Great Smoky Mountains National Park Elk Herd Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Smoky Mountains National Park Elk Herd Info

A little more uplifting news: At Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the elk restoration program has gone so well park officials have taken off the "experimental" tag and developed a long-range management plan.

For the past decade, Great Smoky Mountains National Park biologists and staff worked to restore a permanent elk herd to the park's rumpled mountains. So successful were those efforts that they've removed the "experimental" tag from the herd and adopted a long-range management plan for the elk.

The management plan was signed off on by David Vela, the park's regional director, on October 20.

see link:
    http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...ement-plan8946

In June 2010, the park published an environmental assessment outlining the findings of an 8-year experimental elk release (2001-2008). The purpose of the EA was to determine the most appropriate and feasible approach to manage the existing elk population, currently totaling around 140 animals.
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
    2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
    I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Re: Great Smoky Mountains National Park Elk Herd Info

I've been lucky enough to see an elk once it my life. It was startling at first since I thought it was a deer, but it was huge and we soon realized what it was. I want to see more in the Smoky Mountains.

Comment

Very cool! We went to GM last year in Sept and it was wonderful there! But unfortunately we didnt see any Elk. I would have loved too though!

Comment

July 2011 camped at Mile High around Cherokee and saw these elk out the back of our tent.Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-30_07-57-21_526w.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	69667
        Go Camping! it's one of the best ways to experience God's Glory!

Comment

Last time I went camping near Helen Ga the locals were discussing the Elk, complaining about them. As they put it, Driving bad enough with deer getting on the road, they moved Bears back into the area and they are also now a road hazard, the Elk will be moving in as they grow and they too will be getting hit.

Comment

Working...
          X