The Big Meadow Fire in Yosemite National Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Meadow Fire in Yosemite National Park

The Big Meadow Fire in Yosemite National Park has grown to nearly 4,400 acres, and fire bosses plan to institute restricted access along the Tioga Road between Crane Flat and White Wolf beginning Monday and continuing indefinitely.

The fire, which started August 26 when a controlled burn quickly got out of control, is 50 percent contained. The blaze has forced the evacuations of Foresta and Old El Portal, and the Crane Flat and Tamarack campgrounds both have been closed, as has the Yosemite View Lodge.

Beginning Monday, flaggers will be controlling access along the Tioga Road between White Wolf and Crane Flat. This stretch of the road will have controlled access with a pilot car during daylight hours, and be closed completely each night. Motorists should expect delays, which could begin as early as Monday morning. The Big Meadow Fire continues to spread northeast and use of the Tioga Road for fire operations is necessary, according to reports from the park. Fire bosses say that "fire activity is dynamic and conditions may dictate a complete closure of Tioga Road at any time."

Visitors can call 209-372-0669 or 209-372-0327 for updated fire information during business hours.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...tioga-road4468
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
    2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
    I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Thanks JP for broadcasting this one, I've been on the phone with a couple of friends of mine, one who lives near there and another who is fighting the fire...it's an insult to say the fire got out of control but that is what happened to them! They should have kept better control of what they were doing. Anyway, JP thanks a bunch!:(
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Often the Environuts keep them from doing the burns as often as necessary, and there is too much 'stuff' on the ground for a safe burn. Our Florida forestry folks do controlled burns much more often, and haven't had a runaway yet. Helps the forest to replenish itself too.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

The Big Meadow Fire in Yosemite National Park

Is it equally as horrible that the Northeast cities have all met together?

Comment

Working...
        X