DIY Wilderness Survival Kit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Wilderness Survival Kit...

So, I decided to post this in the DIY, and here’s why: After reviewing all of the "complete" survival kits available on the market, they all seemed to missing at least one or two items that I noted as important. Or, kits had all of the essentials, but also were packed full of other garbage that was not so important. Where’s the happy medium? Where’s the kit that has all the essential items, but not making you pay for stuff that you really don’t need?
    So, let’s see what you think should be included in a DIY wilderness survival kit keeping the following in mind:

A. The Rule of Three:
    3 Hours of exposure
    3 days without water
    3 weeks without food

B. The four priorities for survival:
    Shelter
    Fire
    Water
    Food

Oh, and by the way…forget any luxury items, were trying to keep this thing UL and compact for the backpacker/kayaker/hiker. Let’s see what y’all got!
    Rodney:cool:
    Last edited by busere; 02-10-2012, 07:26 AM. Reason: Formating came out all jacked-up
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Re: DIY Wilderness Survival Kit...

I'll answer in depth later when I get to work, but one thing I will say is the #1 item is this : Skills.

All kinds of fancy gizmos won't do you any good if you don't have the skills for survival. Learn what plants to eat, learn how to hunt, learn how to obtain drinkable water, learn how to make shelters out of stuff in the environment. Once you have those kind of skills, then having a bug out bag will almost BE a luxury.

As far as equipment, I'll answer that later. Someone may post up the same things before I get to it, and that's fine too.
    Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Thanks, Shadow for pointing out that skills are priority one...now, with that set aside, what are good item to have in a wilderness survival kit? Just trying to spark some fun conversation here.

Comment

OK now that I am at work. Let me give a more elaborate answer. First off, let me say I am not an *expert* on survival. I have been reading and absorbing as much as I can so I am sharing what I have picked up here.

Probably the best way to approach this is to discuss REI's list of Ten Essential gear systems. Where for a bug-out bag, or a regular backpacking trip, you want to make sure you bring at least the following items.

● Navigation (map and compass) A good compass (*skill set* orienteering) and detailed maps for the areas you are in, and will be evacuating to are vital to not being lost in the wilderness. I recommend a sturdy mil-spec compass with a straight edge, and either laminated maps or a waterproof see through map case.

● Sun protection (sunglasses and sunscreen) In both desert sun, and in snow covered landscapes, UV rays and intense brightness can be very detrimental to you. Surviving is hard enough without a second degree sunburn, or snow blindness.

● Insulation (extra clothing) Extra clothing, preferably wool, nylon, and gortex. Some base layer cotton is OK but in the cold it will get wet and stay wet and promote hypothermia. In very hot climates, thin, white(to reflect heat) breathable cotton is good to stay cool and protected from the sun. Wetting it allows evaporation cooling.

● Illumination (headlamp/flashlight) Unless you can see in pitch blackness (hint: You can't) you need some sort of illumination that is portable, and can be turned on and off instantly. Pack spare batteries and bulbs, then backups for the spares. Check them monthly and replace failing ones with fresh.

● First-aid supplies A good kit for everything up to being able to sew up a small wound if needed. (*skill set * First aid and CPR). Make sure you have a first aid manual. I have the Red Cross first aid book.

● Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candles) This are good, along with firesteel and striker. Those don't burn up, or run out of gas. (*skill set* Primative fire making - learn how to make a fire plow, bow drill, and other bushcraft ways of making fire). Pack a small tinder kit in an altoids box consisting of jute twin, vasoline soaked cotton balls, etc along with a way to make a spark)

● Repair kit and tools Knife, another knife, a bigger knife, whet stone, honing oil, leather strop, machete or axe (I prefer machete its more versatile), E-tool (or use the machete to dig with), leatherman tool, roll of 550 cord, duct tape, couple tubes of super glue or JB weld. (@skill set* learn how to properly use and maintain all your tools. If you have a tent pole break, you have to know hot to fix it)

● Nutrition (extra food) The more the better as long as it is light. Freeze dried meals, beef jerky, etc. (*skill set* hunting/fishing/trapping and also herbalism/botany - Learn how to get food from the environment hopefully BEFORE your pre-packed meals run out)

● Hydration (extra water) As much as you can carry. (*skill set* water gathering and purifying - learn to make things like a solar still, what plants you can suck water out of, how to filter water and boil it to kill parasites)

● Emergency shelter[/QUOTE] At bare minimum bring an emergency blanket. A rip-stop nylon tarp would be good also as it is lightweight and packable, bring plenty of 550 cord to lash poles together, etc. Wool blankets are versatile, repel water and won't melt if a stray bit of ash from the fire gets on it. US military ponchos and poncho liners are fantastic bits of survival gear. Very versatile. (*skill set* shelter making - we have discussed this recently in other threads so I'm not going to rehash it all here)

Everything I describe here I could put in or strap to a medium size ALICE pack.

