Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to CA in March, is Yosemite a good choice for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to CA in March, is Yosemite a good choice for me?

Hello!

I'm going to California for a couple months starting in March. I'm mostly going to be volunteering on farms via WWOOF, but I will have a week or so that I'd like to go camping/hiking.

I'm starting WWOOFing in Santa Barbara, then I have a week+ break before I go to the Sacremento area, so I'm pretty much open to anywhere north of Santa Barbara for a camping trip. I've always wanted to go to Yosemite but I'm wondering if it's the best choice for me. I'll be traveling solo via bus with a backpack + duffel w/food. I'm bringing an REI travel sack sleeping bag + light blanket, so temps much below 45* may not work for me. I won't have a water purification system or much water carrying capacity, so I can't be in the backcountry for more than a day or so.

Would Yosemite be a good option for me or should I consider a different trip? If Yosemite, what specifically would be a good area? I see that the Hetchy Hetch wilderness area in the north area of the park is at lower elevation and might be warmer.

Re: Going to CA in March, is Yosemite a good choice for me?

Normally Spring thaw even for the lowest elevations in Yosemite do not begin until May. The Tioga Rd that can get on access to the backcountry doesn't begin to open until June 1.

Here is a link to get info and you should call them to get the real skinny:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

The Sierra Nevada Mountains get pounded with snow. What interests you if Yosemite isn't doable? Here are some suggestions: wine country, seaside, Disneyland, nature parks, wild animal parks, Death Valley National Park, San Francisco.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
    X