Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping near oak creek canyon / sedona

Hey all, first post,

My wife and I are headed with our popup near the oak creek canyon area this saturday. I know that it is a long weekend so there will be a million people out and we are getting a late start.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good wilderness areas that we can camp in of the beaten path somewhere in the pines just passed the top of oak creek canyon.

Any suggestions? I know all campsites and dispersed camping areas are going to be gone already so we will need to be in the forest some where. just no idea where.

Thanks.

Re: Camping near oak creek canyon / sedona

Wilderness areas by definition are roadless so you can't go there with a vehicle. It is a great place, but you picked a tough weekend. Good luck.

Comment

Actually "wilderness areas" are areas without significant human impact. I grew up in one of them on the east coast - there are roads everywhere but most are unpaved and many date from the era before automobiles. We'd rescue folks out there who would get lost and marvel at how they could get so far back in without 4WD and high clearance. LMAO (see the post below!)
      Last edited by tplife; 08-31-2013, 12:36 AM.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

If talking WSAs (wilderness study areas) there are NO roads, NO trails, and better not be any motorized vehicles.

But there are some protected areas, that some refer to as wilderness areas that do allow vehicles on roads, and primarily just restrict the camping to designated spots vs. other areas where dispersed camping is allowed anywhere.

Comment

F5Moab, you're absolutely, positively correct. In my neck of the woods, we have studied these WSA folks from a distance and in the end cleaned up their trash. They publish wonderful accolades of academic theorums based on hyperbole...They call us "ignorant locals, and nearby yahoos", but of course, we have another name for them...
          Last edited by tplife; 08-31-2013, 01:20 AM.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Not sure where your neck of the woods is located, but in my neck of the desert, the greater majority tend to respect the WSAs and the protected areas. In fact, can't remember any damage to any of the WSAs in the area, other than that caused by mother nature. The UTV/ATV crowd prefer to wreck other areas of the desert with their little toys.

Comment

I realize this is older post but come on people.No one is looking to set up trailer in wilderness area.I believe remote camping is what they desire.North end of Oak Creek Canyon on 89A is open for camping.Many forest service roads.Consult Coconino forest map for roads open to vehicular travel.Will also show other restrictions for camping,primarily within 300 feet of designated roads.Hope this helps someone in future.

Comment

Great reply - also, not too far up the road to flag the Mormon lake area is a very nice place to go. You can get out a ways in almost any vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                X