July 4th camping in the Smokies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 4th camping in the Smokies?

I have the week surrounding July 4th off from work and thought of taking a short camping trip by myself to a campground in the Smokies that we frequented growing up for family vacations. It's the only time this summer I'll get to go camping. But is it crazy horrible busy that time of year? Anyone know? I'm assuming it is, but we always camped in cool weather so I have no real experience with summer camping.

Re: July 4th camping in the Smokies?

All depends where your going and any festivals going on but yes it does get busy there. Not to sure on north of Gatlinburg TN but there and south it very busy week.

Comment

I grew up going to the North Georgia and western NC Mountains. I have lived in Dillard Ga, Mountain City GA, and Clayton Ga. I seen it where you have to wait 30 min to get into the highway for all the traffic. And if you travel US 441 becareful going through Dillard, the Police there makes Barney Fife look tamed.

Comment

Yeah I hadn't thought about dispersed camping, that is a pretty good idea. I admit I was a little overwhelmed b/c in some of the state parks near me, when I looked up dispersed camping, I had difficulty figuring out exactly WHERE you were allowed to camp.

Comment

Hi so I'm interested in dispersed camping in the Smokies, nearish the actual downtown area of Cherokee. Anyone know any good areas for it? Thanks!

Comment

be advised that as of January 2013 Tennessee State Parks require that you make reservations for camping...no more walking in and
            renting a campsite...just came from that state and found this out the hard way...
            national forests were the only places that were first come-first served...

Comment

Hogsnapper my son will be at Davidson River CG next week! I hope to be heading that way after the fourth so I can try out my new Springbar!! Maybe we can meet up and have a cup of joe together!!

Comment

Working...
              X