I'm Headed To Florida For A Year???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Headed To Florida For A Year???

I'm headed to Florida for a year. I'm from NJ. It will be my first time doing a lot of camping and I'm new to camping. My plan is to travel around Florida camping at different places. I'm not sure what to expect or what essentials I will need. Any sound advice would be appreciated.

Re: I'm Headed To Florida For A Year???

My home base is going to be my car a Toyota Camry. I'm big into fishing. I like solitude. I'm on a poor mans budget. So far I have my tent as well as some of the basic gear like lanterns, and stoves.

Comment

The various 'hunt camps' in the National Forests are usually free, but not open to camping during hunting season - the Bubbas can become very 'territorial', like any wild creature...... (joke, I am a Bubba myself...) :cool:

It's been a very dry time, so fire bans may be in effect in many areas - you may have to go without a campfire!

North Florida has been HOT during the day, but cooling into the 70's at night. Central Florida and the coast tend to get more cooling breezes. Be aware- we have mosquitos that almost require filing flight plans - BIG! MEAN! Carry some good 'bug dope'!

And as always in Sunny Florida...... the Gators have right of way!
      Last edited by Bigdog57; 12-14-2011, 11:47 AM.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Hey man,

This is actually my first post; but I just actually finished a review of one of southern Florida's best camping areas - Fisheating Creek WMA. http://fieldventures.wordpress.com/2...ing-creek-wma/

-Josh

Comment

Josh Holbrook, you have a real nice blog! Took me sometime to read through everything. Yours is a true blog in the sense that you have no links to advertisers and are asking for no support. Perfect. Thanks for taking the time to join CF. Remember your first 6 posts or threads are moderated; one down and five to go. You have great info on your blog for anyone planning on camping/traveling in Florida.
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Gracias. I enjoy lurking on this forum, hopefully I'll remember to post more often.

Comment

If you make it to North Florida, the beaches along the gulf are beautiful and some good fishing. I love St, George Island, Alligator Point and Cape San Blas. Further South is Cedar Key and Crystal River. There are also some good inland parks such as Ichetucknee Springs. Have fun and good luck!

Comment

Florida camping is opposite than the north, you camp during fall, winter and spring. Summer is hot, muggy, rainy and buggy. I would camp in North Florida in fall and spring(Oct-Nov), move south(maybe Everglades or Big Cypress for solitude and cost, although Biscayne would be cool for a night or too in Biscayne Bay- those are the 3 national parks in S. Florida that are reasonable) for Dec-Mar, start heading back north(maybe more north west/panhandle) again in April. I think the middle of the state with the springs might still be tolerable in June. August- Sept is also peak Hurricane season, so it's always a dice roll then. I suggest N GA or the Carolinas for that time of year.
                Make sure you get a fishing license too.

Comment

Working...
                X