Yellowstone Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowstone Question

We're considering the possibility of going to Yellowstone this year. We're going to be taking the kids so they can see the sights and (being home schooled) we're trying to avoid the crowds (while not freezing - lol)

How's the weather and crowds the week after Labor Day (early September)? I realize with the northerly-ness and mountains that it's a bit unpredictable. But any general info would be great!

Thanks

Re: Yellowstone Question

I have been to Yellowstone twice in the last 5 years. But both times were in the Summer, with huge crowds but still worth seeing. My best tip would be stay in the park. Each loop is about 70 miles around, so it saves lots of driving time. Plus if you are into photography early morning is an outstanding time for great shots. If you will also do the Grand Tetons NP we stayed at Gros Venture Camp Ground. It was the closest to Jackson Hole and very convenient. Look for Mormon Row. Right near the CG and it has the most photographed Barn in the country. There are several period correct buildings with lots of wildlife along the road. Also a lot of Mountain Bluebirds. This was from our trip.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
      I have been to Yellowstone twice in the last 5 years. But both times were in the Summer, with huge crowds but still worth seeing. My best tip would be stay in the park. Each loop is about 70 miles around, so it saves lots of driving time. Plus if you are into photography early morning is an outstanding time for great shots. If you will also do the Grand Tetons NP we stayed at Gros Venture Camp Ground. It was the closest to Jackson Hole and very convenient. Look for Mormon Row. Right near the CG and it has the most photographed Barn in the country. There are several period correct buildings with lots of wildlife along the road. Also a lot of Mountain Bluebirds. This was from our trip.

Thanks for the info! We'll most likely just stay in Yellowstone and take in the sights at a leisurely pace. At this point we were thinking of staying at Madison or Canyon since we can get reservations.

Comment

We went to Yellowstone the week after Labor Day in 2016. We stayed in Madison campground. Be aware some of the campgrounds close shortly after Labor Day. Call and talk to a ranger because the closing dates on the reservation screen was different than the actual dates.

We received 4” of snow the day we arrived. It was wet and heavy so we didn’t use the tent. We have our car set up so we can sleep in it so it wasn’t a huge problem. Just be aware the weather changes quickly in Yellowstone. The ranger had told us to bring clothes for all 4 seasons no matter what time of year we were planning to visit. We had already been told by friends of waking up to snow on their tents in July.

The snow actually added to the experience. We saw things we wouldn’t have see without it such as fresh Grizzly Bear tracks.

I loved Yellowstone and I can’t wait to go back. It was an amazing experience. It was my dream to camp in Yellowstone. We didn’t make it to Grand Tetons National Park. The road between the park was closed and we didn’t time didn’t allow for us to add the longer route to our trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	74B99DE2-259B-42CA-9449-C5B306C0AC2E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	71029

Comment

It can be snowy that time of year, but it doesnt usually last long.

Ive been in early-mid June (06) also and it wasnt crowded. Campgrounds werent hard to get a spot in, no reservations needed, and we had no close neighbors in the campground.

Keep in mind you can collect camp fire wood anywhere in the park for use in the park. None was close to the campground, but a mile or two up the road we pulled off and walked out in the woods with small bow saw and had way more dead and down wood then we needed in an hour or so. I loaded up the rear cargo carrier pretty well, we left quite a lot of wood at the camp when we left.

Comment

Working...
          X