Camping on the actual beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping on the actual beach

I've seen and been to a few places where campgrounds are close to the beach, but I'm wondering, are there any places where we can actually set up a tent ON the beach? Panhandle or GA coast are okay, anything further would be time prohibitive as we only have Fri-Sun through December.

Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
    Nights under the stars:
    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Re: Camping on the actual beach

I've done it outside of the U.S. The only advice I can offer is to check out what the winds are like at night.
    Sleep bug free!
    www.BreezyBrigade.com

Comment

Hunting Island State Park in Beaufort, SC would be one option. They have ocean front campsites. They are on the back side of the ocean dunes. Frankly, I think the wind and blowing sand would eat you alive sleeping right on the beach:

http://www.huntingisland.com/camping.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...a.html#REVIEWS

Comment

There's a few places accessible only by boat upstate NY were you can camp on the water's edge. They aren't traditional Caribbean/Gulf Coast sandy beaches though. Sounds like it would be too far for you anyway. ave you checked the Carolinas? Pretty sure there are beach front campgrounds there as well.
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 10-07-2013, 04:29 PM.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I used to go to North Padre Island just east of Corpus Christi, Tx. You drive off the road and onto the beach. Find a nice place and pitch the tent. Yeah, it's windy, hot (I used to go on the 4th of July week along with about 10,000 other campers), and sand will get into everything, but a really good time. It's a National Seashore Park, and as I write this, it's probably closed due to a bunch of idiots, but when it reopens, it's fun. Happy camping.
          Nights camping in 2013-----12
          Nights camping in 2014----- 4
          Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

Careful of the tides! And the crabs....... ;-)
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I have never had good luck camping on sandy beaches. Sand f
              Gets everywhere and water levels are dangerously unpredictable. Even on large inland lakes wind can blow waves and water enough to cover a whole beach on the leeward side of the lake

Better yet is to camp near enough to the beach that you can Walk to it in a few steps. It keep your campsite out of the sand

Comment

+1 On Hunting Island SC. Took this photo from my camper window. You can see the tent sites next to the Ocean:

A few more Hunting Island shots:

Comment

I like to camp on beaches. My favorites are places like San Juan Islands of WA or the inside bends of rivers on sandbars. Large lakes can have some nice beaches. Just make sure you are above the high tide on the ocean or water releases on rivers. Waking up in a wet sleeping bag is a memorable but unpleasant experience.

When I was in college, I used to take girls out to the local golf course and lay down a blanket in a big sand trap and pretend I was at the beach.

Comment

Working...
                  X