Just curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious

I seen my new tent as a little window for a port to go through so who enjoys little electricity when tent camping and what do you use?

Re: Just curious

If we're in a campsite with electric, we run an extension cord into the tent and use it to charge our phones, camera,etc. In cooler weather it's used to power an electric blanket in addition to the above. Almost forgot, it's also used to power the pump for inflating the air bed.

If we're camping in a site without electric, I use a battery (meant to power cpap machines) which has USB ports as well as in an inverter with a pair of 110 volt outlets. The battery is used for all of the above except the blanket.
    Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

I use a homemade battery box with 12v sockets and usb ports to charge my phone, Nook, bluetooth speaker and tent light.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

My options for power (never all on the same trip):
        • Honda 2200i generator
        • 200 watt solar panel
        • 50 watt solar panel
        • Group 24 deep cycles
        • SLA batteries - 55, 35 & 18 AH
        • Go Power inverters - 300 & 1000 watt

To run combinations of:
        • USB charging
        • LED lighting
        • Exos-9 Bluetooth speakers
        • Projector
        • Charging Ryobi 18 volt batteries
        • Fans

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          My options for power (never all on the same trip):
          • Honda 2200i generator
          • 200 watt solar panel
          • 50 watt solar panel
          • Group 24 deep cycles
          • SLA batteries - 55, 35 & 18 AH
          • Go Power inverters - 300 & 1000 watt

To run combinations of:
          • USB charging
          • LED lighting
          • Exos-9 Bluetooth speakers
          • Projector
          • Charging Ryobi 18 volt batteries
          • Fans

I really want a fan for my tent but everything I see is either too expensive for a fan or has a power draw that scares me. I might just have to bite the bullet and spend the money.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Gamerfan81 View Post
            I seen my new tent as a little window for a port to go through so who enjoys little electricity when tent camping and what do you use?
            I use a small (35 amp hour) deep discharge, 12 volt, battery with an attached (Velcro-ed on) CHEAP (self modified) 80 watt 120 volt inverter.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	batt w invert.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	71145

Its plenty, for me, to run a 120 volt, 450 Lumen, LED, ceiling light in the tent,along with recharging the blue tooth tunes/speaker (and any usb accessories) for around a week of camping although for longer trips I sometimes bring a very small solar setup to recharge.
            The interval between recharges depends on how much electricity you use.

Name:	solar batt inverter.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	71146

edit; I have several small generators but, because my power requirements are so small; they are all more trouble than they are worth for camping, IMO.
            The vehicle's 12 volt system can also be used to recharge this battery (with a bit of risk of overcharging),

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-16-2019, 07:43 PM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              I really want a fan for my tent but everything I see is either too expensive for a fan or has a power draw that scares me. I might just have to bite the bullet and spend the money.
              You might be surprised at the breeze one or two 200mm, low RPM computer fans can put out. Relatively cheap at around $20 a piece and super low draw on the batteries. I do have to say that I don't camp when it's anywhere near 90°, and don't have to deal with Arizona heat, so I don't need wind tunnel velocity. But, sitting in a canvas tent, under a light color tarp, with one fan pointed at me has kept me comfortable when I'd otherwise be starting to sweat.

Comment

We go the a campsite with no electricity usually because it's set up for just tents....solar panels might be good to buy

Comment

Originally posted by Gamerfan81 View Post
                  We go the a campsite with no electricity usually because it's set up for just tents....solar panels might be good to buy
                  Honestly; for me the solar panels are a hassle; because I like comfortable shady campsites. I normally have to carry the panels and battery to the nearest large area of sun light, then keep track of the tree shadows (a small bit of shadow/shade on a panel can make the solar panels ineffective)... and move the panels and battery when the shadows get close ... essentially baby sit the solar...

I can recommend; tracking and documenting your power needs then getting (making) a smallish (light weight/portable) battery or battery bank to meet the needs... I like yellowish spectrum, LED, electric lighting much better than lanterns candles, AA powered lights, etc. Just a personal choice.

Enjoy!

Name:	chair and lightDSCF0175.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	71147

Edit; here is an early 12 volt 32 amp hour (four ~8 amp hour batteries) battery bank and single panel that I used to use (with fourescent lighting befor LED lighting became low cost;

Name:	first supply.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	71148 The inverter was killed by a near miss lightning strike!

Enjoy!
                  Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-16-2019, 08:43 PM.
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                    You might be surprised at the breeze one or two 200mm, low RPM computer fans can put out. Relatively cheap at around $20 a piece and super low draw on the batteries. I do have to say that I don't camp when it's anywhere near 90°, and don't have to deal with Arizona heat, so I don't need wind tunnel velocity. But, sitting in a canvas tent, under a light color tarp, with one fan pointed at me has kept me comfortable when I'd otherwise be starting to sweat.
                    I was wondering about that. In most cases I would just want something to move the air...almost like an exhaust fan that would change the air inside the tent to keep it from getting too stuffy.
                    – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                      I was wondering about that. In most cases I would just want something to move the air...almost like an exhaust fan that would change the air inside the tent to keep it from getting too stuffy.
                      I don't know how much mesh you have in your setup, but if you can open it up and put a light colored tarp over it (blue and brown get hot), two of those fans should do the trick. I have one CoolerMaster 200mm fan that I made a stand for, but before that it was easily hung up with paper clips and coat hangers using the tabs. The single fan does fine in cold weather for circulating the heat from my Golf Buddy but I can see where it would be necessary to double it to get some air moving for warm weather. If it really came down to it, you could zip tie three fans together. By the way, I'm only going on about the PC fans because of your low power draw requirement. The CoolerMaster only draws 0.16 amps. Even running three fans, you'd still be well below the draw of the typical 8 inch vehicle fans sold just about everywhere - with the added benefit of their being way quieter.

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog...00-silent-fan/

Comment

Working...
                      X