Dog Backpacks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Backpacks...

I was looking at dog backpacks on the internet and wondering about how good they really are. I couldn't find anything that looked like they worked to well, and nothing that didn't carry along with it some serious complaints in the reviews.

Does anyone use these with their dogs, and if so...what pack do you use? And, what complaints do you have?

We have a Austrailian Cattle Dog (ACD) also known as a Blue Heeler that weighs about 40 lbs.

Thanks!:cool:
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Re: Dog Backpacks...

I use this pack for Dexter... http://www.rei.com/product/812465/ru...roach-dog-pack

I have absolutely no complaints about it whatsoever. I cannot tell that Dexter has any complaints either. Every time he sees me break it out and start fiddling with it he gets excited because he knows an adventure is on the horizon. Dex can hump about a weeks worth of his gear which includes:

this camping bed... http://www.rei.com/product/803062/ru...hlands-dog-bed

a micro-fleece blanket

cheapo fleece sleeping bag from Walmart

weeks worth of feed in zippy bags

these boots... http://www.rei.com/product/812467/ru...boots-set-of-4

this jacket... http://www.rei.com/product/825291/ru...utility-jacket

and his leash, should he need it. Obviously this is a list for winter camping, lol.

They are very durable, washable, water resistant, and super-groovy to boot.

Here's a Grand Canyon shot from a couple of months ago. Dex weighs about 60lbs.
    Last edited by immortal_ben; 01-21-2012, 12:10 PM.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

wow Ben, that is just awesome..

Your dog doesn't flip out about the shoes? I figure most animals would.
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Sweet! That's the kind of info I was looking for. It also looks as if most of the weight is placed over his front legs, which is perfect vice the mid-back dog packs I seen all over the internet. Thanks again, Ben!

Rodney

Comment

I ordered the pack, but Gypsy won't do dog beds...she, thinks of them as stuffed animals, and they end-up spred from one end of the house to the other. It's the Dingo side of her.

Comment

This is Gypsy as at 6 months in the back seat of the car on our way to Louisville, KY for one of my son's National BMX races.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gypsy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	69427

This is her and my son looking out the window watching the birds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gypsy_and_Josh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	69428

She's now 3 years old...and quite the agility dog.

Comment

shadow, the very first time I put the boots on him, he pranced and high-stepped for about 5 minutes. He was not used to not being able to feel where his foot was in relation to the ground. I took the boots off of him once the high-stepping stopped. A couple of days later I put the boots on him again. That time the prancing lasted only a couple of minutes at which point I started playing with him in the yard. I did that every couple of days for about two weeks, each time keeping him in the boots for longer and longer. He began associating the boots with fun activity so now he LOVES those boots and occasionally stops me while on the trail to let me know he wants his boots. Sometimes I do not see when his pads start wearing thin and his paws start to get tender. He lets me know now. There exists a more extreme cold weather version of that boot which I will be getting for him soon. And some warmer jackets. I have really been impressed with everything I get from Ruff Wear.

busere, yes, the pack is made to place the majority of the weight over the front shoulders. Dexter is able to run, jump over obstacles, crawl under things, and climb rocks with the pack on. I suggest introducing a pack in the same way I did his boots. Just a bit at a time, and with no weight at first. You should have seen Dexter the first time I put some real weight in his pack. He wasn't used to being so wide and kept bumping into things as he walked by them. He would jump around to see if he could figure out what was accosting him. I would laugh and laugh. Then, the first few times he tried running with it on, and wasn't used to all of the extra weight, the centripetal force would cause him to keep moving when he didn't mean to, usually in a circular motion. It was flipping HILARIOUS!

I love the coloring of your Gypsy! I bet she takes to humping a pack with no real problems.

You might try just using fleece blankets to make her bed while in the field. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I got a cheap blue foam sleeping pad from Walmart, cut it in half, and double-stack it under Dexter's bed for insulation. When he is not using it, I use it to sit on. I can roll it up with it's included cinch straps, then attach it lengthwise on his back, to the pack. I use these clips for that... http://www.rei.com/product/784640/ni...s-biner-size-2

I am in the process of modifying a Camelback water bladder for Dexter to carry his own water. Then I won't be carrying ANYTHING for him at all. I was planning to use the tip of one of these... http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11147243 to let him drink whenever he wanted, but I think he did not like the metallic taste. He wouldn't use the thing to save his life. Now I am planning to just let the drinking tube end with the on/off valve and no bite valve. I will just need to take the tube, open the valve, and Dexter will drink the bit of stream. Should be tons better than what we do now. I have been getting out a his Nalgene bottle (from MY pack), getting his collapsible bowel, pouring water, and dumping any unused water back into the Nalgene. My new process should be much more streamlined, and lighter for me, to boot!

