X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New toys

Originally posted by LITTLEfish View Post
    Got a cooler for a gift to the wifey .

Go figure it was 'ok' for me to spend the $$ on it after it was a gift, not so ok when it was just something nice to get for the trips haha.
    Well, I do carry when I camp and just about everywhere else but I prefer a .45 with solid tips to a .44 or a 9mm (better safe than dead in my opinion).

Cooler
    http://www.12volt-travel.com/tri-vol...qt-p-7602.html

And its 12volt so I don't have to worry about carrying ANYTHING extra to power it!
    !
    Holeygamoley!
    That's some gift!
    I'm sure she'll appreciate it and maybeeeee U as well :D.

Do give an end of season assessment, won't you?
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Uhmmm about those "needs"...I sent the MountainSmith system packing and purchased 2 sportmen's containers from Cabela's instead. I prefer the way these close over dollar store plastic containers as well as the fact that the width dimensions don't taper as they do in regular containers.
      Should make fitting ill shaped items easier to stow in the car and organise better.

My Princess has developed an interest in nature's critters (we watch the various birds land in a nearby lake from my windows and she feels a locale family of "ra-ca-coons" must be watched 24/7) so I'm currently evaluating binoculars.
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

My 9 mm loads will penetrate car doors. Your .45 won't. : it's an issue of velocity vs. stopping power. And that 12V refrigerator is for travelling it will quickly drain down your car battery once you're stopped - I have one of them, it's about 2/3 the size of yours but works the same way, we use it when on the road, but not for camping, and wouldn't consider wasting the AH in my Optima house battery on it either. That said, in campgrounds with electric hookups you can dispense with the ice and cooler draining routine.
        Last edited by tplife; 04-25-2011, 04:37 PM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

NYCgrrl - Maybe you and your niece would enjoy watching the live stream of the recently hatched Decorah eagles in their nest. The babies are getting bigger; watching them is addictive http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles
          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I think I will get a pot of some sort this year, I like to make chili or stew.
            Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Comment

Get yourself a cast iron dutch oven (10 or 12 inch). You can't do better for cooking chili or stew and the cast iron will keep your food warm much longer.
              Last edited by renodesertfox; 04-29-2011, 01:36 AM. Reason: mis-spelled word
              FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
                NYCgrrl - Maybe you and your niece would enjoy watching the live stream of the recently hatched Decorah eagles in their nest. The babies are getting bigger; watching them is addictive http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles
                Great info and link, Glitter! I thank you kindly.
                I'm sure she'll enjoy watching eaglets as so far her visual experience has been watching Pale Male's offspring swoop throughout the neighborhood.
                She missed the time, a hawk landed on my A/C unit and it's just as well..........the raptor did a wonderful job of putting my parrot into "shuddup" shock ( I do love him but 30+ years of listening to "I'm badddddddd" in parrot talk can be annoying) and convincing the parakeet that she could be a nervous canary....ya had to be there to get the full experience. Let's just say I was happy for the closed window.

Ohhhh and "the Princess' is my all my heart granddaughter .
                2017:

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
                  I think that getting my equipment ready for the season is like putting gifts under the tree for Christmas. The only difference is that Christmas only comes once a year, camping season lasts for 4 months!
                  Four months? Were I come from, camping is a year-round possibility! You may be missing out on 3/4 of your fun quota!

So far this year, I have obtained a Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter and SteriPEN Adventurer Opti Handheld UV Water Purifier. Neither have been used yet, but I'm crossing my fingers...

Also bought a Kelty Coyote 4750 backpack. It is a good pack, but I will upgrade again later in the year. Also bought a Kelty Lightyear 3D 45degree bag. Awesome and so lightweight.

Bought a Eureka Solitare, which is a cross between a bivy and a tent. I found it much too small for the dog and I to be comfortable, so it went back.

I am also waiting for the aluminum poles I ordered for my Eureka Apex 2XT. Chomping at the bit for that package to arrive.
                  Last edited by immortal_ben; 05-10-2011, 04:04 PM.
                  Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

I found the beverage cooler o my dreams!
                    It's tall enough to hold a bottle of opened wine ( or 2) and that works for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Island-B.../dp/B002SUGS7O
                    2017:

Comment

You go Girl!
                      FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

You go Girl!
                        Heheheheeeeeeeeeeeee..you must know me........

I swearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...this is the last necessity of the season ( Yes. It's true that I'll grumble about not working out the solar powered aspect of life alllllllllllll this summer but but I still have something to research the winter to come ) but it's so worthy how could I resist ?

http://www.sportinggoodsgalore.com/g...himney-starter
                        2017:

Comment

The JetBoil Sol titanium cooking system is pretty awesome! I just bought one a few weeks ago and can't wait to break it in. Heading up to CO this weekend for the memorial weekend. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Comment

I think that getting my equipment ready for the season is like putting gifts under the tree for Christmas. The only difference is that Christmas only comes once a year, camping season lasts for 4 months!
                            My camping season lasts 11. :D

Comment

Working...
                            X