Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Ridge Mtn camping

Hello fellow campers,
    Anybody have camping suggestions for the southern portIon of the blue rdg Mtn area? A body of water would be nice too. Preferance toward state parks camping.
    thanks!

Re: Blue Ridge Mtn camping

This might help you get started.

http://www.blueridgeonline.com/campl...tegory=Camping

If you could be more specific about an area that you would like to camp at or in. Something could be found more easily. Good luck.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I have camped in the Blue Ridge area a few times, at 'motorcycle specific' campgrounds, which abound up there.
      A couple things I learned.....
      It WILL rain - HARD! Have a tent that will withstand heavy rain and wind. Also, it may well hail.
      Secondly, always expect it to be colder than you think it will get - this IS in the mountains. Nearly froze my kiester off one trip....... :cool:
      Be very careful driving - the tight curves on the mountain roads can bring surprises - like the nimrod RV pilot taking up BOTH lanes on that turn, with a deep drop-off on the outside.......
      Also, the local law up there has gotten really aggressive enforcing speeding laws.

But all that aside, the view is awesome, and it's one of the most beautiful places in the USA.
      If you can catch it at the height of leaf-peeper season, the mountains are afire with bright leaves just before they fall for the autumn.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
        Be very careful driving - the tight curves on the mountain roads can bring surprises - like the nimrod RV pilot taking up BOTH lanes on that turn, with a deep drop-off on the outside.......
        Is the Blue Ridge Parkway like that, or are you referring to the other roads? I'm developing a keen fear of heights - I don't like driving on roads with the steep drop-off on the side
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Yes, this applies to parts of the parkway. There are pull-offs for scenic viewing, but you do need to be aware and observant of other drivers!
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
            Yes, this applies to parts of the parkway. There are pull-offs for scenic viewing, but you do need to be aware and observant of other drivers!
            Thank you! that's good to know.
            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

The Blue Ridge Parkway is quite safe to drive on. Unless things have changed a lot since I was there last. The other roads are more dangerous because of sharp turns and drop offs. However, I think it's more dangerous to drive in the interstate highways in major metropolitan areas...
              The Blue Ridge Mountains are beautiful in any season of the year. However, winter can be difficult or impossible due to snow, ice and frigid temps. Oh yeah, it can get cold at night, even during the summer (although probably not in these horribly hot days :P)

Comment

The speed limit on the Parkway is never more than 45 mph, but, usually around 25. I am kinda afraid of heights also, I call it my fear of edges. As long as I have any kind of visual barrier between me and the drop, even if it's just bushes, I'm okay. But, really, the more you drive/ride on those type of roadways, the more you get used to it. I know I have. But the best thing you have going for you on the BRP is, without a doubt, the spectacular soul-enriching scenery. It is SOO worth it to put up with your fear of heights!

Comment

hey, where did you end up camping?

Comment

We've camped at Steele Creek Campground and then drove (took about 30 min) to Grand Father Mountain and spent the day there. Steele Creek has all individual sewer & water hook-ups, and its right on a huge creek. This place has a diving board, beach, arcade, water slide, etc. for the kids. Its a very kid friendly campground.

Comment

I know this is an somewhat older thread but I want to throw in a 1/4 of a penny..

I travel many areas in the Blue Ridge and Smokie Mountains. Where I camped last it's entrance was on a switch back north of Helen Ga. I could see the road from the camp ground. 18 wheelers would take the entire road going around the curves. Heck Up around GrandFather mountain in NC when I was driving I ran a NC State Trooper off the road going around one. My bumper was inches from the Guard rail and trailer was 3/4 in the other lane.. Had to make the trip. Either route I took was like that.

All you have to do is pay attention and do not try to race around the curves and every thing will be ok. No need to be scared...

Comment

We like camping at Linville Falls trailer & cabin campground, about 30 minute drive from Steel Creek Campground and a few minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Their address is:

717 Gurney Franklin Rd. Newland, NC 28657

Comment

Originally posted by exploring/carolina View Post
                          We like camping at Linville Falls trailer & cabin campground, about 30 minute drive from Steel Creek Campground and a few minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Their address is:

717 Gurney Franklin Rd. Newland, NC 28657
                          Make sure to eat at Louise's in Linville Falls! Great Pie!!!

:he:

Comment

Yep, we like eating @ Louise's.

Comment

I used to go primitive camping on the west side of Linville Gorge. Absolutely loved it - although the civic didn't like the rough logging road I had to take to get to our spot near Wise Man's View. Never made it to Lousie's while I was there, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X