X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solar Charger ?

Originally posted by Johnny Test View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3178[/ATTACH]
    Here is a picture of my panel. It has adaptors for some devices. I use it to charge my battery pack/inverter. The trickiest part is always the adaptors.

That universal battery charger will take forever to charge a battery, let alone more than one. It is about a 1 watt panel. 20 hours for one D cell!, about 3 for a AA battery. don't mean to be all negative. Just don't want u to get stuck outside waiting.

-Johnny
    Thanks for the tip! That was the one I was looking at getting.

Comment

I was wondering about those. I want to bring my GPS backpacking, but it eats batteries like candy. Was wondering where it would be lighter to bring a solar charger and rechargeable batteries, or just a a bunch of batteries.
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Buy a house battery, we use an Optima. It weighs 42 pounds and runs all our charging stations and electronics, although we use converters instead of inverters (inverters draw 5-20W of power just plugged into your power supply with nothing plugged into them). A solar panel setup only makes sense if you plan on long-term time off the grid vs. using a generator to charge your house batteries or want to invest $500 in a good solar system. We use rechargeable batteries in LED lamps and like anything else, the good ones cost more and you get what you pay for - although of course they don't quite last as long as a quality alkaline battery.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
          Buy a house battery, we use an Optima. It weighs 42 pounds and runs all our charging stations and electronics, although we use converters instead of inverters (inverters draw 5-20W of power just plugged into your power supply with nothing plugged into them).
          Somehow the idea of carrying something over 40 pounds sounds a little taxing for me. Then again, if I'll be going on a really long camping trip, I might just take your advice on this one.

Comment

I have my big battery attached to my trailer. For tent camping place it on one of those luggage rollers.

Comment

Originally posted by lizrfoust View Post
              Somehow the idea of carrying something over 40 pounds sounds a little taxing for me. Then again, if I'll be going on a really long camping trip, I might just take your advice on this one.
              We're talking "car camping" here. Many on this forum tote tents that weigh that much or more, but I don't heat them complaining. I just carry it to the site - it has a robust carrying strap, and it's smaller and lighter than other batteries, and because it's AGM technology you don't need to worry about acid stains on your clothes. While a lot heavier than the usual 3 sets of C batteries and others for power backup (cold and the outdoors are h*ll on battery life), I only have to buy it one time - and now I have more than enough power available for lighting, charging, etc. About the only thing missing at our campsite is two little wheels and a platform...think popup! :cool:
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I have yet to use my Solar Charger, but have been recharging my D and AA batteries via an AC-plug-in charger, to get a feel for how long these batteries actually last. I have found that right out of the package they are useless. I put them into a light or other device and discharge them, then give them a full charge - they seem to get better each time they are charged. They last as well as the normal AA batteries inm y CD player at work - don't get radio reception down the 'Rabbit Hole' of the lower basement (IT always ends up at the bottom...).
                My eight AA batteries last me a full week. I charge them back up on the weekend, four at a time.
                Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

This is for long term as us because the system is costly. Unfortunately I have too much electronics. My savior lately has been this little ACER with 4GB RAM, Dual AMD Core and full Windows using one third of my 16" laptop. I am writing this because too many are disappointed with solar using a laptop without ever considering that an 8GB RAM, I7 with a 16" screen is going to suck up everything...
                  I use Goal Zero for power. A 27W panel, 2 x Sherpa 120 and a 100W inverter. When we roll the Sherpas are also recharged or I use the solar panel. Since I do everything off line (except like now!!!) it has worked real well.
                  Be well... Ara and Spirit

Comment

Working...
                  X