Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: After the cooking, the cleanup.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    Never wash pots, pans, etc near the public water pump or in the toilet sink, etc.

Carry water back to camp and wash. Be considerate of the campers who arrive after you. Nobody wants to arrive at a campsite to find scattered rice, burnt eggs, noodle, etc at the campsite.

Clean up your mess including the mess you make when cleaning!. This includes not leaving trash in the fire pit or cigarette butts laying about.
    Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
      I'm lazy - non-stick is easy to clean, so that's what I get. If I die from it, at least I didn't spend my life doing the pots and pans.
      Don't worry, you won't die from it. The "teflon poisoning" crowd are too busy avoiding gluten and living in the last century to realize that non-stick doesn't contain Teflon and that wheat is nutritious. I'm willing to pay a few more bucks for pans that don't weigh 12 pounds or need delicate handling while I'm out in the pines, so you're in good company.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Good morning tp! Can always count on you for an interesting start of the day. Hope you had your Tang already.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          Never wash pots, pans, etc near the public water pump or in the toilet sink, etc.

Carry water back to camp and wash. Be considerate of the campers who arrive after you. Nobody wants to arrive at a campsite to find scattered rice, burnt eggs, noodle, etc at the campsite.

Clean up your mess including the mess you make when cleaning!. This includes not leaving trash in the fire pit or cigarette butts laying about.
          This reminds me of our last time at our local State park. There is a big sign on the water Spicket saying not to do dishes at the Spicket. I walked over to get water and a girl standing there doing her dishes. She was complaining that she had already used half bottle of Dawn and she couldn't get the dishes clean in the cold water why didn't they have hot. I suggested that she took her pans back to her camp and heat water in them on her stove. The girl looked at me like I had horns coming out of the top of my head and said that wood waste fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
            This reminds me of our last time at our local State park. There is a big sign on the water Spicket saying not to do dishes at the Spicket. I walked over to get water and a girl standing there doing her dishes. She was complaining that she had already used half bottle of Dawn and she couldn't get the dishes clean in the cold water why didn't they have hot. I suggested that she took her pans back to her camp and heat water in them on her stove. The girl looked at me like I had horns coming out of the top of my head and said that wood waste fuel.
            Ya can't make stuff up like that!:he: Some people don't get it and never will.
            2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
              Don't worry, you won't die from it. The "teflon poisoning" crowd are too busy avoiding gluten and living in the last century to realize that non-stick doesn't contain Teflon and that wheat is nutritious. I'm willing to pay a few more bucks for pans that don't weigh 12 pounds or need delicate handling while I'm out in the pines, so you're in good company.
              Well, first, Teflon IS used for non-stick cookware. However not all non-stick cookware is Teflon.

Second, it's not the Teflon itself that is dangerous, it's the ingredient, PFOE, that is dangerous.

As to how dangerous, that has not been fully determined one way or the other. It IS extremely dangerous to birds. It is linked to (but not necessarily the cause of) bladder, kidney and testicular cancers. In addition, due to the KNOWN respiratory danger to birds, it is a potential risk for those with compromised respiratory systems.

So, while you are certain I won't die from using my non-stick pans, I am not quite so confident. I DO have a compromised respiratory system. So, I have compromised by purchasing and using PFOE-free non-stick cookware. If these are truly any safer than the others, only time and research will tell. But as I'm lazy, I am accepting that potential risk.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Non stick is some nasty stuff
                they are also only determined safe until certain temperatures
                once they reach those temps and release the chemicals that stuff gets in your food

Comment

That "Teflon Stuff" is not poisonous if injected, and passes through your system as it's not absorbed in any way. There was a time when companies used PFOA (Perfluorooctanoic Acid) in their process, and it was totally burned away to make non-stick pans - and no PFOA of any significance remained to be considered unsafe. Because it's considered a pollutant, I challenge you to find any company using PFOA in their manufacturing process. As an O-chemist, I'm telling you the skinny, it's cheaper to not use it in the manufacturing process than it is to truck the stuff out as hazardous waste. And "sorry for hijacking the thread".
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Yes, there ARE non-stick cookware that have PFOE in their manufacturing.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I do know that many respected food professionals value and use non stick pans. In fact Christopher Kimball 's magazine, Cook's Illustrated, rates it better than most CI skillets when used to cook eggs and fish fillets. I accept... the rigorousness of his organisation's testing but hey...my pots are old and valued "friends" what I know how they operate so no sense in me re-inventing my wheels on that level. I would never say that I wouldn't eat a meal another cooked on a non stick pan just it has no use in my kitchen.
                      2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        ...I know how they operate so no sense in me re-inventing my wheels on that level.
                        NO!
                        Unacceptable.
                        You must comply.
                        You must assimilate.
                        We are Borg.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          NO!
                          Unacceptable.
                          You must comply.
                          You must assimilate.
                          We are Borg.
                          :lock::blowingup:

....somehow I don't think this can be fixed with coat hangers, vise grips, duct tape or paracord. The jury is still out in zip ties but but yanno that epoxy putty is looking mighty appetizing...
                          2017:

Comment

:lock::blowingup:

....somehow I don't think this can be fixed with coat hangers, vise grips, duct tape or paracord. The jury is still out in zip ties but but yanno that epoxy putty is looking mighty appetizing...

Hmm, actually...

You could create the two dish pans out of duct tape, use the coat hangers to scrape off the food, and use the vice grips as handles for the dish pans.

Comment

I do know that many respected food professionals value and use non stick pans. In fact Christopher Kimball 's magazine, Cook's Illustrated, rates it better than most CI skillets when used to cook eggs and fish fillets. I accept... the rigorousness of his organisation's testing but hey...my pots are old and valued "friends" what I know how they operate so no sense in me re-inventing my wheels on that level. I would never say that I wouldn't eat a meal another cooked on a non stick pan just it has no use in my kitchen.
                              Years ago my brother in law bought his mother some new pots and pans, as what she had was a Heinz57 mix of everything she had from the past 40 years. She thanked him, but the next time he came home the new pots and pans were back in the box they came in. When he asked Mom "Why are you still using those old pots and pans?" she said "They are my friends."
                              Last edited by isoc; 10-09-2015, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I'll consider a non-stick pan for camping, but will never use it at home as if it were accidently over heated it is possible that my African Gray parrot and Cockatiel will be in distress or die. Taking no chances with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X