After the cooking, the cleanup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: After the cooking, the cleanup.

I have the clipper, so he's protected inside when i'm off hiking, etc. And no worries about an eagle or hawk getting sight of him and trying for him.

It works great as his travel cage fits perfectly on the back half of the dinette and I have it strapped on with bungie cords so it won't move while driving. If we're at a rally, I bring him and his cage outside so he can visit with everyone (he rarely talks to them, but he listens).

When his sister was alive, I hadn't any intention of taking them camping. But when she died, I was really worried about him being lonely with the dogs and I gone for 4 days at a time. At first, I took him to stay with a friend, but she started joining me camping, so he'd still be alone. So, I took him on a test trip. He was very quiet the entire time (except the drive there and back), but didn't seem upset, so I took him the next time. Now, he's an old hat at it. With the cage setup, he travels in it rather than the cat carrier - loves it since he can see out the windows as we drive so no more screaming on the road. He is comfortable in the RV itself and acts just like at home (except he eats bbq chips in the RV but not at home - guess it's a camping thing).
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

When we go on long or short camping trips the bird stays at my home and either a family member sleeps in or they drop by daily to feed and entertain him.; I think my mother calls it a staycation. The TV is set to his favorite music channel 24/7 ( he thinks Aretha is all that and a piece of cake) and the volume is adjusted at night. I wish someone would make a bird carrier similar to a baby carrier that I see small dogs and cats in. Maybe a little canopy/ awning over the top and a raptor wouldn't consider him an appetizer.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Ask and you shall receive: http://www.celltei.com/birdcart.html
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          Ask and you shall receive: http://www.celltei.com/birdcart.html
          Ahahahaha........reminds me of my younger sister wrapping him in a receiving blanket and placing him in her dolly's stroller.
          Errrrr I wouldn't embarrass him in that manner anymore.......:D.
          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post

Hobo packs! Love em to the nth and don't they just resolve many clean up concerns?:cool:.
            I never knew crock pot liners existed until some cyber friends of another site acquainted me w/ em. 'Course they also tried to convince me we could go snipe hunting if I ever passed their way but when I realised they were pulling my leg I offered to sell them a bridge...
            I know this is more of a bird thread now, but I'll comment on this anyway.

Not just hobo packs. I literally use tin foil as a pan. I fry eggs on it and basically use it in the same way you would use a frying pan.

I used to have camping pans when my kids were growing up and it was necessary to have semi-balanced meals. For many years now, I haven't used pans at all. It's fantastic!

Comment

I've used tin foil for cookie trays for years now. Works great. Haven't thought of doing it for things like eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post

Not just hobo packs. I literally use tin foil as a pan. I fry eggs on it and basically use it in the same way you would use a frying pan.

I used to have camping pans when my kids were growing up and it was necessary to have semi-balanced meals. For many years now, I haven't used pans at all. It's fantastic!
                From clean up, to cooking vessels, to birds, and back again.
                I like threads like this since they mimic RL conversations:cool:.

I've used tin foil for cookie trays for years now. Works great. Haven't thought of doing it for things like eggs.
                I'd love for youse to expand on your foil cooking techniques: do you fold the foil several times for strength or use a single ply? Do you crimp the edges...what's your favorite type of foil? Do you use the non stick version? When using the foil for cookie tray how do stabilise it?
                Last edited by NYCgrrl; 10-11-2015, 12:26 AM.
                2017:

Comment

isoc, I don't know if you are aware of it but, over the years Coleman produced many different accessories for their stoves that can really broaden you're horizons as far as "what to cook". Everything from an oven that folds flat for travel and yet does a great job baking biscuits and muffins, Corn bread, etc. on the stove-top to a drip percolator that operates on the stove-top instead of using electricity, to a variety of two-burner griddles that make breakfast a snap. Check out the Coleman Collectors Forum (I posted the link in the "Liquid fuel stove question" thread three threads below this one.) Have fun!

Comment

Though I'd consider foil use, my wife will want to wash and re-use the foil anyhow, so I'll probably use skillets and pans. Those hobo packs do look interesting, however. - Ted

Comment

My birds have travelled to Florida and Las Vegas and back and enjoy the travel. However, it is not always easy to find a pet friendly motel on the way, and lugging cages etc in and out of the room adds to the inconvenience. My daughter lives near us, and she is glad to "bird sit" for weeks at a time, so that's what we do now. - Ted

Comment

Originally posted by isoc View Post
                        Though I'd consider foil use, my wife will want to wash and re-use the foil anyhow, so I'll probably use skillets and pans. Those hobo packs do look interesting, however. - Ted
                        This made me laugh out loud. Remind me of my grandmother. She used bread wrappers / bags the way we use Ziploc bags today. She always washed and reused foil. All of her "tupperware" was butter and other food tubs. I have to admit to the reuse of butter and Cool Whip tubs, but the bread wrapper and washing of tin foil I always took a pass on. :-)

Comment

I'd love to expand on foil cookery for when the junior dishwashers start mumbling about how "she" (err that would be me:D) don't do NOTHING but dirty stuff for them to wash...

Or when I uhm somehow leave all the pots with the doorman whilst packing the car to go camping and suddenly get a call from him as we are already driving on I-95 apprising me of where they are:out:.

I still reuse lots of takeout containers for the house. Comes in handy when the holiday entertainment season starts and prevents me from being peeved over what family member or friend has absconded with what casserole dish. I just plop em on the table with appropriate lids when dessert is served and everyone can take leftovers to their hearts' content.

I draw the line at washing aluminum foil though.

My grandmother always saved brown paper bags to drain fried chicken and such and stored it in the no electricity shed off the back of her kitchen that led to the garden. Used to scare the bejezzes out of me when out of me when she sent me in there to get one. My paper bags (used in much the same way and harder to come by) are stored in a well lighted pantry sooooo my DGD will have to find something else to be traumatised by..hmm maybe a plate of cheese?
                          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 10-12-2015, 07:13 AM.
                          2017:

Comment

This made me laugh out loud. Remind me of my grandmother. She used bread wrappers / bags the way we use Ziploc bags today. She always washed and reused foil. All of her "tupperware" was butter and other food tubs. I have to admit to the reuse of butter and Cool Whip tubs, but the bread wrapper and washing of tin foil I always took a pass on. :-)
                            According to a family "oral tradition" my great grandmother saved used string! One roll labelled "long string", another "short string" and the last "string too short to use". My wife does wash and save Ziploc bags, too, and we use the plastic bags from the grocery store as "liners" for our kitchen and other trash cans.

Comment

My grandmother sorted her garbage. She would use empty cans to separate the garbage contents - one held veggie pieces, one held paper, one held liquids, and so on. She had the neatest and cleanest trashcan in the world.

Comment

My grandmother sorted her garbage. She would use empty cans to separate the garbage contents - one held veggie pieces, one held paper, one held liquids, and so on. She had the neatest and cleanest trashcan in the world.
                                My grandmothers were big on garbage separation too. I suspect this had something to do with WWII, rationing, and recycling for the war effort. Remember those metal drives? And the Victory gardens?

Both my grandmothers used organic garbage as compost. In fact one day I was visiting the Jamaican one with my by then teenage sons and she asked for help with her gardening. Yanno clean the awning and patio furniture. Oh and that big can at the end of the garage? Move it closer to the garden entrance. Yes well that garbage can was filled with wormy compost and I'm sure my boys were going to go screaming into the night at the sight of it:he:. Head ups... my then in her late '80's grandmother and I moved the can.
                                I knew right then and there that my boys would never become sanitation or sewer workers, fishermen or farmers.
                                2017:

Comment

Working...
                                X