Primitive camping in N Utah with dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primitive camping in N Utah with dogs

I am looking for places in north Utah that have primitive (drive in or maybe hike in) camping and allow dogs.

I prefer drive in, since I'm female, may camp alone, and may not be entirely up to slogging water the full way, especially with 2 dogs and a springbar tent in tow.

I'm mainly looking for places within 2 hours of SLC. I camp in Ashley (Elk Park) sometimes, and love it, but I'm looking for something closer to the city for short 1 or 2 night trips. You know, leave after work on Friday areas! Unfortunately, most of the areas in the Wasatch/Uintas seem to be closed to dogs (for understandable reasons. Hey, I drink this water; I don't want my dogs' poop in it!!!).

Any ideas? I don't want campgrounds or the like.

Re: Primitive camping in N Utah with dogs

This link should help your search, it has mine and I just moved to Ogden recently. Dogs are no different than little children, just gotta watch 'em like a hawk! And use basic common sense. If you have questions about your dogs n'campin, might want to ask a second question. Welcome to the campfire!

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/suz...guidelines.htm
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
      This link should help your search, it has mine and I just moved to Ogden recently. Dogs are no different than little children, just gotta watch 'em like a hawk! And use basic common sense. If you have questions about your dogs n'campin, might want to ask a second question. Welcome to the campfire!

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/suz...guidelines.htm
      Thanks for your reply, renodesertfox.

Unfortunately, I think you misunderstood my question. I'm well-versed in camping with dogs (although not at all in camping with little children), and I am familiar with the link - and its contents - that you provided.

To reiterate, I normally camp in a place that's too far away for short trips, so I'm looking for places within about a 2 hour drive from SLC which allow dogs. Most of the obvious places I know of do not allow dogs because of the watershed.

Comment

Guess you'll have to rely on your own wits then. You and I are the only two campers in our little forum that hail from Utah! And I don't own dogs, or have any children. Let us know what you find. Seems lots of people love to camp, they just don't like to chat about it.

Comment

Well, that's too bad. I'm really coming up with zero as far as dog-friendly primitive camping areas in the nearby areas. Everything is a watershed.

I will say that Elk Park in Ashley is awesome. Where we go, the space is fantastic. The dogs were allowed to roam some. We put little lights on their collars so after dark, they're easy to see. They're never out of sight, although my Cairn terrier did manage to disappear a few times, so she's on leash / tie out more than the other 2 (well, now just 1, as we lost our lab mix to old age this winter), who never go far. They, predictably, rolled in every imaginable kind of poop they could find, but hey, that's dogs for you.

Comment

If you go south of Salt Lake there are a good number of places where dogs are allowed. American Fork Canyon, Provo Canyon, Payson.

Comment

I just joined this forum with the intent of finding good dispersed camping areas that are close to SL as well. We just returned from the high Uintas and there are so many places to camp there - right off the road, or you can hike in. All you have to pay is a $6 fee for a three day pass on the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway. We opted for an actual campground that you have to pay for this time, since it was the first time we took our trailer out, but after seeing all the other people boondocking, that is what we will do next. Dogs are allowed there, as well. I would love to hear if you have found any other places close to SL. Taking our '78 travel trailer up and down Parley's is a little rough on the gas mileage :-/

Comment

There are plenty of spur roads along Hwy 39 between Huntsville & Woodruff Utah where you can pull off the road and disperse camp. Most of the roads are old forest service roads that were used as logging roads back in the early 1900s. Many folks that camp here during the summer months also bring up their ATVs & cross-country bikes. From North Ogden it takes about 45 minutes to drive the narrow road and N.O. is about a hour north of SLC.

Comment

Working...
                X