• Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever been here? Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park

I keep hearing great things about it.

Tell me what you think.

http://www.nps.gov/blca/index.htm
    My Other Interest

Re: Anybody ever been here? Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park

Drove down through there a couple of times, it is beautiful. Can't say anything else, except the scenery is great.

Comment

I didn't even know it existed. I drove through Gunnison several times, on my way to Crested Butte. I love that area of the country.
      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

The Black Cyn is a great stop while traveling to other areas in Colorado. Prepare to pay NPS park entrance fees. Two days/nights seemed plenty to experience it, yet I am not a hiker. I have stayed in the South Rim campground twice before. Very clean. If in an RV, bring in your own water from town below since it is trucked up to the rim by the NPS, primarily for drinking.

Several places along the rim drive allow you to walk moderate distances to overlooks for spectacular views. The canyon is a narrow and very deep gorge with the river below. It is tranquil, but can be quite hot during the summer. Does not have mass tourism like the Grand Canyon.

One place within the park provides a road to drive to the bottom. No trailers allowed on this very steep road that leads to another campground and the river below.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for that info! Those are great pictures, and I am looking forward to visiting this place. I think I would like to go down to the campground below.

Originally posted by Ventura Mermaid View Post
          The Black Cyn is a great stop while traveling to other areas in Colorado. Prepare to pay NPS park entrance fees. Two days/nights seemed plenty to experience it, yet I am not a hiker. I have stayed in the South Rim campground twice before. Very clean. If in an RV, bring in your own water from town below since it is trucked up to the rim by the NPS, primarily for drinking.

Several places along the rim drive allow you to walk moderate distances to overlooks for spectacular views. The canyon is a narrow and very deep gorge with the river below. It is tranquil, but can be quite hot during the summer. Does not have mass tourism like the Grand Canyon.

One place within the park provides a road to drive to the bottom. No trailers allowed on this very steep road that leads to another campground and the river below.
          My Other Interest

Comment

Working...
          X