Uwharrie National Forest Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uwharrie National Forest Help

Some buddies and I are planning a camping trip to Badin Lake in Uwharrie National Forest. I was wondering if anyone has camped there and could make any recommendations or suggestions as site location, what to expect, etc.

Many thanks!

Re: Uwharrie National Forest Help

I have camped there several times. At the Arrowhead cg and Badin Lake group camp. Very nice CG for a smaller CG. Has clean showers/bathroom some sights have electric only hook ups. I have also camped at Morrow Mountain across the river. Head towards Albemarle,NC Lots of hiking,fishing mountain biking and off roading (4wd,4 wheeler,motocross) beautiful area in one of the countries oldest mountain ranges. Hope that helps,I know this is an older post but you may read it.

Comment

I'm glad someone posted about this! I live outside Charlotte and wanted to know about camping in the Uwharrie Mountains. I was having a hard time finding campgrounds that accepted pop-up and travel trailers. I also saw Arrowhead campground and wanted to know if it was a good place to stay. Can this campground tolerate fifth wheels around 38-40ft long? I saw that some campsites didnt give specific 'lengths' but I figured if you've been before you might know. Also, are their any campgrounds that allow you beach access on Badin so you can go swimming? Any help you can give me would be awesome!

Comment

Jenskies,I believe at least two of the sights at Arrowhead are a pull thru type that should support a 5ver. As far as beach access from any of the campgrounds the answer is no. There is a boat ramp but no beach access. You would actually have to drive to the town of Badin across the lake from Arrowhead and there is a small beach there. If you go to Morrow Mtn. State Park they have a swimming pool. I am not sure if they have room for a 5ver but you can call them and ask. I hope that helps. Any more questions post on here and I have it linked to my e-mail so I will see your post. Me personally I am getting back into tent camping! I am looking for a used Springbar 14' x 10' tent but not having any luck. I will probably have to buy it new. Anyway have fun and keep on campin!!

Comment

Thank you Augie Dog! I appreciate your info! I did the tent camping thing - its not for me. :-) But all of my family have campers, so when we go camping, we all go together. Its nice, but we were looking for something in the Uwharrie area. I have some friends that tent camp and they will go with us if we go. We just have a pop-up. We just got a ez-up for xmas from the IL's and can't wait to use it. My friend that goes tent camping goes to Morrow Mtn state park to hike all the time. They love it there. But they have never been camping there before so they havent checked out the actual campground yet. I'll see if I can't go there and take a look around. Thanks for all the help! =)

Comment

Hey Jenskis glad you got back. A popup is not a problem at Arrowhead or Morrow Mountain. The sites can handle it. You mentioned you got an ez-up ,and that is not a problem either. I am familiar with the ez-ups and even the biggest one they make will fit in the sites. Like I said I have a 25 ft.TT with a rear slide and I had no problems. Another CG you might want to look into in the spring is W.Kerr Scott Dam in Wilksboro,NC. It is a National forest CG and is closed right now but will open in the spring. Also look into the CG along the Blue Ridge Parkway outside of Blowing Rock very nice and will handle pop-ups. No HOOK UPS though so go prepared to dry camp but worth the time and effort. Also look into Jordan Lake just east of Siler City on US 64 They have three beach's two of them are at the campsites and one is for public access. If you come to Jordan Lake let me know and I will meet you there. I only live about 15 miles from the lake. It would be nice to meet you and also give me an opportunity to look over your ez-up! I have been looking at them for a while. I want to down size since it is just me and my wife camping now. One son is at State and the other son graduates high school this year and not sure where he is going.

Comment

I'm so glad I joined this forum. DH, myself and our three year old DD are camping at McDowell Nature Preserve Campground outside of Charlotte this weekend but our ultimate camping goal is to camp in Uwharrie somewhere and take a side trip to use our zoo membership at the NC Zoo. I was considering Arrowhead CG and am glad to see some feedback on it.

This weekend is our test run. I setup our new tent in the living room to make sure I could figure it out - it's been at least ten years since I've camped and never as an adult, meaning the packing and setting up responsibility was not mine! I think we are prepared.

My daughter is super excited and told everyone at the store as we purchased the tent that she was "buying a tent so she can camp and fish!"

Comment

mtabh.. there are two campgrounds near the zoo!! You don't have to go to Uwharrie unless you want to. It is a bit of a drive from there to Asheboro. Have fun!!

Comment

Working...
                X