Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echo Bay, Revisited

Howdy,

The weekend before this past weekend we went camping to Echo Bay Campground(lower) and this past weekend we went back to Echo Bay but stayed in the upper campground. The better place to tent camp is the upper campground. The campground isn't used that much and there are well over a hundred sites in the upper(the lower campground only has 37 sites). However since not too many people camp the upper campground has plenty of campsites closed but there are at least 60 open. The upper campground is designed for tenters or small camping trailers. The lower campground is designed for RV with pull-throughs.

Back when Lake Mead was at a higher elevation than today, the water came right up to the lower campground. Today it's a 1/4 mile drive to the lake so nothing is gained if you have a pleasure craft, one still has to take the craft off your vehicle or trailer once at the water adn when leaving the lake you have to tie the craft back on your vehicle. But being at the upper campground also means you are away from the resort area and so it is more quite. The afternoon temperature was a balmy 86 degrees F.

We spent Sunday morning making expresso and just lounging around when all of a sudden I noticed a flock of White Pelicans flying south overhead. In an instant some thirty pelicans veered off to the right and 500' above our heads and fly down towards Echo Bay. The other big birds flew in circles for awhile until they reformed(no one blew a whistle) they simply reformed and then began flying South another 23 miles to Calville Bay where they would probably repeat this performane. My wife and I counted ourselves lucky to witness this act of natural selection. It was an awesome sight! I am grateful that we were there to see it take place.

This was a very good weekend. It's too bad that more people don't camp out here and take in mother nature, it's good for the soul to out camping! And then, we saw about 15 minutes later a repeat, different pelicans but doing the same again! What a floor show mother nature gave us and It only cost us $5.00. Normally it's $10 a night here but I'm a dissabled veteran so with the access pass it's only $5.00 per night. If we stayed home at our 3000' 6-bedroom house with a house payment of $2300 permonth, one night's lodging is around $76 a night. Camping has that beat hands down. Now if I could find someone willing to buy our house, we've got it made. Does anyone want to buy a house, 30 miles from the strip(with no view)?

Camping or bust that's our motto! It should be kayaking and fly fishing and camping or bust should be our motto. While out in the kayak I fly fished a 7 lb. Rainbow and it was a fight, my wife had the net which she used at the right time and we had a wonderful Sunday Night at home feast on Lake Mead Trout!

PS: You'll never see photos of me fly fishing, it's my secret, it's nothing more than a four count and work the fly! Great fishing at Lake Mead!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Working...
X