Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIY Wilderness Survival Kit...

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
    None of these lists are UL like busere said he wanted...
    Bingo!

I'll give a quick senario:

You're backpacking, you set-up base camp. The next morning you go on a day hike, meaning to comback to base camp, but even the best can end up getting lost. What would be good to have on you that's Ultralite (fit's in a cargo pocket). I do understand that the terrain is diffrent, so to keep it simple let's say woodland/mountains.

Edit: Think of this as an exercise, not busere looking for knowledge.
    Last edited by busere; 02-13-2012, 09:21 AM.
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Ok that one is pretty simple. Keep in mind that this list is for ME, not necessarily anyone else.

Knife, jacket, tiny Bic lighter (only if I am not summer camping)

Here is why I say this:
      You do not need headlamp/flashlight because in a situation like this when it gets dark... go to bed. If you absolutely have to move at night then move slowly.
      You do not need water purification for this short of a situation. If you end up needing water, know how to make a filter out of your surroundings.
      You do not need a first aid kit for scrapes and boo-boos. Infection takes days to set in. You may need a bandage for a puncture wound/nasty gash and a wrapping item. Use part of your shirt. If you have a compound fracture, a first aid kit that fits in a cargo pocket is useless.
      You do not need a tent/tarp to survive a night or two in the wilderness because you now how to make a warm and comfortable one with flora.
      Last edited by immortal_ben; 02-13-2012, 10:03 AM.
      Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

That's what I'm talking about...though, having an emergency pancho or space blanket and some 550, would make shelter a lot faster and easier. IAW the FM 21-76 there's a lot of ways to build shelter with those types of items. Plus, they fold down so small they can be considerd UL.
        Last edited by busere; 02-13-2012, 10:41 AM.
        2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Ah in that case. I would bring a water bottle, a knife, a couple snack bars, a working lighter or a fire steel, and an emergency blanket or an army poncho.

I have an ol G.H. Bass company walking pack, it's sort of an oversized fanny pack, that has two water bottles on it. The pack area is about the size of one of those old kids school lunchboxes. It's got a shock cord web on the back for attaching a poncho or something. I used to have a collapsible umbrella strapped to it if it rained when I was out and I didn't want to mess with the poncho.

What I listed above was the typical contents.
          Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
            You just listed everything I put in my list, though described differently.
            Yea your right. Wasn't trying to copy your list just stating from my experience

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
              Bingo!

I'll give a quick senario:

You're backpacking, you set-up base camp. The next morning you go on a day hike, meaning to comback to base camp, but even the best can end up getting lost. What would be good to have on you that's Ultralite (fit's in a cargo pocket). I do understand that the terrain is diffrent, so to keep it simple let's say woodland/mountains.

Edit: Think of this as an exercise, not busere looking for knowledge.
              I carry an old camp trails fanny pack in it I have apocket knife,a small flash light, a bic lighter,a disposable rain poncho, an emergency blanket, a couple of band aids, 1 days worth of my meds,2 or 3 cereal bars, a whistle, abottle of iodine tablets, a compass and map, and two quarts of water.I never leave camp without it. Depending on where I'm headed, and what I plan on doing I might add a few other items but the ones mentioned here are always in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikenhunter View Post
                Yea your right. Wasn't trying to copy your list just stating from my experience
                That just proves that it is a pretty good list.
                Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

LED headlamps and/or LED flashlights provide better light and last longer

Comment

I wear clothes with pockets so if I go on a day hike I dont need to carry a big rucksack. my compass has come in handy a lot of times, and I have a torch which can be attached to my hat, much easier when its dark .

Comment

Working...
                    X