Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This might start some opinion battles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This might start some opinion battles...

Originally posted by TNONMYMIND View Post
    fyi, NYCgrrl; there are parks here in texas that do charge higher fees for lakeview/lakeside sites...
    I see the trend has traveled.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

To my thinking, it depends on what article of outdoor gear we're talking about and what made it cost so much. If someone had to have a custom make tent in pink and lavender, and had the money to pay someone to make it, I'd consider it a bit over the top. If another person paid $1,600 for a solo backpacking tent to use for their attempt of the AT, that's a horse of a different color, so to speak.

We've all see the person who has never experienced a certain activity and when they decide to try it they get the very best equipment. More money than brains but, let's face it, money can make up for a lot of shortcomings.

Is this topic any different for someone who goes to the latest and greatest sushi restaurant and is blown away by the exquisite meal they just had? $200 for a few bites and they don't even give you silverware? Let's face it, we all have our foibles.

My own belief is that if a person is hiking/backpacking/primitive camping alone, or in the deep backcountry, spending extra money on good equipment is a wise investment. I've had nights in my youth when I had to endure horrific weather and wasn't sure whether I'd get myself out of the bad situation before it was all through. Now when go into the back country, I feel confident that I am prepared for just about anything that mother nature can throw at me. That provides me with a level of comfort which I'm willing to pay for it.

To play off a Luther Ingram song; If lovin' good equipment is wroooooooooong, then I don't want to be right!
      Last edited by wiiawiwb; 05-03-2016, 05:46 AM.
      Moss Big Dipper
      Alaskan Guide 8
      Alaskan Guide 6
      NorthFace Tadpole 23
      ALPS Exteme 3
      Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

LOL, nice response Dr. Wiaweebe. Can't say I've met such people or ever seen a few-bite sushi joint, but my buddy's an awabi farmer, and I have seen metal chopsticks before.
        Last edited by tplife; 05-03-2016, 01:22 PM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
          To my thinking, it depends on what article of outdoor gear we're talking about and what made it cost so much. If someone had to have a custom make tent in pink and lavender, and had the money to pay someone to make it, I'd consider it a bit over the top. If another person paid $1,600 for a solo backpacking tent to use for their attempt of the AT, that's a horse of a different color, so to speak.

We've all see the person who has never experienced a certain activity and when they decide to try it they get the very best equipment. More money than brains but, let's face it, money can make up for a lot of shortcomings.

Is this topic any different for someone who goes to the latest and greatest sushi restaurant and is blown away by the exquisite meal they just had? $200 for a few bites and they don't even give you silverware? Let's face it, we all have our foibles.

My own belief is that if a person is hiking/backpacking/primitive camping alone, or in the deep backcountry, spending extra money on good equipment is a wise investment. I've had nights in my youth when I had to endure horrific weather and wasn't sure whether I'd get myself out of the bad situation before it was all through. Now when go into the back country, I feel confident that I am prepared for just about anything that mother nature can throw at me. That provides me with a level of comfort which I'm willing to pay for it.

To play off a Luther Ingram song; If lovin' good equipment is wroooooooooong, then I don't want to be right!

Interesting musical reference in a Billy Paul just died kinda way and then of course Prince loved purple but pink, not so much:D.

In general, I think people should never buy more than they can afford yet should aim for for the best bang for their buck.
          As it relates to camping.....I've learned that if you can buy that 1.6K AT hiking tent barely used for say 200.00-ya scored IF you plan a trip that will put it's attributes to good use. Not? Well than it's just a bragging rights moment or coup to sell to another.
          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I agree that deals can be had for lightly used equipment. A buddy of mine got a screaming deal on a kevlar canoe that someone bought and used a few times. The same can be said for tents and other equipment. Frankly, the person getting the screaming deal has ultimate bragging rights because he/she has great equipment and money in the till.
            Moss Big Dipper
            Alaskan Guide 8
            Alaskan Guide 6
            NorthFace Tadpole 23
            ALPS Exteme 3

Comment

I agree that deals can be had for lightly used equipment. A buddy of mine got a screaming deal on a kevlar canoe that someone bought and used a few times. The same can be said for tents and other equipment. Frankly, the person getting the screaming deal has ultimate bragging rights because he/she has great equipment and money in the till.
              Not necessarily. A $1600 tent bought for $200 is a "great deal" - but if it sits in a garage and rots, it's a waste of $200. I know folks who buy "great deals" regardless of what the item is - they throw their money away on stuff never used or enjoyed just for the bragging rights. I think buying smart is much better than buying a great deal. The guy who spends $100 on a Walmart tent and uses it 200 nights over 2 years, then replaces it is far smarter than the guy who bought that $1600 tent for $200 and used it for 10 nights.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Your premise is faulty. You're comparing someone who uses his equipment with someone who doesn't and trying to derive a conclusion from it.

