Bear Spray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bear Spray

Yes, concerning bear spray it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! HS raises up a very good point. 44 magnum is the least a person should carry in the bush and likewise it's not just reserved for bears either. A wild pack of 'yotes brings back chilling memories! Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!....I'm startin to sound like a commercial....I'm outta here!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

With respect to shooting the bear, one must bear in mind (hmmm... unintentional pun...) that the bear is a very large animal, thick hide, organs are deep under tough muscle, and he has a high pressure blood system. So, there is simply no substitute for caliber and velocity! A bigger bullet cuts a bigger wound channel to bleed him out, and you must get enough penetration to reach the vitals. A 9mm may likely just PO him. Even with larger caliber, an immediate kill isn't guaranteed. But it does increase your chances of survival dramatically! Some outdoorsmen carry a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with solid slugs - but it's too easy to find, when the bruin is charging, that you left the shotgun leaning against the tree as you are engaged in doing something else. Uh-oh!!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Yes, I believe that for the purpose of self defense against a large animal like the brown bear, a 44 magnum is advisable if not mandatory. I will try my best get borrow one of those for this occasion. I have a 12 GA pump shotgun and have shot slugs with it. It has very little recoil and I kind of doubt it would be any more effective than (17) 9mm shots... Besides, I believe that it's actually illegal to carry long guns in some areas where you can carry handguns legally. And yes, I don't feel like lugging a shotgun everywhere I go.

Anyway, it bears consideration (pun, get it)? that the actual likelihood of having a bear incident is rather remote. There must be thousands of camper's who never have one bit of trouble and I'm just going to worry myself silly thinking of grizzly (pun intended) scenarios. I'm already wasting time and scaring myself imagining being beset by "ursus horriblis" in the middle of the night while camping in the middle of nowhere... :eek:
        Last edited by silverz51; 08-13-2011, 12:54 PM.

Comment

IMHO, if you are going to use a handgun to stop a bear attack, the best option is to fire into the air and allow the sound to scare the bear away. Anything below a .357 Mag has no chance to stop a bear unless it has you cuddled to it's chest and you can fire up through its neck to the brain with multiple shots. This is not a position I would want to be in. If the noise fails, then revert to Bear Spray to divert the attack.

I carry a 9mm, but it is for the two legged varmint. I have been camping since 1958 and have never had a situation with an animal that I could not deter without harm to either of us. People on the other hand can be another matter all together.
          Staying DRY is what it is all about and a little shade from a hot sun isn’t bad either. www.Flibitygiget.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott-Apple-Valley View Post
            As a matter of fact,, Yes http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6720870.shtml

I think its a must have in bear country, especially the time of year you may expect to find mothers w/cubs, the spray is cheap,, around 20 bucks,,
            Well, Jack Hanna knows his way around wild animals so if he's using it, it's got to be a deterrent. I just wrote a series of articles on bear attacks after doing a lot of research. They were making the news more than usual and it seemed odd. I think though as BigDog says, they have lost their fear of man, especially down here in the South. There are a lot of reports of them being in neighborhoods rifling through garage, etc. I grew up camping and they were everywhere then. It was uncommon NOT to see them but if you made noise, they were gone. Last fall I was out hiking and we saw one and made noise and it didn't even budge. Just kept looking at us and went back to eating berries or whatever. We yelled some more while were were still backing away (and snapping pictures) but it did not even phase it. I will have bear spray this fall when I return to that same area.
            "I don't like to trespass but sometimes you just find yourself over the line" - Bob Dylan
            Car Camping - Your Escape Shuttle to a Cutting Edge Vacation

Comment

I will definitely carry the bear spray when I go. I purchased it at REI along with the little holster. BTW, it was not cheap at all. I think the spray and holster set me back around $45... If I did not think it was necessary, I would not have parted with my $$

Comment

Originally posted by Flibitygiget View Post
                IMHO, if you are going to use a handgun to stop a bear attack, the best option is to fire into the air and allow the sound to scare the bear away. Anything below a .357 Mag has no chance to stop a bear unless it has you cuddled to it's chest and you can fire up through its neck to the brain with multiple shots. This is not a position I would want to be in. If the noise fails, then revert to Bear Spray to divert the attack.