And I forgot to mention that his pack also holds his water and feed bowels when we head out.
              Last edited by immortal_ben; 01-21-2012, 06:54 PM.
              Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Thats really awesome. But do you agree that Siberian Huskies don't need that. I mean,
                once I visited cyberia (start of snow fall) and I didn't care abou bacpack for my Husky. But
                he was awesome that he didn't complain during the stay. Now, I got the idea. thanks for discussion.

Comment

Ordered a ruff wear approach pack small dog backpack for my 35 lbs. Fantastic product. Make sure you take a few minutes to size the straps and balance the weight distribution, and your dog will be more than happy to wear it.
                  DO NOT be found in a camping tents while being out. Just walk,run,fly in the hug of nature.:D

Comment

Ive seen these advertised and I would NOT use these unless the dog in question is a larger working breed such as a Husky or a Great Pyrenees or something of that nature. If one uses one of these on a smaller dog it could cause health problems for the dog particularly if the load is greater than a few pounds.

Comment

Colapsible "bowel""? I hope you meant bowl lol

Comment

People don't normally load there dog down with more than a few pounds. For example, our blue healer, "Gypsy" carries her own food and treats for the trip and that's about it...and she's a smaller dog. We don't load our dogs down with "our" gear. Plus, it's proven that any dog can carry 3/4 their weight for long hauls. Gypsy weighs in at 40 lbs, meaning she theoretically could get away with 30 lbs of pack weight, so long as the weight is placed over the front legs...which the ruff wear approach pack does. However, their pockets are too small to carry anywhere close to that weight. Her total pack weight for a three day trip is 6.2 lbs.
                        Last edited by busere; 05-25-2012, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awtted View Post
                          Ive seen these advertised and I would NOT use these unless the dog in question is a larger working breed such as a Husky or a Great Pyrenees or something of that nature. If one uses one of these on a smaller dog it could cause health problems for the dog particularly if the load is greater than a few pounds.
                          I second this advice. In fact, I would not put any load on any dog no matter what size. Dogs are not beasts of burden. Their body structure is not built to carry loads on their backs. Anybody who has had owned dogs through a full canine lifecycle will tell you that many dogs that live long enough to get old will eventually have back problems. I would not want to see my dog crippled with back problems and have that lingering thought that I might have hastened the problem by putting a backpack on him/her. I would rather add the few extra pounds to my own back.

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
                            People don't normally load there dog down with more than a few pounds. For example, our blue healer, "Gypsy" carries her own food and treats for the trip and that's about it...and she's a smaller dog. We don't load our dogs down with "our" gear. Plus, it's proven that any dog can carry 3/4 their weight for long hauls. Gypsy weighs in at 40 lbs, meaning she theoretically could get away with 30 lbs of pack weight, so long as the weight is placed over the front legs...which the ruff wear approach pack does. However, their pockets are too small to carry anywhere close to that weight. Her total pack weight for a three day trip is 6.2 lbs.
                            Load a dog with 3/4 their own weight? A donkey is a beast of burden and 3/4 of a 550 lb donkey would be a 412 lbs load and I wouldn't even consider doing that to a donkey. Even a beast of burden donkey is only loaded to maximum 25% it's own weight including tack. A dog is not a beast of burden and should not be shoulding loads.

I am calling you on this one. What legitimate source says you can load a dog with 3/4 it's weight?? Frankly, even if it is published I still do not believe it. Common sense has to rule.

Busure, I mean this as no insult to you, but to all dog owners out there, please do NOT load your dog's back with a heavy loads. It is not good for your dog. The dog might be able to walk with the load, but they will pay for it later in life. You do not want to be looking at your crippled dog lying on the vet's table waiting for that uthenasia shot thinking about how you loaded your old beloved friend with a backpack years ago and now you have to put him down because he can no longer walk.

I have heard some people say backpacks are a good way to have your dog get more excersize. If you really love your dog, bring him for longer walks or more frequesnt walks, or play with a ball or a frisbee. Don't try to turn a dog into a beast of burden.
                            Last edited by Mike; 10-06-2012, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you...I've been busy with backpacking and work over the summer. So, I guess all of those Native Americans that used dogs to haul their loads prior to the introduction of the horse were wrong to do so? Is that what you're saying? They pulled and carried some seriously large loads.

Comment

Working...
                              X