Compare the person who bought the $1,600 tent for $200 and used it for the same 200 nights with someone who bought a $100 Walmart tent. I know which one of those two I'd want to be.
                Moss Big Dipper
                Alaskan Guide 8
                Alaskan Guide 6
                NorthFace Tadpole 23
                ALPS Exteme 3

Comment

Your premise is faulty. You're comparing someone who uses his equipment with someone who doesn't and trying to derive a conclusion from it.

Compare the person who bought the $1,600 tent for $200 and used it for the same 200 nights with someone who bought a $100 Walmart tent. I know which one of those two I'd want to be.
                  It's not a faulty premise, it's looking at the big picture. Yes, if the end use is the same, then the $1600 tent for $200 is a "great deal". But, you have to show the end result - simply buying the tent does not a great deal make. That's my point. I've seen too many people over the years get caught up in getting these "great deals" without ever understanding the end result - the end result is they threw away their hard earned money on something they never used or enjoyed. I've seen women buy dresses 5 sizes too small because "look it's on sale for $80 - down from $800". I've seen men buy old cars at "great deals" and left them to rot in the backyard. I've seen non-campers buy expensive camping gear at "great deals" because maybe they will start camping (which they never did). No matter how great a deal the price was, these people threw away their money. I've seen too many folks turn "getting a great deal" into an addiction and suffer for it.

For those who understand the importance of the end result, then the $1600 tent for $200 is truly a great deal.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    It's not a faulty premise, it's looking at the big picture. Yes, if the end use is the same, then the $1600 tent for $200 is a "great deal". But, you have to show the end result - simply buying the tent does not a great deal make. That's my point. I've seen too many people over the years get caught up in getting these "great deals" without ever understanding the end result - the end result is they threw away their hard earned money on something they never used or enjoyed. I've seen women buy dresses 5 sizes too small because "look it's on sale for $80 - down from $800". I've seen men buy old cars at "great deals" and left them to rot in the backyard. I've seen non-campers buy expensive camping gear at "great deals" because maybe they will start camping (which they never did). No matter how great a deal the price was, these people threw away their money. I've seen too many folks turn "getting a great deal" into an addiction and suffer for it.

For those who understand the importance of the end result, then the $1600 tent for $200 is truly a great deal.
                    Its all about getting the most bang for your buck. If you get that $1600 tent for $200 and it sits in your garage its entire life while I spend $250 on a $250 walmart tent and use it every month or two who got the better deal?

I would say that even though I paid more, I got the better deal and you wasted $200.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

LOL, loving all the philosophies in use:glasses: Thoreau wud prolly be proud.
                      Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-05-2016, 03:36 PM.
                      2017:

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                        Its all about getting the most bang for your buck. If you get that $1600 tent for $200 and it sits in your garage its entire life while I spend $250 on a $250 walmart tent and use it every month or two who got the better deal?

I would say that even though I paid more, I got the better deal and you wasted $200.
                        Exactly. It's not the price savings in and of itself - it's what you do with it.

Comment

Last edited by wiiawiwb; 05-05-2016, 05:20 PM.
                          Moss Big Dipper
                          Alaskan Guide 8
                          Alaskan Guide 6
                          NorthFace Tadpole 23
                          ALPS Exteme 3

Comment

expensive, or cheap if you like it thats really all that matters, if you use it then you get the enjoyment ,if it just sits on the shelf somebody going to get a good deal at the yard sale in a few years.

Comment

See? I thought the title would come into play eventually. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                                See? I thought the title would come into play eventually. :lol:
                                Precursor
                                2017:

Comment

Working...
                                X