coffee? YES!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffee? YES!

It may sound like a silly question, but the last time I went camping, I wasn't so "attached" to my morning coffee. Any suggestions as to how I can get my fix?

We're coffee drinkers ourselves and have tried all different methods, from cowboy coffee, to instant, to perked, but this year the mrs picked up a coleman stove-top drip coffee maker that is fantastic. Works just like your electric unit at home, except that it heats via your camp stove. Since it's the same size as an electric unit, balancing it on a backpacking stove wouldn't be an option, but any 2-3 burner stove, propane or white gas would do the trick just fine. We use it on our camp chef 3 burner, and it doesn't take any longer to brew a pot than the unit home on the kitchen counter. In lieu of that, 5 hr energy shots in berry flavor work terrific, and no sugar.

Comment

When camping I generally have devolved to using instant..... :eek:

But then I discovered Folgers Coffee Singles bags - a bit weak and muddy but Real Coffee. And now, I just got a nifty little two-piece unit from Publix Grocery - bottom is just a heavy-duty coffee mug, the top is a sort of funnel that holds a small cone filter - put a spoon of real coffee in it, and pour some boiling water through it into the cup - still a little weak, but I am practicing with it. Packs small and lighter if I use a plastic or aluminum cup.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I am a huge coffee drinker and have tried just about everything. I have been set on perculated coffee maker for several years. I use the same coffee...the same amount of water...same setting on my Coleman stove and have learned to make a very good pot of coffee. My 80 year old Mom came to my last camp for the afternoon and she just raved about my coffee so thats a pretty strong endorsement.

The coffee press is also a good way to make good coffee but for the amount of coffee we drink while camping, it had a hard time keeping up. Nothing better than a good cup of coffee on a cool camp morning sitting around the campfire.

I really like the look of the Coleman drip maker that dancing2some was talking about. My biggest draw back is the size of it but that is certainly not a deal killer. My wife thinks it would make things easier and from dancing2somes endorsement, it sounds like something we may look at further, especially once my Tear is complete.

Comment

Gosh, hate to sound snobby here but Susan and I like our coffee so much we buy and roast our own beans, and we use an espresso machine to make it.

Now, there is no way we can duplicate that on the trail. What we have done to enjoy coffee on the trail is we each have french press, insulated coffee mugs (mine has "mine" written on it so I can make sure I have it). Before we leave home for the trail, we grind fresh coffee beans - so we know we have fresh beans on the trail. That mug of mud is the first thing we prepare for breakfast and also the first thing we prepare after setting up camp!

We like honey in our coffee, so on the trail we take powdered honey with us. Yes, we could take individual serving size servings, but......... :rolleyes: you wouldn't expect me to put any extra/unnecessary weight in my llama's pack/s would you.
          Chuck
          So. Oregon
          TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
          TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
          SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out the coffee issue. The instant we took on our trips didn't quite cut it. How do the perculator pots work anyway? I've seen them at the camp supply store but haven't bought one because I wasn't sure how they worked.

Comment

Originally posted by WVcamper View Post
              I'm still trying to figure out the coffee issue. The instant we took on our trips didn't quite cut it. How do the perculator pots work anyway? I've seen them at the camp supply store but haven't bought one because I wasn't sure how they worked.
              They come with a built in basket/strainer that is attached to a stand that allows the water to be pulled up through the hollow middle and drip through the basket. Just put 4-5 scoops of coffee into the basket...fill your coffee pot with water...place on heat source and allow to boil. Let it boil for about 5 minutes and then pull off of heat source. The remaining water will finish dripping through and just remove the basket/strainer and enjoy. I reccomend buying coffee ground for percualter. It is just a touch bigger than drip ground coffee so it wont get grounds in your drinking coffee.

I always make up a pot before bedtime and pour it into a Stanley thermos. When I awake 6-8 hours later, I have steaming hot coffee ready to start my day. That themos will keep coffee steaming for about 10-12 hours. It is really a great themos.

Comment

Like ER...I'm stuck with thee nose towards the air! We have taken a bit of ER, buy our beans at wholesale, then roast them in the oven( my job). Then I pack them beans in Loc'n'locs and then once at the campsite I grind them in a hand grinder that I got from Amazon, pour in boiling hot water, stir. The cover the Stainless Steal French Press coffee pot and let steep for 12 - 15 minutes. Press down the grind ed beans and have a nice cup or four of good fresh hand ground coffee! Keeps ya up all day! Sometimes two pots if we thinkin 'bout hikin' a distance! This last camp we did 5 day hikes, the longest was 12 miles with my super knee custom built brace! I'm even up to twenty pounds of camera equipment on my back too! And of course for water we carried the Platypus! A day without coffee is like a day without a potty break!

