Ramen and beans!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramen and beans!!!

Although this might not be the most healthy food setup, it has worked for me and my usual groupe of 4 for many camping trips.

- I take 1 to 2 cans of beans with the lid that peals off( i once had the pleasure of opening the can with a machetie. not fun or clean)
    - Then I place the next to or ontop of the coals of the fire to heat it up. once its ready i reach in with my leatherman and pick it out and chow down. Keep the can
    - The latter on I break up the ramen and use my water purifier to put as much water i need in there. cook and jenjoy.

Once again this isn't the healtiest meal, or the most sanitary seeings how everyone ends up eating from the same been can. But it keeps our bellies full so i cant complain.

I use Ramen on occasion - it's almost like Mountain House - just hydrate with some hot water!
    I carry the foilized packets of Tuna, Chicken or Spam too, to fill it out and add protein.
    The Yokosuba (sp?) brand even has their own plastic bowl - but that creates more trash to pack out.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
      I use Ramen on occasion - it's almost like Mountain House - just hydrate with some hot water!
      I carry the foilized packets of Tuna, Chicken or Spam too, to fill it out and add protein.
      The Yokosuba (sp?) brand even has their own plastic bowl - but that creates more trash to pack out.
      haha, that's what i had planned on experimenting with this weekend (am currently trying to prepare for a backpacking trip this winter (texas winter))

i'll probably take a little canister of spices (salt, cumin, turmeric, corriander, garlic powder, onion powder), and sprinkle that in just before mixing in the chicken/tuna/spam

Comment

ramen always work for camping because its easy to cook and canned goods because you just stock 'em up inside the backpack and off you go..and lots of water :p

CampingFun

Comment

Originally posted by jehan60188 View Post
          haha, that's what i had planned on experimenting with this weekend (am currently trying to prepare for a backpacking trip this winter (texas winter))

i'll probably take a little canister of spices (salt, cumin, turmeric, corriander, garlic powder, onion powder), and sprinkle that in just before mixing in the chicken/tuna/spam
          Sounds great! Don't forget high protein foods, nuts, energy bars. Thanks for adding to the thread!
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by grp03_macro View Post
            ramen always work for camping because its easy to cook and canned goods because you just stock 'em up inside the backpack and off you go..and lots of water :p

CampingFun
            That's good!
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Ramen and Beans

I/we take a cleaned pill bottle each of peanut butter and cashew butter to add to meals. Just mix it in, and it changed the flavor a lot. Almond butter works too, but has a milder flavor.
              Chuck
              So. Oregon
              TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
              TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
              SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Ramen and black beans are great together

Comment

Re: Ramen and beans!!!

that creates more trash to pack out.

Comment

Hey there good idea using the bean can to cook your ramen! I'm sure the left over pork n beans adds a nice bit a flavor to the mix.

Comment

Ramen has sure come a long way since the '70s! We like the Nong Shim brand Hot & Spicy (made in the US) and several flavors of Acecook from Vietnam, using Japanese patented technology. We buy by the case on sale, typically $6-8 for a case of 12 Nong Shim (in the bowl) or maybe 24 Acecook.
                      You'll never eat Nissin or Maruchan again when you taste these brands. They are great on vacation, when I want a midnight snack without going out in the minivan in search of an open place to eat a small meal.
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

They sell dehydrated cooked rice at a lot of stores these days. I think Trader Joe's carries them. Just add water to cook them. If you mix beans and rice you get a complete protein meal. And for god's sake man, get some bowls!

Comment

Try adding some Parmesan cheese to your ramen, along with chili powder. I also put Adobo in my ramen from time to time.
                          Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

I use to pack in beans and would hate packing out the cans. What I started doing is opening the cans before hand, and put the beans into sealable freezer bags double bagged. so if one came open they wouldn't spill.
                            Nights Outside in 2012: 4

Comment

Originally posted by grp03_macro View Post

CampingFun
                              X2.....you could cook delicious ramen with some good recipe.
                              I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

Working...
                              X