Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road trip NYC to GA/TX! Looking to car camp on the way. Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road trip NYC to GA/TX! Looking to car camp on the way. Any tips?

New to this site so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post. This will take place in July, 3-4 weeks, after July 4th. I am okay sleeping in my car (I'm short, plus the backseat goes down completely flat) or pitching a tent nearby. I shouldn't need more than 1 night, but maybe maximum 2 nights per site. I'm not that familiar with the south, though. Any good parks and forests, particularly south of Virginia, in NC, SC, AR, LA, etc? Things to know? Should I reserve a place beforehand if it's on a weeknight, or is it okay to just show up? I don't care if it's primitive or regular camping, just as long as I can bring my car to the campsite.

For what it's worth I drive a Honda Fit Sport so I can cram that thing anywhere.

Re: Road trip NYC to GA/TX! Looking to car camp on the way. Any tips?

Welcome,where in each state you wanting to visit? The blue ridge parkway would be a nice drive on your way down south lot of nice campgrounds. I use rv parkey ,wikicamps, apps. Blue ridge parkway travel planner is good if you decide to go that way.

Comment

Re: Road trip NYC to GA/TX! Looking to car camp on the way. Any tips?

[QUOTE=ariariari;43414]New to this site so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post. This will take place in July, 3-4 weeks, after July 4th. I am okay sleeping in my car (I'm short, plus the backseat goes down completely flat) or pitching a tent nearby. I shouldn't need more than 1 night, but maybe maximum 2 nights per site. I'm not that familiar with the south, though. Any good parks and forests, particularly south of Virginia, in NC, SC, AR, LA, etc? Things to know? Should I reserve a place beforehand if it's on a weeknight, or is it okay to just show up? I don't care if it's primitive or regular camping, just as long as I can bring my car to the campsite.

Welcome, ariariai and neighbor!

Sorry, haven't traveled south much past DC and that was via Amtrak. Further than that and it was a plane moment for me. Delaware Water Gap has some nice camping whether in state, national parks/forests or commercial spots. You can find places to consider here:

https://www.nps.gov/dewa/index.htm

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...rthington.html

Seconding, wecamp's idea to travel along the Blue Ridge Pkwy. I hear tell its beautiful.
      Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-14-2016, 12:19 PM.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
      X