I carry a 9mm, but it is for the two legged varmint. I have been camping since 1958 and have never had a situation with an animal that I could not deter without harm to either of us. People on the other hand can be another matter all together.
                Actually I think that's incorrect. You should see the size of the exit hole from a 5.56mm...it's HUGE! :cool: A bear is a mammal like any other, and greater stopping power typically sacrifices velocity. Both are important, large calibers can be improved with higher powder weights and smaller calibers with Corbin-type rounds. A friend I hunt with bagged a black with a 30:06 Remmy, but any .223 should do the same work due to its velocity.
                Last edited by tplife; 08-22-2011, 04:50 PM.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

It just isn't the caliber used either. Not all loads are created equal. I wouldn't use a home defense load on a bear, just the same I wouldn't use a hunting load for self defense (if possible). Again, The firearm is for the last resort only. Also serves purpose to keep landowners off my butt. Some of them in the mountains, think they own all the mountain, not just their land.
                  Here is what my SuperBlack Hawk has
                  http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...ct_detail&p=54

What about a thread or diagram on how to set up your camp for bear bells or advanced warning from animals. Like making a trip wire with bear bells on it.

Comment

I have actually been thinking along those lines. Whether it's 4 legged or 2 legged varieties, I would like to have some sort of warning if my campsite/tent is approached too closely when I'm asleep... I was thinking of stringing some fishing line about a perimeter a few yards away from the tent. Perhaps a foot or 2 above the ground and tie some sort of noise maker to it.
                    What do you think?

Comment

I can't do the electric fence, I have little kids with me. I could just imagine explaining that one to mom. I was thinking some Paracord with some sort of noise makers on it. Just don't know what type. Also for the two legged type's.

Comment

I too am considering buying some bear spray just for piece of mind.I don't carry any firearms but I have been reading so many forums lately about people saying you're nuts not to carry one while disperse camping.I think the air horn idea is good(I saw someone in here mention that).I am also thinking about picking up some cherry bombs as well,I saw someone mention this in another forum.

Comment

Go ahead and get your bear pepper spray. I got my I and I kept it handy when I was camping in El Morro and El Malpais. I did not need it but I felt much safer knowing I had it handy and ready to use. As far as the firearms, I don't trust my 9mm at all to stop any predator larger than a coyote of a fox. I would have to have the luckiest of shots to actually deal a mortal wound to the heart of lung of a bear or cougar. Even if I emptied a magazine into a bear charging at 40 mph from 25~50 feet away (which is probably impossible), it would probably just piss it off more. The spray will turn them away!

Comment

Originally posted by silverz51 View Post
                            Go ahead and get your bear pepper spray. I got my I and I kept it handy when I was camping in El Morro and El Malpais. I did not need it but I felt much safer knowing I had it handy and ready to use. As far as the firearms, I don't trust my 9mm at all to stop any predator larger than a coyote of a fox. I would have to have the luckiest of shots to actually deal a mortal wound to the heart of lung of a bear or cougar. Even if I emptied a magazine into a bear charging at 40 mph from 25~50 feet away (which is probably impossible), it would probably just piss it off more. The spray will turn them away!
                            Yep, go ahead, and do go safely...BTW, next trip to the gun store, ask the guy behind the counter to show you the 9mm defensive rounds and buy some...
                            Last edited by tplife; 09-30-2011, 04:43 PM.
                            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I already have the Glock loaded with defensive rounds and I carry an extra loaded magazine with JHP Remington 127 rounds. I'm no hunter or expert, but I know several and have done my own research. Although I'm a fair shot at 50' or so (I can put all my shots within a 4" circle), I don't believe for one second that shooting in self defense is going to be anything like shooting at paper squares in a range or tin cans in a field. Also, the 9mm is a pretty good man stopper in most cases, but not always... And a wild animal is incredibly more powerful and tough than any man. No way I'd feel confident of survival fending off a bear or lion attack with a 9mm pistol, regardless of the ammo used.

I have a sad little story that illuminates this topic. When I was a kid, a neighbor's little dog got rabies and in his pain and craziness bit the little girl who owned it. Pretty soon the whole neighborhood was all abuzz with the little rabid dog running around all over the place. Finally, they corralled the poor little thing and with great sadness they decided to destroy it. A neighbor came around carrying a pistol of some sort I think it was a .32 or .38. He shot the little dog in the head but failed to kill it! In desperation finally another man was found who throttled the dog to death... This was a little dog, a Bengi type of dog. He was shot through the head at point blank range, and still did not die quickly even at final stages of rabies... Imagine an enraged bear or lion......
                              Last edited by silverz51; 09-30-2011, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X