New toys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New toys

Every year when spring rolls around, I start scouring the catalogs, stores and internet for a new piece of equipment for the upcoming camping/hunting season. This year I found a Smith and Wesson 329 44 mag that weighs only 25 oz unloaded. SInce I came face to face with a 300 lb bear last year, that pepper spray needs an upgrade.
    What have you found this year that you hope to include in your equipment?
    FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Re: New toys

An 1850 Watt genset, that is portable enough to take camping - IF I think I would need the power. In the high summer time in Florida - an AC in the TT or larger tent could make an outing comfy instead of sweltering! Next - get a small AC unit.......
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

On the GPS, my hunting buddy bought a Garvin GPS with the downloadable map capability and the map software for an additional $100. When he got it home and loaded it he found out that the software didn't map out the area we hunt. I went for the basic model and spent $150 less.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
        On the GPS, my hunting buddy bought a Garvin GPS with the downloadable map capability and the map software for an additional $100. When he got it home and loaded it he found out that the software didn't map out the area we hunt. I went for the basic model and spent $150 less.
        Yeah, I don't want nothing too too fancy. But also nothing too outdated. This is another reason why I wait before I buy. I get to see reviews and hear what people have to say.

Comment

Nothing fancy here so far. We bought a small throw rug for in front of our door and a runner to match for the kitchen area. Also adding a cake pan with lid that I found I had 2 new ones at home. Good for storage. We will be going through everything as we reload it for the season and probably removing and adding things as we do so.

Comment

I think that getting my equipment ready for the season is like putting gifts under the tree for Christmas. The only difference is that Christmas only comes once a year, camping season lasts for 4 months!

Comment

No real toys this year so far. I started camping only last fall, so I have much of what I "need". I used my REI dividend to splurge on a lightweight titanium pot that I liked; otherwise, I've just been replenishing supplies and picking up odds & ends.
              Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Oh...I got new toys...
                new camping fan from Walmart (only $6!), new LL Bean sleeping bags (30% off), cast iron combo cooker, new cooler...
                I kind of spoiled myself.

Comment

Congrats! It is the time of year to start picking up new stuff. It is still snowing up in the mountains around here but I am getting antsy for warm weather!

Comment

It must be a "Guy" thing, but I too get the itch to have "something new" for each camping season. ERven if it is only something small an inexpensive. This year it was a second pie iron for my cast iron campfire cooking gear.

Comment

I am finding that several "lite" campers are talking about using a tomahawk in the field instead of a hatchet due to the lighter weight. Here is the link for Cold Steel's offerings. http://www.coldsteel.com/trailhawk.html
                      They have good reviews and are light weight. I think I am going to get one to carry in the field this year.

Comment

We just purchased a hitch for my husband's car and will be looking for a cheap trailer next.

We don't want to have to drive two cars every time we go camping, so we figured we'd invest in the hitch and trailer. The trailer will be nice for other towing needs like taking the snow blower in for a much needed tuneup, hauling yard waste to the transfer station, being able to transport large purchases from the store, etc.

I found a small trailer for $120 or BO, I'm hoping it is still available once we've received our hitch and had it installed.

Camping will be so much easier with a small trailer. :cool:
                        "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                        ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

...toys? Why that implies the purchase is frivolous :D
                          Let's see...this year I needed a portable fire pit, another gear loft, MountainSmith packing system and I'm looking for a cooler tall enough for opened white wine bottles.
                          Oh and that tomahawk sounds interesting and gosh I need it to make kindling!.....heheheheeeeeeeeeeee
                          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
                            I am finding that several "lite" campers are talking about using a tomahawk in the field instead of a hatchet due to the lighter weight. Here is the link for Cold Steel's offerings. http://www.coldsteel.com/trailhawk.html
                            They have good reviews and are light weight. I think I am going to get one to carry in the field this year.
                            We have a hatchet made by Craftsman that has a carpenter's hammer on one end, blade on the other, and notch underneath. It will drive stakes into decomposed granite (hard pan for those of you who live in Yorba Linda), cut branches, and pull stakes back out using the notch and leverage. One tool does three jobs (using a 1943 surplus hatchet cover, of course). We don't pound nails for hanging things with it, because that will get you tossed out of campgrounds here in Cali...
                            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Got a cooler for a gift to the wifey .

Go figure it was 'ok' for me to spend the $$ on it after it was a gift, not so ok when it was just something nice to get for the trips haha.
                              Well, I do carry when I camp and just about everywhere else but I prefer a .45 with solid tips to a .44 or a 9mm (better safe than dead in my opinion).

Cooler
                              http://www.12volt-travel.com/tri-vol...qt-p-7602.html
                              And its 12volt so I don't have to worry about carrying ANYTHING extra to power it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X