Death Valley Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Valley Area

Spring Break roadtrip from San Diego to Death Valley!

Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
    USMC Retired
    Scout/Sniper

Where's the love guys?!
    Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
    USMC Retired
    Scout/Sniper

Comment

Here's some, your compositions are superb! The low angle is great for this kind of photograph. Did you camp someplace or cheat? Give us some details? True the pics speak volumes for themselves but what about your adventure itself? Got more?

And besides Rich, sometimes I'll get over a hundred views and no one says anything about my pics. So I'm uploading really just for me. Besides I'm a retarded industrial photographer anyways with nothing to prove. Perhaps you might sample these in the Nikonian forum or the Cannon forum too. I belong to both as well and they certainly would comment more openly and sincerely about every photo they see. There aren't many critics here just campers.

Your last pic...the color of the dry lake bed isn't correct. It's too blueish. To me it's not appealing. In your second photo there are telephone lines that appear out of nowhere and exit the same, that's distracting. Shallow DOF.
      Last edited by renodesertfox; 04-13-2010, 01:48 AM.
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

HAHA! I didn't even notice those telephone poles! The real/correct/actual color of the last photograph has a brownish tent to it. I think it looks horrible so I gave it a bluish tent so it looks colder and more like moonlight.

I did camp out at death valley. It was a cool place. The BIGGEST place I've ever camped for sure!! That place is HUGE! I stood out on the saltflats, after walking a mile into them, for about 4 hours waiting for the sun to get just right (or as good as it got anyways)... if you're in the area you should check it out!
        Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
        USMC Retired
        Scout/Sniper

Comment

General Information

Death Valley National Park has nine campgrounds. They are Emigrant, Furnace Creek, Mahogany Flat, Mesquite Spring, Stovepipe Wells, Sunset, Texas Spring, Thorndike and Wildrose.

Furnace Creek, Mesquite Spring and Wildrose campgrounds are open year round. The following campgrounds will take reservations, Furnace Creek and Texas Spring takes group reservations. For reservations at these campgrounds, call 1-800-365-2267.

The Furnace Creek Campground is on a first come first served basis starting mid April. From mid October through mid April Furnace Creek Campground and the two group sites at Texas Springs Campground are on a reservation system. Around June 5th, campground reservations may be made for dates from mid October through the first of November ($16.00 per night) On the 5th of each month thereafter, campers will have access to another month of available dates - up to five months in advance. For example, calling on or after August 5th will allow reservations to be made from October 16th through January 4th. Calling on or after September 5th allows reservations from October 16th through February 4th. Subject to campsite availability, you may book reservations as late as one day prior to arrival. Call 1-800-365-2267 between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time.

Texas Springs campground is located in the Furnace Creek area and is open from October through early May. It is first come first served with self registration. From March 17 through May 8, Texas Springs is designated primarily for Tent Camping with a limited number of RV sites available.

Sunset campground (October through April) is also located in the Furnace Creek area and is first come first served with self registration.

The Stovepipe Wells campground (October through April) is also first come first served as is the Mesquite Spring campground (open all year) at the north end of the park near Scotty's Castle. Both campgrounds are $10.00 per night.

For the summer, reservations for the two Texas Springs campground group sites are available by calling 760- 786-3247. On line reservations are available by going to: http://reservations.nps.gov/

Furnace Creek, Stovepipe Wells, Sunset and Texas Spring campgrounds are wheelchair accessible.

Mahogany Flat, Thorndike and Wildrose campground seasons are open weather permitting. The road to Mahogany Flat and Thorndike campgrounds is not passable for trailers, campers or motor homes. Passenger cars are not advised, and 4-wheel drive may be necessary.

Mesquite Springs, Stovepipe Wells, Sunset and Texas Springs campgrounds are first come first served with self registration.

Generator hours are from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. Generators are not allowed at the Texas Springs Campground.

Pets must be kept on a leash (no longer than 6 feet) at all times. Keeping your pet leashed protects your pet as well as other campers. Each year 4-5 pets are killed by the coyote population of the park. Pet owners are responsible for cleaning up after their pets.

Backcountry Camping

More than 3 million acres of wilderness and over 350 miles of backcountry dirt roads are open to camping under the following rules:

Free voluntary permits for backcountry camping may be obtained at the visitor center or any ranger station. Solo hikers can fill out a Backcountry Hiking Form to provide detailed information in case a search is requested by a family member or friend.

Backcountry camping is allowed two miles BEYOND any developed area, paved road, or "day use only" area. Use pre-existing campsites and park your vehicle close to the roadway to minimize impact.

Due to our rough dirt roads, backcountry roadside camping is generally only accessible to visitors with high clearance or 4-wheel drive vehicles.

Backcountry camping is not allowed on the valley floor from Ashford Mill in the south two miles north of Stovepipe Wells.

Overnight group size is limited to no more than six vehicles and 15 people. Larger groups should contact the Chief Ranger for a Special Use Permit.

Backcountry campsites must be more than 200 yards from any water source to protect these fragile areas for wildlife.

Campfires are prohibited, except in fire pits in developed campgrounds. Gathering wood is unlawful and burning of wood is not allowed in the backcountry. Use of a low impact backpacking stove is encouraged.

Since many springs may be dry or contaminated, plan to carry your own water or stash it ahead of time. During hot spring, summer and fall months, one gallon of water or more per person per day is needed. Heat and very low humidity create extreme dehydration potential during summer. We do not suggest low elevation hiking in Death Valley National Park between May and October.

