REI Membership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REI Membership

Is an REI membership worth the $20? Do they send you a lot of junk mail like catalogs and stuff or sell your name to a bunch of junk mail places?

Re: REI Membership

I've been a member since January and they really haven't bothered me.

That being said, it is worth the 20 bucks if only for the once a year Members Only 20% off one regularly priced item. Great time of year to get yourself a tent if the ones they carry suit your fancy. Or expensive sleeping bag, etc.

Other than that I really have no use for the dividend. I generally don't buy things unless they are on sale and I've cross-shopped on price. I haven't found ANYTHING that REI sells that I couldn't get cheaper from either Amazon or BackCountry.com.

Comment

When you apply for membership, on REI's form there is a space asking if you want to receive catalogs. To my knowledge they only will send catalogs if requested.
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I've been a member for years and since you only pay the membership fee once (as long as you spend at least $10 in the store each year, which is not hard to do) it has more than paid for itself many times over. I also feel that REI's return policy is worth paying a little extra for most things - if anything you buy fails, or you simply decide that it's not working out, they'll take it back with very few questions asked. I don't abuse that policy, but it's nice to know that they've got my back if I do have a problem.

They do mail out a catalog about 4 times a year (basically any time they have a major sale), but you can opt out of receiving those.

Comment

Is membership tied to returns?

Comment

No, but you don't need a receipt if you are a member.. they keep records in their system which are linked to your membership.

Comment

Originally posted by sarahspins View Post
              No, but you don't need a receipt if you are a member.. they keep records in their system which are linked to your membership.
              I can't help but to this policy. Can't stand carrying around lil bits of paper.
              So far I'm comfy with my REI membership and feel I've received my money's worth.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Jopopsy View Post
                it is worth the 20 bucks if only for the once a year Members Only 20% off one regularly priced item. Great time of year to get yourself a tent if the ones they carry suit your fancy. Or expensive sleeping bag, etc.
                When is the 20% off sale? Same time every year?

Comment

Originally posted by SmokyFire View Post
                  When is the 20% off sale? Same time every year?
                  I think it's generally around Memorial Day and lasts for a week.
                  2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

There are generally 4 of those a year... one in March when the dividends come out, then another in May that they call the "annual membership sale" and then another in October and November. THey often have outlet sales too where you can save 20% off an outlet item online... in fact there is one of those right now that ends tomorrow.

Comment

Their stores are great, staff very helpful, but prices are astronomical...I've bought gear at great prices at the A16 "swap-meet sale" (like EMS but smaller) in our SoCal area before at true clearance prices. We have a Sport Chalet that offers some of the same quality lines at much more competitive prices, day-in and day-out. None of them can beat eBay...
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by sarahspins View Post
                        There are generally 4 of those a year... one in March when the dividends come out, then another in May that they call the "annual membership sale" and then another in October and November. THey often have outlet sales too where you can save 20% off an outlet item online... in fact there is one of those right now that ends tomorrow.
                        Thanks for the heads up clarification!
                        For other companies I try not to shop for camp gear during the Fall/Winter (lessening return time) but good to recall this isn't the case w/ REI.
                        2017:

Comment

I'm a cheapskate, but I belong to REI, and buy most of my camping equipment from them. Yes, it's pricey, but very good. When you talk to one of their sales clerks, it's like talking to an expert. REI has modified their return policy because of abuse. It's now guarenteed for a year, which is better than most places. The membership gets you 10% off on all purchases every year, as long as you haven't used another coupon for the same purchase. Is the membership worth it? For me yes, you gotta make your own decision. The membership is for life as long as you spend $10.00 per year. Happy camping.
                          Last edited by gatordude; 06-17-2013, 03:22 PM.
                          Nights camping in 2013-----12
                          Nights camping in 2014----- 4
                          Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

I really like their used item sale that are only for REI members. I love finding little treasures that are still in great condition and may have been used a few times. Most of the stuff will be getting dirty anyways. I remember I ended up finding a CamelBak bag that I've been eying at for like 75% off! I had to buy the water reservoir but even after buying that, it still came out to being less than the retail price. REI's good at not spamming, but like most companies, they do send the occasional email blasts promoting sales and what not. I say it's pretty worth it if you tend to buy gear throughout the year.

Comment

As mentioned earlier there are sales that apply to all customers but co-op members are regularly offered additional discounts. For our family it's a no-brainer as many items we purchase are considered as consumables by us and since REI is quite large their buying power equates to competitive pricing on those items. Another benefit is the co-op member dividend that you accrue throughout the year. After the year is up you have access to that dividend amount as a direct discount against any purchase regardless of it's current price which means that waiting for a large seasonal sale and then applying the dividend nets a great price for some items. REI will also allow you to skip shipping costs if ordered via their website if you have the item shipped to your local REI location which is a great deal for very large items such as kayaks and bicycles.

Best wishes,
                              WanderinWhitlows
                              Best wishes,
                              The Wanderin' Whitlows

Comment

Working...
                              X