I need help picking out a camping backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need help picking out a camping backpack

my camping and backpacking weight is roughly 35lbs to 50lbs depends on water and gear. if I am just day hiking I usually carry 20lbs to 25lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
      I am not seeing a lot of discussion of pack weight here - except a 6 lb. (empty) backpack! :-0 And that's trimmed down. How about this: go frameless. Your sleeping pad serves as an internal frame. You can carry 20lbs very comfortably that way, and why would you need to carry more than 20 lbs, except for an unsupported through-hike? For weekend trips 10lbs is a lot. You can buy packs that weigh a pound or less. 3 pounds is the very upper limit of a pack I would carry.
      The trail I take requires that I carry all my water so for a two night stay I carry 2-1/2 gallons. That puts water at 20 lbs on its own, then add tent, sleeping bag, food, etc and I end up around 40 lbs. I prefer my internal frame pack as it keeps everything situated. I like the idea of less weight, but in our area where water is scarce, we have pack water first and then pack around it.

WT
      "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

I recently bought 2 Kelty Tiogas on eBay for under $30 apiece. I gave away a fancy TNF internal frame pack after using it for years.

The internals are uncomfortable to me- hot on the back, no pockets, too heavy, and harder to find stuff.
        Last edited by ppine; 09-07-2013, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I took the advice and went to REI and tried on several internal frame packs. They load bags of sand in it so you know what it's like loaded. I chose an Osprey (can't remember the model) and when I got it home and loaded it with MY gear I hated it. It was like shoving all my gear into a pillowcase and strapping it to my back. I couldn't find anything without completely unloading everything. It had pockets on it, but they were a pain to try to load and unload. Yes, I am a total OCD organizational freak. I had looked at the Jansport External frame one online and decided to order it to compare. I LOVE IT! It has plenty of separate compartments that all my stuff fit into with space left over! I was also able to strap my rolled up yoga mat (sleeping pad) to it. The only drawback I can find is it doesn't have a place for water like a camel pack. I carried everything for 3 days with NO problem whatsoever. I do think it's a personal preference, however. But don't count an external frame pack out without checking it out first.

Last edited by obxwami; 09-12-2013, 12:06 PM. Reason: add photo

Comment

Originally posted by obxwami View Post
            The only drawback I can find is it doesn't have a place for water like a camel pack.
            If you aren't keen on doing it yourself, have someone sew webbing and D-rings to your pack. Then you can bungee down the camel pack.

Comment

There are many right answers. Sometimes the obvious ones are overlooked, like external frame packs.

Comment

Working...
              X