Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Liquid Fuel Stove Question

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
    I collect Coleman lanterns and stoves. They are what I carry when camping. My experience has been to leave the fuel in the tank. As long as it is Coleman fuel and not Automobile gas I see no reason to drain the tanks. Now if you do not expect to use the stove for years to come I would drain it. The newer tanks on 413 and 425 models can not even be completely emptied by simply pouring the fuel back out of the filler cap. The main problem with Colman stoves and lanterns is rust in the tanks. If you store a tank outside and not in a temperature controlled environment the tank will slowly take on moisture do to temperature changes and condensation. The better the fuel cap gasket is the longer it takes to happen.
    Bluestart99, you are correct that the OLD stove tanks would rust. Since around the 1990s, Coleman started to coat the inside of the fuel tank with an anti-rust coating. This is important for all those folks on the forums that like to use old stoves and lanterns like the family heirlooms. The cause of this moisture, however is not from improper storage as you assumed. The moisture problem is from pumping ambiant air into the tank which contains moisture. Under pressure, the moisture condenses and becomes water and sits at the bottom of the tank. This is why it is a good idea to clean out your stove tanks periodically (not necessary after every use). You empty your fuel tank and swirl some pure alcohol or fuel line cleaner inside your tank then pour that out too which helps collect and remove some of the moisture residue inside the tank.

In OLD Coleman stoves and lanterns, the gasket material on the fuel cap will dry out and crack if exposed to alcohol for long periods of time, so don't overdo it with the alcohol. For this same reason, I question the wisdom of using oil on this gasket. The oil could degrade this gasket. Newer Coleman multi fuel stoves use a different material for this gasket.
    Last edited by Mike; 10-03-2015, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Bluestart99, you are correct that the OLD stove tanks would rust. Since around the 1990s, Coleman started to coat the inside of the fuel tank with an anti-rust coating. This is important for all those folks on the forums that like to use old stoves and lanterns like the family heirlooms. The cause of this moisture, however is not from improper storage as you assumed. The moisture problem is from pumping ambiant air into the tank which contains moisture. Under pressure, the moisture condenses and becomes water and sits at the bottom of the tank. This is why it is a good idea to clean out your stove tanks periodically (not necessary after every use). You empty your fuel tank and swirl some pure alcohol or fuel line cleaner inside your tank then pour that out too which helps collect and remove some of the moisture residue inside the tank.

In OLD Coleman stoves and lanterns, the gasket material on the fuel cap will dry out and crack if exposed to alcohol for long periods of time, so don't overdo it with the alcohol. For this same reason, I question the wisdom of using oil on this gasket. The oil could degrade this gasket. Newer Coleman multi fuel stoves use a different material for this gasket.

Mike, are you talking about the original leather pump cups? I believe it was recommended that they be oiled from time to time to keep them pliant. The newer pump cups are made of some sort of man made (can't recall if it's plastic or something else) and need no such maintenance.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
        I have and use the white gas stove and lantern that my dad used with we were kids. The lantern even has the 1967 date on the bottom, with the month.

Obviously, I've replaced more mantles on the lantern than I can count. On the stove, I have only replaced the generator once. I have never emptied either of them between trips. The way the fuel tank fits inside the stove makes it impossible for the tank to turn into a potentially leaking position. Even so, both pieces have seals so air tight that I can't imagine that would ever happen even if they were stored upside down.

My dad also never emptied fuel. The Coleman fuel jug lasts a long, long time. People I know who use propane are always buying the little tanks. I buy fuel once every few years. Never had any problem with the equipment or the fuel.

ETA: I am glad that before reading this thread I had no idea the fuel was supposed to be emptied between trips. I am borderline neurotic about taking care of things and this would have added to my to-do or to-be-annoyed-that-husband-didn't-do list.
        I was mightily peeved this summer to find that the gallon can of Coleman was nowhere to be found within a 40 mile radius of the campground. Only found one place that sold the quart plastic bottle. Best was when I'd ask for Coleman fuel and some young whippersnapper would point me to the propane display...what a world, what a world.......
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by aiannarelli View Post
          I am new to camping and need some advice. The liquid fuel stoves seem to hold a fair amount of fuel. I have seen some posts that say maybe enough for 10 days of camping
          . It can last for 10 days depending how you cook. Lot's of high heat sauteing or stir frying? No. Low flame cooking and reheating? Yes I think it's possible but I've never traveled for that length of time w/o a backup qt.
          Originally posted by aiannarelli View Post
          Well my camping would be for only a couple of days and I am concerned about unused fuel. First off, does it go bad? Also, does it leak or spill out of the burners when driving with fuel in the stove tank or do I need to remove the fuel?