I think either Sunday or Monday I will lay out the stuff and take some pics for illustration of this.

PS. Here is a pic of two good tools. A decent quality knife, in this case a remington bowie, and a book i cant recommend enough, the USAF search and rescue survival manual. About everything you need to know about survival is in there.
        Last edited by Shadow; 02-10-2012, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Here are some of my thoughts:

Shelter
          - Ultrathin Tarp
          - Survival Blanket (Space Blanket)
          - Para cord

Fire
          - Ferro Rod and Striker
          - Petroleum Jelly Fire Starters

Water
          - Water Bottle
          - Water Purification Tablets

Food
          - Snare Wire
          - Fishing Line
          - Fish Hooks

Signaling
          - Whistle
          - Signal Mirror
          - Micro Flashlight or Head Lamp

Navigation
          - Compass

Extra
          - Pocket Knife
          - Commando Wire Saw
          - Waterproof Container
          Last edited by busere; 02-10-2012, 06:17 PM. Reason: Formating

Comment

Head on over to bushcraftusa. You will find a wealth knowledge over there. I usually check in once a day and there are usually 200 commented threads. I don't read them all just the ones that interest me. BTW, the guy you bought your ember lite stove from is a member, but why do I think you know this?

Comment

I don't know why you would think that. Thanks for the info though.

Comment

"OK now that I am at work. Let me give a more elaborate answer."

I love that.

Comment

What type of survival situation is this for? An accident in the middle of nowhere and you have to self-rescue to the nearest town/house/city/highway? Bug out from your house because of civil unrest/impending natural disaster/war? Wife/husband finds out you were fooling around with their sister/brother? Is this a one person, two person, three person type of thing?

I have a kit in my truck but it is far from basic. I have gear in there to give someone an IV or suture nasty gashes if needed. When backpacking I change what I take depending on where I am going, what I am doing, and who I am going with.
                  Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

As a Boy Scout leader ,many years ago, We taught the boys that there were ten essential items they needed to carry everytime they went into the backcountry. If you carry these items with you, you should be able to spent a night or two in relative comfort. If you know how to use these items and you take them with you each and every time you go out you don't need a special survival kit. The ten essentials are: 1. Pocket knife, 2. Personal first aid kit, 3. One set of extra clothing for the weather you are out in. 4. Rain gear, 5. Water bottle and iodine tablets( or other means of making your water safe to drink.) 6. Flashlight and extra batteries, 7. Food including a few extra cereal bars or trailmix etc..., 8. matches, lighter, or some other means of starting a fire and some fire starters, 9.Sun protection, 10. Map and compass. There are many other items that you might wish to carry with you, however, If you carry these basic items and you posess the knowledge of how to use them properly there is no situation that you shouldn't be able to endure for at least, a short period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikenhunter View Post
                      If you know how to use these items and you take them with you each and every time you go out you don't need a special survival kit.
                      I don't know...I think what you listed is a special survival kit in it's own way.

Comment

Really all you need is a cutting instrument. In our modern day it would be a quality fixed blade, full tang knife. Anything else you can make/procure/process with that one item.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
                          I don't know...I think what you listed is a special survival kit in it's own way.
                          Yes it is, but my point is that while there is nothing wrong with the things others have listed here, these are the ten things that are neccesary in a survival situation. Fish hooks, saws, etc.. will definately help you survive in a survival situation but they are not as important as these ten things are. If I some how survived a plane crash in an area where I was unfamiliar these are the ten things I would try to gather first before trying to walk out. Not that I wouldn't take other things with me to aid in my survival, just that I think these things would be most important. That is why the boy scouts calls them the ten essentials and that is why they should always be included in your gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikenhunter View Post
                            1. Pocket knife, 2. Personal first aid kit, 3. One set of extra clothing for the weather you are out in. 4. Rain gear, 5. Water bottle and iodine tablets( or other means of making your water safe to drink.) 6. Flashlight and extra batteries, 7. Food including a few extra cereal bars or trailmix etc..., 8. matches, lighter, or some other means of starting a fire and some fire starters, 9.Sun protection, 10. Map and compass. .

You just listed everything I put in my list, though described differently.

Comment

None of these lists are UL like busere said he wanted, though. Well, except for mine, haha.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Working...
                              X