Ramen and beans!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ramen and beans!!!

if you can pack it try some cooked elbow noodles added to a can o bush's chilibeans and add sone canned tuna or canned chickenkinda like chili mac i guess.

Comment

I think I wrote this before somewhere but just make it easy on yourself. Buy dehydrated camping food. There's Backpackers Pantry, Mountain House and my current favorite WISE. I buy the latter online from outdoor gear sellers. Per serving, I pay about $2.15 and NO HASSLE!

Comment

Originally posted by stanleycamps View Post
        I think I wrote this before somewhere but just make it easy on yourself. Buy dehydrated camping food. There's Backpackers Pantry, Mountain House and my current favorite WISE. I buy the latter online from outdoor gear sellers. Per serving, I pay about $2.15 and NO HASSLE!
        However, if you have a Dehydrator and a food saver, you can dehydrate your leftover "one pot meals" vaccume seal them and have them ready to rehydrate on the trail. This is one place I'd rather have more control of my own menue. I'm not saying the freeze dryed stuff is bad...but it gets expensive feeding three mouths (mine, my wife and my son...we all backpack). We do this with all of our left overs, to provide a bigger choice for menue selection. You can even dehydrate your homemade chilli using the fruit roll-up trays. And, you can still dump boiled water in a food saver bag to rehydrate. We do it all the time.

The below picture is my wife eating some rehydrated dinner out of a food saver bag.

Last edited by busere; 04-19-2012, 09:24 AM.
        2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Originally posted by AKcamper View Post
          Although this might not be the most healthy food setup, it has worked for me and my usual groupe of 4 for many camping trips.

- I take 1 to 2 cans of beans with the lid that peals off( i once had the pleasure of opening the can with a machetie. not fun or clean)
          - Then I place the next to or ontop of the coals of the fire to heat it up. once its ready i reach in with my leatherman and pick it out and chow down. Keep the can
          - The latter on I break up the ramen and use my water purifier to put as much water i need in there. cook and jenjoy.

Once again this isn't the healtiest meal, or the most sanitary seeings how everyone ends up eating from the same been can. But it keeps our bellies full so i cant complain.
          I have to chuckle at a can of beans and a package of ramen being considered a "recipe", but I get it. This is a bachelor's delight for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by AKcamper View Post
            Although this might not be the most healthy food setup, it has worked for me and my usual groupe of 4 for many camping trips.

- I take 1 to 2 cans of beans with the lid that peals off( i once had the pleasure of opening the can with a machetie. not fun or clean)
            - Then I place the next to or ontop of the coals of the fire to heat it up. once its ready i reach in with my leatherman and pick it out and chow down. Keep the can
            - The latter on I break up the ramen and use my water purifier to put as much water i need in there. cook and jenjoy.

Once again this isn't the healtiest meal, or the most sanitary seeings how everyone ends up eating from the same been can. But it keeps our bellies full so i cant complain.
            Ha ha. So that is your two course meal planner: "Eat beans out of a can and then cook instant ramen in the empty bean can". This should be complimented with a dessert of "Snickers bar straight from the wrapper".

I give you credit for efficiency, but I don't think it is going to make it on the top ten list of woodcraft gourmet.

I have actually done the "heat the beans in the can" approach, but if the beans get really hot, they boil over. I suppose the trick is to eat some of the cold beans out of the can before you park it in the fire.

In today's world, though, steel cans are coated with plastics and I think bean cans are actually coated with a polycarbonate, so I would not cook in one of those cans. Better to put the beans is a cooking pot.

Truthfully, I have been in love with baked beans ever since as an adolecent, I saw Ann Margaret rolling around in baked beans on The Who movie Tommy

Comment

Working...
            X