Anthony
          I'm with the majority opinion on this aspect: fuel takes a really long time to degrade in my region which isn't particularly humid or rainy. I've been storing the fuel in the tank during the off season for years w/ no adverse effect. As for leaking...as long as the...filler cap is closed fuel will not leak from the tank.
          2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
            Mike, are you talking about the original leather pump cups? I believe it was recommended that they be oiled from time to time to keep them pliant. The newer pump cups are made of some sort of man made (can't recall if it's plastic or something else) and need no such maintenance.
            OH! Yes, the pump piston gaskets must be oiled. I thought the mention was to oil the gasket on the fuel cap which might not be a good idea. Really, both the leather gaskets and the poly plastic gaskets need to be oiled to create an air tight barrier between the gasket and the pump housing.

So, a word on the pump piston gaskets. The old gaskets were made of leather. Believe it or not, Coleman still sells the leather style. The new gaskets are a poly plastic material. Both have advantages. The leather works better in very cold temperatures. The poly plastic gaskets last longer than the leather.

Changing the leather gaskets can be tricky because they do not always mold well into the pump housing and if there is a wrinkle, air will escape and they won't pump pressure. SO, if you change your old leather gasket - which is good maintanance - first oil it, and install it backwards on the pump rod, then slip it into the pump housing. This will allow the leather gasket to take on the more rounded shape of the pump housing. After a few days, flip the gasket around facing the correct position and it should fit nice and work well.
            Last edited by Mike; 10-03-2015, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              I was mightily peeved this summer to find that the gallon can of Coleman was nowhere to be found within a 40 mile radius of the campground. Only found one place that sold the quart plastic bottle. Best was when I'd ask for Coleman fuel and some young whippersnapper would point me to the propane display...what a world, what a world.......
              In a pinch, you can use automotive gasoline in your pld Coleman stove without any profound damage. Some folks overseas that do not have access to Coleman fuel use automotive gas in their Coleman stoves. There might be some very minor flair ups during use and OVER TIME (years), the stove generator will clog up. The truth is that your next use of Coleman fuel, which is naptha, will clean out a lot of the impurities that might remain from the previous use of automotive gasoline.

By the way, if you have a newer multi-fuel Coleman stove with a gray silver fuel tank, you can use automotive fuel without concern. Yes, Coleman fuel will keep the stove alive longer, but if you are using a new stove without any heritage value, use cheap car fuel and get a new stove in ten or fifteen years if it starts to get fussy. The money you will save in fuel cost will pay for a new stove many times over.

Oh, and BTW, I know what you mean about those young whippersnappers who don't know what Coleman fuel was. Now we know how Dad felt when he would ask for a carton of Pall Mall no filter cigarettes and the kid at the gas station would look at him like he was asking for something in a foreign language.
              Last edited by Mike; 10-03-2015, 07:47 AM.

Comment

With Coleman fuel now at $14/gallon everywhere I go, you bet your bottom dollar I'm using gasoline. The stove only cost me $30 to start with. The stove doesn't drink much, but my lantern sure does.
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                  With Coleman fuel now at $14/gallon everywhere I go, you bet your bottom dollar I'm using gasoline. The stove only cost me $30 to start with. The stove doesn't drink much, but my lantern sure does.
                  Every third use or so, use Coleman fuel in your stove/lantern to clean out the residue from the gasoline, or mix 1/3 Coleman fuel with your gasoline with each use.

Comment

I'm another that never cleans out the old Coleman fuel (white gas) I'm still using some from the early part of the century (likely 2003) but then I use it mostly in a Svea 123r not a Coleman stove. My Coleman two burner is propane powered and propane doesn't go bad.

Enjoy!
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Just in case anyone has anymore questions, go here: http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/ . All will be revealed... And I do mean all. Everything you ever wanted to know about Coleman, and maybe then some. The parent site, Old Coleman Parts .com is here: http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/home.php and is a great resource if you own some older models and you can't find parts-they've got 'em. Also exploded drawings, tutorials, and other helpful stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X