Alps XL sleep pad problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alps XL sleep pad problem

While I was camping this past weekend, the air valve on my Alps Comfort Series XL Pad came out. I know they have a lifetime warranty, so I decided to see how much a PITA getting this fix would be. I will post more as it happens.

my original email.

I have an Alps Comfort series XL pad. On this weekends camping trip one of the gold air valves came off the mat. I need to get this fixed, I do not have the receipt. What do I need to do? Do I take it back to the store? Will they accept it since I do not have the receipt? Thanks
    Shawn

The 1st Reply
    Hi Shawn,
    I’m sorry the valve came out of your air pad. I’m not sure of the policy where you purchased the air pad. You can certainly try to return it for an exchange since we have a lifetime warranty against defects it shouldn’t really matter how long you’ve had it, but some stores only do exchanges with a receipt proving you purchased it at their location.
    If you don’t have any luck, why don’t you email me a picture of the defective area and let me know where you purchased the air pad and when.
    And then we will go from there.

Thanks and have a great day!
    Laurie
    ALPS Mountaineering

Re: Alps XL sleep pad problem

Typically lifetime warranty means you mail it to their repair center (with a RA # they provide) at your shipping expense and they either repair or replace it and mail it back to you at their expense. Call their 800 number:

"Service under this warranty is provided to the original consumer purchaser. We prefer that you return the product to the dealer where you purchased it, but if that is inconvenient, you can call us at 800.344.2577 and we'll be happy to assist you. After we receive the product, we'll inspect it and determine if we can repair it or if it needs to be replaced. If you'd like items repaired that are not covered by our warranty, we'll do our best to give you a fair estimate of the charges and still repair the product for you."
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I sent this email on Wed with attached photo's and still haven't received a response. I tried calling the number and got a busy signal.

I called Jax Sporting Goods in Ft Collins. They said they require the reciept (which I don't have) for refunds, and they can't do an exchange since they do not carry the Alps Sleeping Pads any longer. I have attached photo's of the sleep pad and the missing air valve.
      Shawn Bebout

Comment

A week after the last email and I still haven't received a response, so I decided to email everyone on Alps contact webpage. Let's see if this helps any. TP, I think you are right, it would be better to buy products from REI. I would of had this taken care of by now since there are 2 REI's within 45 minutes of me.

I have emailed Laurie Kormeier and have not received a response in a week's time. Please read the emails from the bottom up and you will be brought up to speed on the email conversation. Basically I was on a camping trip and the air valve came out of my Alps sleeping pad. This did not make for a good nights sleep. Up until this point I had been very satified with Alps, but now, not so much. I have enclosed pictures of the sleep pad and problem areas. Please tell me what I need to do to get this problem resolved before my next caming trip in 2 weeks. I have also been posting emails to a camping website for everyone to view and see how the Alps Warranty process works. You can check that posting at
        http://www.campingforums.com/forum/showthread.php?3706-Alps-XL-sleep-pad-problem

I have tried calling the 1-800 number and either received a busy signal or a "we are closed" recording.
        Thanks
        Shawn Bebout

Comment

Well, I received an email from Laurie on Friday. I don't know if it was an email to her, the whole companies emailing list, or including a link to the warranty adventure blog from this site. She said she thought she had sent me the return info and was awaiting the return of the pad to continue towards a resolution. She asked me to cut the logo off the pad and mail the logo and stuff sack, then they would replace it. Normally I would of said OK, but I have my last trip of the year planned for this weekend, Oct 14-16. I informed her of the trip and she said she would put the new one in the mail and I could send the parts to the old one back when I got it. I have already received the Fed ex tracking info. I am glad it worked this way for a couple of reasons.
          1) I have a couple of different sleeping pads (5 total) and the Alps pad is hands down my favorite. It is 3" thick and I have been really satisfied with it. I know some people love therma rests, but this is my favortie. I would hated to have to boycott that company, as I really like thier product. Which leads me to point 2.
          2) I was so satisfied with the result of this issue, I have already purchased another Alps sleeping pad for my son's birthday present.

Bottom line, a mistake was made. More importantly, it was admitted to. Which is HUGE in my book. I will continue to buy Alps products and recommend them.
          Shawn

Comment

Working...
          X