Best Campground in Joshua Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Campground in Joshua Tree

I am planning on camping in Joshua Tree during Thanks giving. I can reserve a site in either Indian Cove, Cottonwood, or Black rock. I was wondering if anyone has camped out here and has a favorite.

Re: Best Campground in Joshua Tree

I'm glad I saw this thread! I am a local (Yucca Valley) and we go to JTNP often, I was just there last weekend.

Indian Cove is amazing! I would also recommend Hidden Valley campground. Hidden Valley has a paved circle when you enter (veer left) or a dirt loop (right). Both are great, but the dirt side usually has less people. Right now it's really hot so if you don't mind camping in the heat you will have very few neighbors. If you enter the park through Joshua Tree (rather than 29Palms) H.V. is the first campground you come to, about 13 miles past the entrance. Just up the road is Barker Dam Loop:

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/BarkerDamLoop_4472.asp

It's a beautiful and easy trail hike. Let me know if you have any questions!
    My Other Interest

Comment

I just noticed you said during Thanksgiving. Temperatures vary, possibly 70 during the day and 30 at night. Be prepared for both!!!
      My Other Interest

Comment

I just booked my sites. What do you think the best spots to go are? I have about 2 days there in November.

Comment

Great place for desert camping. Here are some links to help you decide what to do!

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

http://www.joshua.tree.national-park.com/info.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Tree_National_Park
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

First time we camped at JT was at Blackrock, not too bad of a CG. Flush toilets were cleaned weekly. Views of Yucca Valley were nice, but it is in the extreme northwestern part of the Park. Twenty miles to the visitor center and then more into the park. The second time we stayed inside the park at Jumbo Rock CG with vault toilets that were very clean. There's no water available inside the park so be prepared for that. We transported a couple of ten gallon containers then and had water whenever we wanted and drove twenty-eight miles to the visitor center to refill our containers once. We dry-camped there for seven days! We visited several places, hiked several trails. Keys View, Cap Rock, Skull Rock, Intersection Rock, Baker Dam, Dead Horse Ranch, Jeep Trails all were exciting. Another time in the spring we dry camped at Bell CG for seven days during April and the wild flowers were everywhere, but the preceding winter JT received record rain! Silvermaggie is a local and her advice is always worth heeding! Good luck! Two days is short but if you make the most of it, it'll be very rewarding experience!

Comment

Keys View at Sunset is fabulous!

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                Keys View at Sunset is fabulous!
                Yes it is!
                My Other Interest

Comment

Working...
                X