. Have a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by Yrral48 View Post
                          Hello to all that read this. I have been a member of Campingforums since '2012 and have enjoyed reading the Threads and comments on so many subjects. Keep up the good work. This is my first posting. So I thought that I would add to this subject on "Portable Camp Shower". I came up with my concept 4 years ago. It mounts on to a tree as well to my Mini Van roof rack, in case there is no trees. But I live in the North West where we have lots of trees. The shower consists of 1"x4"(the mounting bracket) to attach to the front of the tree with two screws. With two hinged arms to attach to the side of the tree. One screw each. The metal frame is 1/2" EMT, used for electrical wiring. And some jack chain. The frame can be adjusted to any ground level. Two 6'x8' tarps makes up the curtains. I use a 2 1/2 gal pressure tank for the shower. Fill half the tank with cold water and the other half with boiling water. The tempture is just right. During the day I use the sprayer for washing my hands,dishes,spraying my Mt. Bike down. And a number of other things. For the shower. I attach the clear hose with shower head and shut off. I use a big plastic tire bag to stand on. Does the trick and folds up real small. All the materials fit into my duffel bag. The picture of all the materials has the mounting hinged arms(1"x4") folded out. When stored they are folded to the back and fits in the duffel bag. When at camp site. It only takes about 10 min or less to set up. Screws,screwdriver or screw gun is all you need for set up. Just thought I would send it your way. Any comments are welcomed. Have a great day!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5529[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5530[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5531[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5532[/ATTACH]
                          That is a pretty clever way to do the shower. I like the fact that you can make it as high or as large as you need. My only question is how do you attach the chain to the tree?
                          – E. B. White

Comment

Good question and good to hear from you James. I should have stated that I use a 1 1/2" screw eye that is screwed into the tree, 12" above the front mounting bracket in my posting. I wouldn't go any lower with the screw eye. Because you will have a difficult time adjusting the frame. I have "S" hooks on the end of the jack chain that attach to the screw eye on the tree. I try to keep things simple. The jack chain is longer then I need. That way I can adjust the front of the frame up or down. I hope that answered your question. "How do you attach the chain to the tree?" Here are four pictures of the shower frame and curtain on the side of my '95 Windstar Camping Van. Open for any comments. Have a great time camping this year.
                            Click image for larger version

Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	70524 Click image for larger version

Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	70525

Comment

Originally posted by Yrral48 View Post
                              Good question and good to hear from you James. I should have stated that I use a 1 1/2" screw eye that is screwed into the tree, 12" above the front mounting bracket in my posting. [ATTACH=CONFIG]5551[/ATTACH]I wouldn't go any lower with the screw eye. Because you will have a difficult time adjusting the frame. I have "S" hooks on the end of the jack chain that attach to the screw eye on the tree. I try to keep things simple. The jack chain is longer then I need. That way I can adjust the front of the frame up or down. I hope that answered your question. "How do you attach the chain to the tree?" Here are four pictures of the shower frame and curtain on the side of my '95 Windstar Camping Van. Open for any comments. Have a great time camping this year.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]5552[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5553[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5556[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5557[/ATTACH]
                              Ok...I feel like a bit of a jerk because the screws are damaging to the tree. Albeit very little. I was wondering if you coild accomplish the same thing with either rope or bungee cords wrapped around the tree.

I guess its not a big deal either way though and it IS an awesome idea for a shower.
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X