Bear Spray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Spray

How many of you carry Bear spray when camping ?

Re: Bear Spray

Originally posted by Scott-Apple-Valley View Post
    How many of you carry Bear spray when camping ?
    Hi Scott,

No, but I am going to start after all the attacks that have been in the news lately. Even the black bears are making some headlines although that looks like the campers were careless from my research. I wonder, have you see statistics where people were successful warding off Grizzlies with the bear spray?
    "I don't like to trespass but sometimes you just find yourself over the line" - Bob Dylan
    Car Camping - Your Escape Shuttle to a Cutting Edge Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by teric View Post
      Hi Scott,

No, but I am going to start after all the attacks that have been in the news lately. Even the black bears are making some headlines although that looks like the campers were careless from my research. I wonder, have you see statistics where people were successful warding off Grizzlies with the bear spray?
      As a matter of fact,, Yes http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6720870.shtml

I think its a must have in bear country, especially the time of year you may expect to find mothers w/cubs, the spray is cheap,, around 20 bucks,,

Comment

In many Eastern states, Black Bear hunting has been illegal for years, so the bears have lost their fear of man. Add in some poor camp cleanliness, and it's a disaster waiting to happen!

Here in sunny Florida, they have become a real nuisance, and dangerous too! The Black Bear has been taken off our 'Endangered Species" list, and we hope to be able to hunt them soon. Til then, 'bear spray' is the best alternative. IF one must kill a nuisance bear, we are told by the LEOs to make SURE we have clear evidence of the bear attacking before shooting. Unfortunately, this could prove quite painful....... :rolleyes:

How to tell the two kinds of Bear Scat.....

Black Bear.... has remains of berries and animal fur.

Brown Bear (Grizzly)....has 'bear bells' in it and smells faintly 'peppery'...... :cool:
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I carry bear spray with me, camping and hiking. And it's in my tent when I sleep, within easy reach.
          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Where do you buy it, and which is the best kind to get?

Comment

Ditto silverz51, I've never even heard of bear spray.. whats the best kind?

Comment

We have a hunting season for black bear in California every year. It's practical if you're not allowed to own a firearm. I have colleagues (trained military) who are here on work visas and not only cannot legally carry a firearm, but must also purchase the bear spray near their trailhead because it isn't allowed in checked luggage (hazardous material, aerosol). I wouldn't even consider it vs. a firearm for a variety of reasons involving accuracy, lack of loud report, reloadability, etc.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I bought mine at REI.
                  Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

By Googling 'bear spray', I found several sites selling it. Here is a site with some interesting info on Bear Sprays.

http://centerforwildlifeinformation....bearspray.html
                    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                      By Googling 'bear spray', I found several sites selling it. Here is a site with some interesting info on Bear Sprays.

http://centerforwildlifeinformation....bearspray.html
                      Great Link ! Thanks

Comment

^^^ agreed, I actually saw that link while Googling bear spray. I will pick up a can of it soon. I wonder if I should wait until I'm farther West than GA before I try to find it?

Comment

Originally posted by silverz51 View Post
                          ^^^ agreed, I actually saw that link while Googling bear spray. I will pick up a can of it soon. I wonder if I should wait until I'm farther West than GA before I try to find it?
                          you could just order online (if you have time)

Comment

Bear spray is a good last line of defense, but it is not a substitute for vigilance and following appropriate bear avoidance safety techniques. Never intentionally approach a bear because you think you will be safe because you’re carrying bear spray. Never approach and spray a passive bear to try to get it to leave the area. Bear spray is only meant to be used on charging or attacking bears.

If a bear charges you from a distance, spray a 2-3 second burst in the direction of the bear, pointing the canister slightly downwards and spraying with a slight side-to-side motion. This distributes an expanding cloud of spray that the bear must pass through before it gets close to you. Spray additional bursts if the bear continues toward you. Sometimes just the noise of the spray and the appearance of the spray cloud is enough to deter a bear from continuing its charge. Spray additional bursts if the bear makes additional charges.

If you have a sudden close encounter with a bear, spray at the front of the bear (because of the expanding cloud, you don’t have to take the time to try to aim carefully at the face or the eyes). Continue spraying until the bear either breaks off its charge or is going to make contact. If it is a grizzly bear and it’s going to make contact, drop to the ground and play dead and give the spray time to take effect. If it is a black bear, prepare to fight aggressively with any available weapons (fists, sticks, rocks, etc.) until the spray has time to take effect. Bear spray has been shown to reduce the length and severity of maulings.

If you decide to carry Bear Spray, small cans 7 oz only last about 3 seconds of discharge. Those run about $20. The larger cans will last longer($$$$), but again Bear Spray is designed to be used as a last resort. Usually bears will run from noise. Slamming pots together, an air horn. Of course a personal weapon, is a neccessity in states where grizz grow such as Idaho, Montana and you're disperse camping. We've camped in northern Idaho some years back and although we never even saw sign of bear we were happy to have our hammer.
                            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

HS, I plan to carry my Glock 17, but I wonder if it's a realistic option for the unthinkable (big bear attack). I'm a decent shot at 20' to 50'. I could ask my buddy to lend me his magnum revolver, I think it's either .357 or .44. Never have shot one of those though.... I certainly do not expect to have a dangerous bear encounter and definitely do not want to shoot one or shoot at anything else for that matter. I do believe it's completely legal to possess and carry your legal firearm in NFs and BLMs. I will probably get the spray too (better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it)

Comment

Working...
                              X