coffee? YES!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kindlings View Post
    Funny story, I made sure to check out the day time temps for our camping trip, but really gave no thought to night-time temps. Big mistake. My wife and 4 yo were ok in there big bags, but all I had was a thin fleece bag. The temps dropped to about 40 and I found myself at 3am traveling to a wal-mart for a new sleeping bag. Wow it was cold.
    I can relate. I found out when camping in October on "Cold Mountain", NC - it was named that for a REASON!! I stupidly thought it would be a decent temp the whole weekend - it was til the last night - I nearly froze and a buddy had a spare sleeping bag to lend me - luckily! He had a spare bit of room in his truck and bike trailer too - so I got me and my bike trailered back home. I was really NOT looking forward to riding down off that frigid mountain!
    We were the last group to leave that MC campground, and they closed it for the season. But we did have the most AWESOME leaf peeping that year (2006) - locals said it was the best weekend display in years! Then the cold had all the leaves off the trees that final morning!
    So, I always plan for at least 20 degrees colder than I expect it to be.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
      So, I always plan for at least 20 degrees colder than I expect it to be.
      Great Advice... a little late, but advice I'll never forget!

Comment

I second the coleman coffe maker. I have been very happy with mine.

Comment

Here's a 3rd vote for the Coleman. I've been using one 4 years . Makes great coffee. A bit bulky and keeping coffe hot after brewing is a problem with it.

Comment

Use a big thermos? :D

Comment

I use the AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker. It makes such great coffee that I use it at home when I'm not camping. My plug in coffee maker hasn't seen any action for months.

You can get the AreoPress on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-80R08-...0950410&sr=8-9

Making numerous cups is pretty easy. Just pour boiling water into it, stir for 10 seconds, press into cup, remove unit from cup, top off cup with more boiling water. Kinda makes me feel like a coffee connoisseur when I'm making six cups at one time.

This unit is easy to use, quick and is nice and small, doesn't take up much room at all. My sister and mother also use one of these for their home coffee maker as well.
              "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
              ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

We just use a regular little camping perculator coffee pot. The same one we bought about 30 years ago! It has worked over a fire, on the camp stove and in a pinch when we had the RV on the real stove (the only time the "real" stove was ever used!)

I'll never forget when Doug (hubby) tried to make it, he forgot the COFFEE part and couldn't figure out why it perculated for over an hour and still no coffee.....we still laugh about that one. The guts were setting on the table with coffee in them while the pot was perking away on the fire.:D

We are big coffee drinkers - but this works just fine for when we are camping.

Comment

Hehehe!... I did that once with my little 4-cup Mr. Coffee - dang, that was some 'weak coffee'! :D

Comment

For the last couple of years we've brought a teapot with us, boil the water and then use a french press (or coffee press as many of you non-Seattleites call it). :D It does make you go through coffee quite a bit quicker than a standard drip machine, but it also makes one heck of a spectacular cup o' brew in the morning... Good times there! I'll have to look into the stove-top coffee pot from Coleman some of you mentioned earlier.

Something else I might try out next year:

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-S...2616568&sr=8-1

Sounds almost too good NOT to try!

Comment

Foo Foo Coffee It's Not!

Sir Lance, just tryin to help here. Go to page 7 or 8 in the camp cooking recipes and there is my method of espresso maker listed. Then go to my profile page by clicking on my name anywhere you find it. It will take you to my profile page and then find my photo albums and look at the Camp Gear Album and there is a photo of it. That's what we have been using to make "foo foo" coffee. That's someone else in this thread called it, if you read the entire thread. There is info here on Dutch Oven cooking too, spend some time reading. DO cookin is Man Cookin! Least ways I've been sayin' that for a very long time! Cooking with cast iron on any fire surface, it can't be beat because even with a wood fire the cast iron spreads the heat evenly across the surface of the pot, pan, whatever your fire choice! Get a pair of good heat resistant gloves and you'll be set. You can always use locking pliers as a lid-lifter, that is if you take some tools with you when you go campin. Actually saw a man trying to pound a tent stake with a rock, I loaned him my hammer! Man Cookin! I say! Read my threads on cast iron cooking and maintenance...don't clean your pot with water, it'll rust the pot! Got questions ask...
                      Last edited by renodesertfox; 08-24-2010, 01:01 AM.
                      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Re: coffee? YES!

Folgers singles,,,, perfect cup every time

Comment

I do like the Folgers Coffee Singles, but had had a hard time finding them locally. Need to try some other stores......

Comment

BD, I am completely addicted to coffee, and I like mine strong and black, no sugar. The trick for coffee is 2 part. One is that the water must be really hot to brew it. Second is to use enough of the right coffee. The conical filter system you are using works great. Try using a heaping tablespoon (no teaspoon) of something like Seattle's Best #3 (either caffeinated or decaf) for 8 oz of water, almost twice that much for your average mug.
                            If you like the flavor of coffee but not the bitterness, stay away from dark roast like French roast and go for the Italian/Espresso roasts. And make sure the grind is not too coarse if you are using the paper filter brewing system.

Comment

The mocha pots work really well for espresso. You can find them pretty much in any store and they are not very expensive. With those I like to use the cheap Bustelo brand or similar Cuban style brands. Just fill the pot with water to the mark and fill the little basket with the coffee. Put it on the stove burner and let it brew until it no longer makes the percolating noise (about 10 minutes). Makes a great cup of strong coffee (small cup thought...)Click image for larger version

Name:	mochapotalu3cup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	69377

Comment

These brands are generally available in any grocery store. And they are inexpensive as well...

Click image for larger version

Name:	bustelo.jpg
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	69378Click image for larger version

Name:	pilon.jpg
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	69379Click image for larger version

Name:	cubancoffee.jpg
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	69380

Now that's a tempting cup of espresso....

Comment

Working...
                                X