I got pictures of the press and grinder on back pages in the Photo Gallery if you care to gander!
                Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey Mtn. Camper View Post
                  They come with a built in basket/strainer that is attached to a stand that allows the water to be pulled up through the hollow middle and drip through the basket. Just put 4-5 scoops of coffee into the basket...fill your coffee pot with water...place on heat source and allow to boil. Let it boil for about 5 minutes and then pull off of heat source. The remaining water will finish dripping through and just remove the basket/strainer and enjoy. I reccomend buying coffee ground for percualter. It is just a touch bigger than drip ground coffee so it wont get grounds in your drinking coffee.

I always make up a pot before bedtime and pour it into a Stanley thermos. When I awake 6-8 hours later, I have steaming hot coffee ready to start my day. That themos will keep coffee steaming for about 10-12 hours. It is really a great themos.

Great, thanks for the instructions Smokey! I'll have to pick one up and add it to my growing gear collection.

Comment

Just for the record...in days gone by I was a photographer for United Mine Services and have spent a few years with soft rock miners in WV around Wheeling and that's where I first learned about the French Press! It's the best way to enjoy the real taste of coffee; not just hot water with a coffee flavor that's boiled to death. Just my $0.02!

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                      Just for the record...in days gone by I was a photographer for United Mine Services and have spent a few years with soft rock miners in WV around Wheeling and that's where I first learned about the French Press! It's the best way to enjoy the real taste of coffee; not just hot water with a coffee flavor that's boiled to death. Just my $0.02!
                      Boiled to death? :eek: You take your lil french "foo foo" press and I will take my boiled to death cup of mud and I promise you in a blind taste test, my mud would win out over the gourmet city coffee most of the time. Making great camp coffee is an art.

I bet you camp in the wilderness in a high dollar canvas tent too. :D However, anybody that can hike 12 miles a day with 20lbs of camera gear and drinks "foo foo" coffee, is a guy I dont want to mess with. Thats what makes camping so cool. Some do it one way while others do it another. The bottom line is we both are having a great time and thats why we camp...even if some camp with their nose a bit higher in the wind than others...:D

Comment

Either way we go! At least we camp...sorry to hear about your season of campin comin' to close. We are just gettin started and yes I camp under canvas and camp in every season of the year gone and the years I got remaining. But last July at this time I was recovering from major back surgery. I had a 43% curved spine from a helicopter crash I was in in the Army, broken back and slipped discs everywhere. Then I would camp in a wheelchair, but I never cottoned to being disabled! So last year I had my back fused and was one lucky dude...cause now I'm campin & hikin like there's no tomorra!:eek:

Coffee is coffee, even bad coffee can be expensive! But good coffee can either be boiled or foo foo pressed! Stills like a lil EW bourbon in it too!
                        Last edited by renodesertfox; 07-07-2010, 01:03 AM.

Comment

We drank Blue Mountain Coffee during a week long trip to Jamaica last fall that was just out of this world good. While we brought a small amount home with us, alas that went as fast as the rum cream. I think next trip I'm bringing an extra suitcase just to carry home more. When we're camping though, while I won't say "any old coffee" is great, it does all seem to taste better in the outdoor air. Besides, if the mrs packs cheap coffee, I can add more Bailys,lol. We do love the Coleman coffee maker though. It may not make the coffee taste better, but it sure makes it easier to brew a pot. Fire up the stove, and ten minutes later, wala!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I wound up trying starbucks new instant coffee. It was good, especially good for instant.

Funny story, I made sure to check out the day time temps for our camping trip, but really gave no thought to night-time temps. Big mistake. My wife and 4 yo were ok in there big bags, but all I had was a thin fleece bag. The temps dropped to about 40 and I found myself at 3am traveling to a wal-mart for a new sleeping bag. Wow it was cold.

Comment

We also have gone with the StarBucks instant coffee, available at CostCo for a great price. We've also tried the imitators but the flavor isn't even close. It's really the greatest thing to happen to instant coffee in years! :D
                              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X