Looking for more primitive camping in Alabama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for more primitive camping in Alabama

I live in Birmingham, AL, and I'm looking for some new camping sites. I really cant stand going to really commercialized camp grounds where you just pull your car up to the lot and camp right next to family A,B,C,D...... I much rather prefer a more primitive type camping experience. That being said I do not mind going to established camp grounds i just don't want it to have that tourist/crowded feeling.

Anyone know of some good places not to far from Birmingham?

Any info is much appreciated.

Thank you

Re: Looking for more primitive camping in Alabama

Talladega National Forest to your east has many primitive camping opportunities. As does Bankhead to the north.

Comment

Most National FORESTS (not national PARKS), still allow primitive camping. There are established primitive campsites or you can just camp where you like, but please practice no-trace camping

You should check with Alabama State to see if they allow the same.

Many county forests allow primitive camping, but you must write to the county parks or forestry department first to get permission. They will want to know approximately where you plan to stay

Comment

for national forest in AL take a look at
        http://www.fs.usda.gov/alabama
        east coast generally has less national forest/lands than out west,
        can also look up state forest in AL,
        whats allowed and required in state forests will vary state to state,
        in NY we has lots of state forests and only 1 national forest, same with PA
        in NY and PA i camp at state forests,
        in NY nothing is required, just a permit if plan on groups of +10 or for +3 days
        in PA its kind of a hassle, no permit required to camp, but need to obtain a permit to park overnight, makes it tough for last minute trips,
        each state will also have some guidelines for camping,
        camps/fires certain distance from trails/waterways, as an example
        there are generally lots of oppurtunities out there to camp, just have to get out and explore,
        and lots of maps online too to help

Comment

Working...
        X