Camping...Can't wait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping...Can't wait

As most of my camping has been done in the Sierras and lower Cascades, I've been limited to camping just in the summer months. This year, I decided I really needed to find some more year round sites to offer more flexibility. So, from September through December, I have at least one trip planned each month. Maybe more if the weather allows. I figure this will give me a lot more quick and easy options for camping. Once my clipper gets its "dependability certification" (we've been working out an intermittent starting issue this past year), I will then start adding in some dispersed camping trips.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

The people I camp with are so predictable. I went on Facebook a few hours ago to kick off the idea of a September trip and, true to form, they've all seen the message (a running group message for about a year now) and no one's responded. So, as usual, someone in the next day or two will say something to the effect of "it won't work for me", another will chime in with "how about the weekend of...?" and, eventually, after a lot of trash talk, we'll get a date. Then, for the week or two before the trip, we'll all be talking about nothing but getting away for a few days. It can't happen soon enough for me. Gotta GO!

Comment

Headed out this coming weekend with a group of about 15-20 friends and I can't wait! We have people coming from VT, NH, ME and even one group from Saskatchewan, Canada! We stuff ourselves silly with all kinds of delicious meals and snacks, and usually do a murder mystery game for the whole group. Yeah, we are all MEGA nerds! LOL! But considering we all met through an online video game, it's pretty obvious we are nerds. hehe! Birds of a feather and all that... :P So excited to see everyone and get outdoors!!!
        Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

I am less than 2 weeks away if we make it. This trip has already been postponed a couple times. My will be happier because all the fire bans have been lifted by now and she was really not happy about not being able to have a camp fire.

The only problem now is that my daughter asked if her boyfriend can come. :(
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Since my camping is always done with fishing (feeding two addictions at one time), I am restricted to campsites on the water. Our state (Georgia) has closed a lot of camping areas. The place I normally go is no longer a state park, but a recreation area, not maintained very well, and closes mid September. There were three Corps of Engineers parks, but they all completely closed. Good news is that a local county has taken them over, and one will be open year round.
            I love to camp on the lake in October, even into November. A bit chilly on the water in the morning, but it usually warms up nicely. And, a campfire feels good. Really can't have a fire when the temp is 85+, like it is most evenings in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              The only problem now is that my daughter asked if her boyfriend can come. :(
              You already said the fire ban has been lifted - what's the problem?

Comment

Seems to me to be the perfect time to put the "fear of Dad" into this boyfriend...

LOL!
                Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  You already said the fire ban has been lifted - what's the problem?

I like the way you think :great:

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                  Seems to me to be the perfect time to put the "fear of Dad" into this boyfriend...

LOL!
                  THAT is already done. My daughter has told me on a couple of occasions that he is afraid of me.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Tell them "sure he can go. You bunk with your mom, the bf with me".
                    Nights camping in 2013-----12
                    Nights camping in 2014----- 4
                    Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                      I know how you feel and I am jealous but I have decided that I will not go camping until I get done working on my truck....which sucks because I am having trouble finding the part I need.

next time you should buy <a href="http://www.australianmanufacturedcampertrailers.org.au/">camper trailers</a>

Comment

Just went camping up in NH at Passaconaway camp site. This was my first time camping since I was about 15. Went with my sister, her fiance and my husband (his first time tent camping) it has resparked my love of camping! Going to a campsite in NY on the Battenkill River in a few weeks. Hoping to start camping more next season.

Comment

WooHoo!! I got my RV back from the mechanic's and he's running like a champ! I have a couple small interior updates to do and we're ready for a camping trip! Got one planned soon after Labor Day - can't wait for it!
                          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                            WooHoo!! I got my RV back from the mechanic's and he's running like a champ! I have a couple small interior updates to do and we're ready for a camping trip! Got one planned soon after Labor Day - can't wait for it!
                            Not much feels better than regaining your ride. Probably even better if your ride is taking you camping.
                            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by MichRocks View Post
                              New to the forum!! Really jealous of the reports!! I just turned 62 and the wife and I have been wanting to get back into camping for a long time; used to camp/backpack every single summer, but work, life got in the way, and haven't been camping in 10 years :( Just got the BUG- bad, and went out and bought a new Sportz truck-bed tent to go along with a backpack tent that we already have. About ready to take a 5 day trip to the Northern UP here in Michigan, will probably be moving sites every day, so the truck tent made sense. If we stay put at a site for a couple of days, it will be the ground-based backpacker tent, so we can drive around in the day. This is a wind-up to a lot more trips this year if it works out. Found out about 'dispersive' camping recently; really sounds like the way to go, especially with the 'leave-no-trace' mentality.
                              Happy camping!
                              Nice work on getting out again. Dispersed camping is my favorite way to go but does take a little extra effort to protect the habitat and leave no trace as you said. As a restoration biologist I am constantly seeing the impacts of more and more people outdoors. Do a little research before you head out to make sure you know how to identify native plants and the best practices. Have fun.

dave

Comment

Originally posted by MichRocks View Post
                                New to the forum!! Really jealous of the reports!! I just turned 62 and the wife and I have been wanting to get back into camping for a long time; used to camp/backpack every single summer, but work, life got in the way, and haven't been camping in 10 years :( Just got the BUG- bad, and went out and bought a new Sportz truck-bed tent to go along with a backpack tent that we already have. About ready to take a 5 day trip to the Northern UP here in Michigan, will probably be moving sites every day, so the truck tent made sense. If we stay put at a site for a couple of days, it will be the ground-based backpacker tent, so we can drive around in the day. This is a wind-up to a lot more trips this year if it works out. Found out about 'dispersive' camping recently; really sounds like the way to go, especially with the 'leave-no-trace' mentality.
                                Happy camping!

Hey yeah. Was this ever resolved?
                                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                                X