Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This might start some opinion battles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This might start some opinion battles...

Ohhhhh and I forget to mention that my collapsible Snow Peak fire pit is genius, paid for itself in 2 seasons and is still buttkicking. .
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
      Ohhhhh and I forget to mention that my collapsible Snow Peak fire pit is genius, paid for itself in 2 seasons and is still buttkicking. .
      Your what now?
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

This little genius item here:

More info here: http://snowpeak.com/products/pack-an...iant=671153305

Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post

Ah...thanks. that looks pretty cool.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

I kinda believe that you usually get what you pay for, and my opinion is to purchase the best that you can afford. It will take time and research but to me, it's worth it.

Buy less but by good.

Comment

i dont quite get it,
              when/where is that used for?

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                i dont quite get it,
                when/where is that used for?
                Anywhere that you pull up but doesn't have a fire pit or a fire ring already there.
                – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                  Anywhere that you pull up but doesn't have a fire pit or a fire ring already there.
                  'Xactly! There are no firepits @ the place I take the kiddos camping. LOL, I know I thought it strange when I got there for the 1st time too. However you can rent one from a camp store for ......about $3.00 a day. Adds up when you are staying there for 14-21 days. Many people bring their own but I have space limitations both in the car and storing it at home (no attic or garage). The Snow Peak version folds flat and can also be used as a grill. No need to buy any of the accessories for grilling either. Nowadays I use a rack from an oven.

Pics of the fire pit/grill doing double duty:

and

2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

However you can rent one from a camp store for ......about $3.00 a day.
                    Rent a fire pit? Really? People are getting pretty slick in coming up with ways to dig into your wallet. Next thing you know they'll charge for trees and call it a shade fee.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      Rent a fire pit? Really? People are getting pretty slick in coming up with ways to dig into your wallet. Next thing you know they'll charge for trees and call it a shade fee.
                      I've never seen a rental fire pit. Amazing. Our fire pits are included in the price --- I am living the Dream!!! lol

and shhhhhhh, don't be putting any new fee ideas out there. They'll just price tier it. Full Sun Site: $x Full Shade Site $XX. Of course, under that scenario, maybe all the shady sites wouldn't reserve out 2 mins after the booking window opens. hmmmm.

Back to the original OP question: Yes, there are companies out there known for gear with a high end price to match. Is it worth it? idk..personally I would never fork over the $$$ for it retail, but others have no problem (ohhh..but finding it on clearance is always a treat). And I find some stuff ridiculously priced in my opinion. I guess it is about the same with everything else also...homes, cars, electronics, etc. The range is out there in almost every facet of our lives---hot dogs or a steak tonight? lol Different strokes for different folks. If you want it and can afford it...enjoy!

fyi NYCgrrl...I love my Snow Peak mini Hozuki lanterns. I think you have the larger size with the usb connection. Mine are smaller. A bit high priced for a small 3AAA lantern, but the warm color light they emit is easy on my eyes.
                      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        Or charge more for lakefront sites.
                        2017:

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post

fyi NYCgrrl...I love my Snow Peak mini Hozuki lanterns. I think you have the larger size with the usb connection. Mine are smaller. A bit high priced for a small 3AAA lantern, but the warm color light they emit is easy on my eyes.
                          I have the Tulip which is actually plugged into my laptop (the better to seeeeeeeeeeee U my dear muhahahaha) right now and prolly the mini Hozuki as opposed to the larger one. Easy on the eyes for me too and no problem seeing different colored backgammon stones now. The only problem w/ the Hozuki is that some children think it's great to play catch with. Just hooligans.
                          2017:

Comment

I've never seen a rental fire pit. Amazing. Our fire pits are included in the price --- I am living the Dream!!! lol

and shhhhhhh, don't be putting any new fee ideas out there. They'll just price tier it. Full Sun Site: $x Full Shade Site $XX. Of course, under that scenario, maybe all the shady sites wouldn't reserve out 2 mins after the booking window opens. hmmmm.

Back to the original OP question: Yes, there are companies out there known for gear with a high end price to match. Is it worth it? idk..personally I would never fork over the $$$ for it retail, but others have no problem (ohhh..but finding it on clearance is always a treat). And I find some stuff ridiculously priced in my opinion. I guess it is about the same with everything else also...homes, cars, electronics, etc. The range is out there in almost every facet of our lives---hot dogs or a steak tonight? lol Different strokes for different folks. If you want it and can afford it...enjoy!

Excuse me sir. Wa have to confiscat your canopy due to unauthorized use of shade.
                            – E. B. White

Comment

Or charge more for lakefront sites.
                              fyi, NYCgrrl; there are parks here in texas that do charge higher fees for lakeview/lakeside sites...

Comment

I've never seen a rental fire pit.
                                The concessionaire uses galvanized wash tubs and cinder blocks as fire pits. Talk about a money making endeavor:D.
                                I've seen a lot of the local campers drag in metal washing machine tubs (brilliant!) or their backyard pits complete w/ cutouts of buffalo and deer. The only requirement the state puts on is the pit cannot rest directly on the ground.

The most memorable DIY pit I ever saw was a homemade combo that literally held about 1/4 cord of wood. Every morning was spent placing wood in different patterns: vertical, herringbone, short log cabin, etc.
                                Every evening was spent burning it, drinking beer and eating Subway sandwiches.

Campground scuttlebutt said they were local fire volunteers on a tear.
                                2017:

Comment

Working...
                                X