Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dog Backpacks...

Originally posted by busere View Post
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you...I've been busy with backpacking and work over the summer. So, I guess all of those Native Americans that used dogs to haul their loads prior to the introduction of the horse were wrong to do so? Is that what you're saying? They pulled and carried some seriously large loads.
    Yes, that is what I am saying. Dogs are not beasts of burden and their body structures are not suited to haul loads despite the fact that some ancient Native Americans may have done so. Just because SOME Native Americans used dogs to haul loads doesn't mean it was good for the dogs. Some native tribes did all kinds of things detrimental to good health to both man or beast. In a world where few people lived past 38 years old, concerns about a dog's health took a low priority. We live in different times. Putting your dog's health and safety at risk for recreation is reckless vanity on your part.

Tell you what, print this thread. Put it in a drawer where you store pictures of your dog. When your dog can no longer move because his back gives out on him, review this thread and remind yourself how convinced you once were that loading dogs with backpacks was a good thing.
    Last edited by Mike; 11-05-2012, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Ok...so I guess you only read what you want, and become blind to everything else. Like when I said, "People don't normally load there dog down with more than a few pounds..." and when I said, "...as the weight is placed over the front legs...which the ruff wear approach pack does. However, their pockets are too small to carry anywhere close to that weight. Her total pack weight for a three day trip is 6.2 lbs..." Now, because she eats from the food and treats that are in her pack, the weight becomes less every day on the trail. On the final 8 - 10 mile stretch, her pack is relativly empty. Now, if you don't want to put a pack on your dog...that's your thing. But DO NOT try and force your beliefs on me...My dog gets very excited when I get her pack out. She knows that it means an adventure is coming.
      2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gypsy_Pack.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	69590

And she loves it...
        2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Working...