I need help picking out a camping backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help picking out a camping backpack

I have gone camping ever since I can remember, I am getting ready to start backcountry camping. I am looking for a good backpack to use that is relatively cheap, but nice. I am not going to be doing anything major, just spending a couple days camping. I am not sure if I want an internal or external frame backpack. Any ideas?

Here's a start:

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/backpack.html

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/backpacks.html

http://www.backpackeurope.com/packin...ebackpack.html

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...osing_backpack

Thanks for joining CF!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks for those links, I am thinking about going external. That is what I used to have some time ago.

Comment

Your welcome! Stick around and pull up a stump when you find something that sparks your interest and share your $0.02! Forums, good forums move in one direction only....for the better!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by allenhudson91 View Post
          I have gone camping ever since I can remember, I am getting ready to start backcountry camping. I am looking for a good backpack to use that is relatively cheap, but nice. I am not going to be doing anything major, just spending a couple days camping. I am not sure if I want an internal or external frame backpack. Any ideas?
          Hi Allen,
          I won't be able to chime in for at least 4-5 days because my wife and I are on the trail, but I wanted to throw in a suggestion or two.

First, go to a backpacking store and ask/try external and internal frame packs. They both have their advantages. Both my wife and I have used external packs, but have switched to internal packs - and neither of us would go back to an external pack.

Susan and I have LOTS of experience in the back country. Right now, Susan is trail pounding the PCT, solo, from the Washington/Oregon border to the Canadian border (some 570 miles), I am her supply wagon. The month of November, we will be backpacking in Tasmania. None of this qualifies us as the ultimate experts on the topic, but we do have experiences and a hands on education on walking the wilderness.

You are welcome to contact me with any questions you might have on back country and/or wilderness trail pounding.
          Chuck
          So. Oregon
          TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
          TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
          SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

I just got back from my first back country camping experience. It was great! HOWEVER I quickly learned how heavy my gear is!!! You really want an internal frame pack where they are much lighter. I highly recomend the Osprey 65 HOWEVER it is expensive. I used both external and internal frames while in the Marine Corps and the Alice pack was very nice but for back country camping you want to go light as possible.
            Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
            USMC Retired
            Scout/Sniper

Comment

I just purchased a HiTec internal frame backpack from Big 5, regular $120 for $70. I was told this backpack is "always on sale", and I guess I caught one of those "always" times. I am going to give it a try while in Tasmania in November.

I mention this backpack/price as a good entry level pack for someone interested in exploring the idea of wilderness backpacking. It is a way to get a decent pack without having a huge expense.

I typically go into the back country with my llama, but see myself leaving him home over the course of the next couple of warm weather backpacking seasons. I got this backpack because the other internal frame pack I have is almost an expedition size - huge volume - and I use it for winter backpacking.
              Chuck
              So. Oregon
              TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
              TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
              SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

I also have a Hi-Tec bag from BIG 5. I have the Tioga 80, which is around 4000ci. With a bit of judicious trimming and replacing of zipper pulls, I have the pack to 6 lbs, which is still heavy, but better than the factory weight.

The price is right for a beginner, and it has a surprising range of adjustments for a bag at this price point.

I have taken the bag on one overnight hike in fairly rough terrain and one day hike. The durability so far has surprised me, as well as the comfort.

As Eaglebait Ranch suggested, go to an outfitter and try on as many packs as you can. A good store will be able to weight them to your desired pack weight, and will let you trudge around the store for a while with them on. Big 5 is NOT one of those stores, haha!

Good luck in your search.
                Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Re: I need help picking out a camping backpack

Which are you closer to, EMS or REI? This is one piece of equipment (like hiking boots) where you want to try-before-you-buy. Don't overlook external frame gear, they don't weigh more than internal frame packs and typically are less expensive within brands.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I always liked Kelty backpacks. I was hoping to buy a Super Tioga 5500, but I can't find one for sale. I like the Cache Hauler 3400, but its only 3400cu inch. Then there is the Super Eagle 7850 internal frame, but its $400.00 kinda out of my budget cap. So I found an Alps Z Commander 5500 external on Amazon for $100.00, that seemed just right,so I ordered one and am awaiting its delivery. I hope its as dependable as a Kelty.
                    “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity...”
                    ― John Muir

Comment

Originally posted by allenhudson91 View Post
                      External backpacks were always the pack of choice until around the mid-1980's. Until then, the rule was that external packs could carry more gear in more comfort than internal packs. Internal packs were mostly used by technical climbers or skiers who needed the weight to be close to their bodies.

Of course, internal pack designs have come a LONG way since then, but so have the suspension systems on external frame packs. Still, external frame packs keep the load away from your back and is considerably cooler than internal frame packs.

As far as weight loading both external and internal packs might be similar in performance/comfort, but we know that much camping equipment is bulky - sleeping bags, pads, clothes, tents. In this regard, external packs are better because they can carry bulky loads with better balance than internal frame packs.

My suggestion is:

External Frame packs: For big loads, summer backpacking, long hikes, dedicated backpacker campers

Internal Frame Packs: For technical climbers, skiers, airplane travel, canoe/Kayak travel, European vacation travelers where the packs is tossed around a lot.
                      Last edited by Mike; 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

right now I am using a UMSC ILBE for my hiking/camping backpack but if I was to buy a more civilian pack I would go with a Gregory Baltoro 65 or 75 .. my brother has a baltoro 70 and I have used it and its a great pack.

Comment

If you have grown up with a external frame, then an external frame might be what you would want. However, in my experience internal frames are much more comfortable. I find that the external frames kind of grind into your shoulders. If you go with an external frame, I think Kelty external frames are really good. They aren't horribly expensive either. Some of the packs are even under $100. If you go with an internal frame, I really like the Mountainsmith Haze 50 backpack. It is relatively cheap at about $130 and I have always been impressed with Mountainsmith. Some great places to buy backpacks is backcountry.com, rei, cabelas, or campmoor.

Comment

i use a coleman max and it's a little cheaper than most packs but overall i'm pretty happy with it. it's a few years old and i'm thinking of upgrading and kelty seems to be the big name...is this the brand most of you would recommend?
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	imp213491.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	69759

Comment

I am not seeing a lot of discussion of pack weight here - except a 6 lb. (empty) backpack! :-0 And that's trimmed down. How about this: go frameless. Your sleeping pad serves as an internal frame. You can carry 20lbs very comfortably that way, and why would you need to carry more than 20 lbs, except for an unsupported through-hike? For weekend trips 10lbs is a lot. You can buy packs that weigh a pound or less. 3 pounds is the very upper limit of a pack I would carry.
                              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                              X