Hazards

In winter, the higher elevations are cold enough that snow and ice conditions may require special safety equipment. Do not enter mine shafts, tunnels, or buildings. Watch for rattlesnakes, especially near old structures and vegetated areas near water. Do not camp in dry washes or drainages due to potential flash flood danger.

Detailed maps are necessary for many hikes in Death Valley National Park. Topographic maps are available at the Furnace Creek Visitor Center or by phone from the Death Valley Natural History Association 760-786-3285.

Horse use is allowed except in developed campgrounds and on paved roads and interpretive trails. Horses are not allowed on the Eureka Dunes, in Darwin Canyon, or on the Telescope Peak Trail. Water and forage are scarce, so grazing is not allowed. The use of weed-free feed is encouraged.

Pets are permitted in developed areas and on park roads. They must be leashed and restrained at all times. Owners are responsible for clean-up of pet feces. Pets are not allowed off roads, on trails, or in the wilderness areas of the park.

Bicycles are allowed on paved and dirt roads and the bike path near the Furnace Creek Visitor Center. Bikes are not allowed off roads, on trails, on closed roads, or in the wilderness areas of the park.

Learn about the region before you go: Talk to a ranger or read publications before your trip. When you familiarize yourself with a certain area, you will know what equipment you need for a safe trip and to leave the area as pristine as you found it.

Walk on durable surfaces: Since most hiking in Death Valley National Park is cross-country, it's important to hike on areas where your footsteps will have the least impact. Trampling of vegetation, fragile soil crusts, and animal burrows should be avoided. Walking in canyons with flowing water can have damaging effects on riparian habitats. Avoid walking in the water if possible. If there is an established trail, stay on it. Other low impact areas include desert pavement and dry, gravelly washes. When hiking in large groups cross-country, disperse into smaller groups of 3 or 4 and do not walk single file as this creates trails that can last for years.

Choose resistant Campsites - Avoid areas with organic ground cover. Choose areas on rock, sand or gravel. Cooking areas should be located away from sleeping areas. This "spreading out" will reduce impact in a concentrated area. Disperse large groups to reduce impacts.

Human waste disposal: To prevent pollution of water or the spread of disease, you must dispose of solid waste properly. Dig a "cathole" with a trowel 4-6 inches deep 200 yards from a water source or campsite. Choose an area that will maximize exposure to solar radiation to aid decomposition. After use, the cathole should be covered with soil and disguised with natural material. Everything you carry in, including garbage and if possible, waste, must be carried out. Toilet paper will not decompose in this dry climate and must be carried out. Never burn or bury it!

If in doubt whether an area is open to camping please check at the nearest Ranger Station or the Furnace Creek Visitor Center.

Prohibited Camping Areas

"Day Use Only" dirt roads:

Titus Canyon Road
          West Side Road
          Wildrose Road
          Skidoo Road
          Aguereberry Point Road
          Cottonwood Canyon Road (first eight miles only)
          Racetrack Road (from Teakettle Junction to Homestake Dry Camp)

Historic Mining Areas:

Inyo Mine
          Lost Burro Mine
          Ubehebe Lead Mine

Camping should be avoided near all mining areas for personal safety.

Comment

That's a lot of information. I usually don't use camp grounds so all I know is to drive 2 miles down a mining road and you can camp for free! haha!
            Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
            USMC Retired
            Scout/Sniper

Comment

Rich, hope you don't mind but I wasn't exactly writing all that info for you. This forum site has world-wide appeal and there are other people interested in Death Valley as well as you and I. Your intro, the photos, serve as a lead to present more general info to other campers who might camp in organized campgrounds. You camp as we camp, usually away from any organized cg and Death Valley has the most land set aside as any national park in the lower 48 states. I like camping in Death Valley too and where we go to camp is Darwin Falls in the middle back country section, Striped Butte in the southwestern backcountry and north either Gold Point or Crankshaft Junction all dirt roads that are at least 15 to 20 miles into the far reaches of the national park. If don't want me to use your photos as a guide to info on a certain place I won't. Just let me know.

As far as your photography goes...good luck. You said that you didn't even notice the telephone wires so I'm just saying that you need to develop your eye towards what the photograph at the end will show you. It took me a long time too develop that instinct. Really study the area that are photographing and be not satisfied with just one photo and one angle. If you have the time use it for the camera. A good photographer not only knows every centimeter of his camera but has develop his eye to look at objects as the camera would see them. The camera doesn't lie, but photographers do.
              Last edited by renodesertfox; 04-13-2010, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                The camera doesn't lie, but photographers do.
                I like that. I don't mind you using my photo's as a guide at all! I put them up here to motovate other people to go to the places I've gone! We should link up sometime this summer and shoot together! I think I didn't notice the wires because the entire picture doesn't fit on my monitor and the wires are at the top. I usually notice those things... I was a sniper for goodness sake! HAHA! Maybe I'm getting soft! :(
                Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
                USMC Retired
                Scout/Sniper

Comment

Yeah, maybe it could work out latter this summer. We almost went to Zion the same weekend you were planning on goin there, but then Desert Rose was offered the Reno job... so now I'm in Reno. Maybe we could meet, camp and shoot near Carmel, CA or Yosemite in June. The waterfalls will be fantastic this year from all the snow!:D

Comment

Re: Death Valley Area

Great pics! I live in Oregon but could see myself heading down there sometime to camp.

Comment

Re: Death Valley Area

I never post locations that I like for fear of making them too popular. There is plenty of dispersed camping in Death Valley. Most of it is even legal.

Comment

Working...
                      X