Solar Charger ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Charger ?

Does anyone use a solar charger to charge cell phones and ipods while away from the grid? What do you recommend? What do you use and how do you like it?
    Thanks!

Re: Solar Charger ?

Having looked at how-to websites and portable solar setups available to provide power back to my "house battery", I realized that unless I wanted to spend around $500.00 for the panels, switchbox, large-gauge cables and fusing, I might as well save my money unless I plan on being out for a week or more at a time. YMMV!
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

My husband bought me a Solio for Christmas but I haven't tried it out yet.
      May you always have love to share,
      Health to spare
      And friends that care.

Comment

Originally posted by nearlywild View Post
        My husband bought me a Solio for Christmas but I haven't tried it out yet.
        How apropos! Just posted a thread about this subject on the car/tenting forum yesterday. Please do keep us updated on how well it works as I truly need one.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

We use one of these http://www.overlandadventureoutfitte...oxBrochure.pdf They work great for cells and other small electronics.
          http://www.overlandadventureoutfitters.com

Comment

Cool! A solar-powered flashlight battery charger (1800 ma?), but for $100 I'll pass...
            Last edited by tplife; 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Wardrow View Post
              We use one of these http://www.overlandadventureoutfitte...oxBrochure.pdf They work great for cells and other small electronics.
              Kewl!
              I'm awaiting emails back from Dell and Horizon Fuel Cells to see if this product will meet my energy requirements for the cells, laptop and other stuff!:cool:

tplife- I'm hoping the payoff in no longer having to be bothered with "C","D" and whatever "A" batteries makes this product worth my while. Time will tell.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

There are lot of campers, hikers and overall consumers buying solar charger left and right.

here are some:

Guide 10 Adventure Kit

2 in 1 Solar Charger

K3 Solar Wind Charger

There are many more but here are the ones that we get a response with.
                Last edited by liveecofriendly; 06-26-2011, 01:07 PM.
                Check Out Best Place For Quality Portable Solar Power & Solar Battery Charger Kits

Comment

Funny I saw this thread, was just looking at a power inverter rather than solar.

Comment

"Paddling_dot_net" has an interesting article on some solar power ideas.

http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?573

If you can't get on, membership is a freebie. It's a canoe/kayak site, but with some info for us campateers too!
                    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I use a brunton foldable solar panel. 26watts. I had a pic posted somewhere on this forum. lots of threads on electricity.

Comment

I just ordered this one from "OnlyBatteries":

ES907 Universal Solar Battery Charger (In Case)

http://www.onlybatteries.com/showite...t1=11&uid=1710

Charges four of either AA, AAA, C or D cell. Also has a 7VDC output they say can charge 6-volt items.
                        Too heavy for hiking, but should work well for car camping.

If you order this weekend, they have a special $5 off deal for the holiday.

Comment

Dawg...have you had good success with re-charge able batteries? I haven't...would like to know how your ES907 works when you have used it a spell! I been looking for a charger that you described, but hesitant to purchase.
                          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

The D-cells I have seem okay - I have been using them in a battery-powered O2COOL fan. They last about as well as regular alkalines,but I can recharge them. I currently have a charger that needs AC to work, and has over-charge protection. Works well, but I want 'off-grid' charging ability too. :cool:

I have some AA rechargeables too, and they work alright - one thing though, they all must be recharged right out of the pack!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4370.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	69386
                              Here is a picture of my panel. It has adaptors for some devices. I use it to charge my battery pack/inverter. The trickiest part is always the adaptors.

That universal battery charger will take forever to charge a battery, let alone more than one. It is about a 1 watt panel. 20 hours for one D cell!, about 3 for a AA battery. don't mean to be all negative. Just don't want u to get stuck outside waiting.

-Johnny
                              Last edited by Johnny Test; 09-06-2011, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X