Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yosemite...

Hello Forum!
    This is my first time posting here. A little bit about myself.... I am from So Cal, and my family camps a couple times a year (tents) We go to the Sierras (Dorst) in the summer and then locally to various lakes around So Cal for long for long weekends. We just got back from Lake Casitas for the holiday weekend.
    My dilema... As posted, we normally go to the Sierras/Kings Cyn, but wanted a change this year, and have decided on trying Yosemite. I've never been, but my husband went when he was a boy. I've been on the websites for reservations, and it seems the sites that do take reservations are all reserved. We are looking to go mid July. We never make reservations at Dorst, and hope to do the same at Yosemite.
    What recomendations do you have for campsites in Yosemite? I'd like something similar to Dorst, (elevation & tree wise... I love the stars at night, the smell of fresh pine when you open your eyes, and seeing the deer and bears strolling by daily!) Since I've never been, I'm not sure what campsite to really focus on when we get there!
    Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Anna aka buuzbee

Re: Yosemite...

There has been a tremendous amount of snow this year in the Sierra! Backcountry campgrounds(semi-dispersed) may not open at all this year. Reservations for the popular valley floor campgrounds can be reserved at least 180 days prior to the opening day of the camping season and on that day the phone/internet lines are jammed! Some park campgrounds that cater to trailers and RVs can be reserved up to 3 or more years in advance, it's a very popular place to go! There are campgrounds outside the park that may also be busy, or not so. But with snow melt beginning very late the waterfalls are fantastic. I know I'm not much help but just trying to give an idea of what a person who wants to camping at the last minute to a very popular park might be faced with. When I was younger, we went there with no reservations and waited for hours in hopes of a cancellation. We got lucky. We took enough provisions to last a week and all we were able to secure was one night. We then check the lodge and hotel but even then prices were sky high(1988). We left. Now we either join the throng by making reservations years in advance(June 5-12, 2014), and we already paid for that reservation too. Or we go camping there in the back-country or off-season. Good luck. Go for the weekend and stay outside the park. Wish I could drive down and see the waterfalls! I love waterfalls!
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 06-03-2011, 05:00 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Just following up on spur of the moment camping at Yosemite. There are only five major national parks that accepts reservations years in advance and these are Arches & Bryce Canyon, Utah; Yosemite, Death Valley, California; Yellowstone & Grand Tetons, Wyoming.

Last year we went to camp at Juniper Lake in the Lassen Volcanic National Park in northern California. We planned for the last week in July, but due to the snow that campground didn't open until August 15th. We changed plans and time off from work,etc and finally went then. When we arrived the tent only section was still closed, even-though most of the snow had melted the road in was very muddy. We were only able to camp in the multi-use area that had five campsites and we were surrounded by small RVs. No problem, we camped there anyway. The day we left, Aug 23, 2010 they opened the tent camping section.

Just because it is warm in sunny southern California, in the mountains it is a different story. Here in Reno, tonight the temp is a cool 35 degrees and most campgrounds above 7000' still have snow in them and the roads are very muddy and it's already June 3, 2011. Most ski resorts have closed for the season but two will remain open this year until July 15th: Squaw Valley, just north of Lake Tahoe and Monmouth just west of Monmouth in the southern Sierra. Mucho snow this winter!

Comment

Yosemite National Park
        A meeting of the plows!

National Park Service crews have met up with Mono County & Mammoth Mountain road crews. There is still no estimated opening date for the Tioga Road.

Comment

Working...
        X