Dispersed camping near creek in Utah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispersed camping near creek in Utah?

I live in Las Vegas and have been trying to find a place in Utah where I can find Dispersed camping (just want to plop my tent off a forest service road, no campground) in Utah within 3-8 hour drive from Vegas. I really want to find a creek to be near and must be forested. Have only found dried up creeks so far in Southern Utah. Will be camping end of June.

Re: Dispersed camping near creek in Utah?

There are literally dozens of places to disperse camp beside a creek in Utah. I'll update you and others soon, even in southern Nevada there is disperse camping to be found very close to Las Vegas as well. And just not in the desert either, if you're interested? How do I know, I use to live in Vegas too and have been to these places over the years.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

First of all I highly recommend that you purchase a good map of Utah that shows backroad by-ways and trails. The map I use is from http://www.benchmarkmaps.com. It shows all state roads and is a Recreational Atlas.

Place #1: Kolob Reservoir & Kolob Creek.
      The Kolob Reservoir Road is the least traveled of the main roads through Zion National Park, and provides an easy way to quickly reach the wilderness and escape the crowds that can affect the more well known areas. It offers great views of distant cliffs and valleys, hiking trails to high overlooks and along narrow canyons, and varied landscapes reflecting the wide elevation range of 3,550 to 7,890 feet. The road passes close to Lava Point, the highest summit in the park except for two peaks in the far northwest region, and affords exceptional, near 360° views of the whole park.

The road, not obviously signposted, begins at the small town of Virgin on UT 9, 22 miles before the main south entrance to the park and follows North Creek, another tributary of the Virgin River. This unmarked road is the only other paved road in the village of Virgin that turns to the north. It is easily passed because most people miss the village of Virgin and don't slow down much on their way to the Zion National Park. The start of the route is along a lush valley with plenty of green woodland and well-watered farm pasture, quite a contrast to the faded reddish cliffs at either side, then after a drive of 10 minutes the road begins to climb quite steeply and at one point traverses a narrow ridge with good views all around. There is a fine area for camping on the southeast side of the road shortly before the National Park Boundary - a rough network of sandy tracks winding between trees and cacti, offering many sheltered stopping places.

North Creek: There is no entrance station to the park, just an NPS sign, but 1.75 miles inside the boundary, a lay-by on the east side marks the starting point for one of the most famous trails in Zions - the route along the Left Fork of North Creek, also known as Great West Canyon. This flows through a wild canyon that becomes more narrow and scenic upstream, culminating in 'The Subway', where the creek becomes enclosed in a circular passage, almost like a tunnel.

The Kolob Reservoir Road passes outside the park again for a while, crossing the Lower Kolob Plateau which is used for cattle grazing and horse meetings, and indeed much of the traffic to this point is for livestock transportation. The road re-enters Zion National Park following a sharp turn east and ascends even more steeply, through alternating meadows and woodland, all very pretty and with frequent glimpses of remote mountains and canyons. A few miles back inside the park, after passing a pair of ancient cinder cones on either side (Firepit Knoll and Spendlove Knoll), the road crosses Pine Spring Wash, which upstream flows over open land for a while then emerges from the end of a narrow canyon. There is no trail here but it is easy enough to walk beside the creekbed, across slickrock slopes then into the canyon, which is not quite a slot though respectably deep and enclosed. Past the wash, and after another steep ascent, the road becomes narrower and flattens out at around 7,000 feet, by which point the landscape is very different from the desert-like conditions of the Virgin River valley at the start - thick pine forests with wide clearings and shallow ponds, fed by melting snow which may not clear completely until June.

Lava Point: A gravel side road beside Blue Springs Reservoir follows a forested ridge formed by an ancient lava flow and ends at 7,890 foot Lava Point. All of the park to the north, east and south is spread out beneath, and the huge domes of Zion Canyon itself are clearly visible, 10 miles away to the southeast. Shortly before the point, a rougher track leads to the Wildcat Trailhead from which various cross country routes begin, including the hike to the deep and watery slot canyon of Kolob Creek.

Kolob Reservoir: Beyond the Lava Point turn-off, the land becomes relatively well developed, with many ranches, houses and log cabins dotted amongst the fir trees, many used only as summer homes. These continue about as far as Kolob Reservoir, at 8,118 feet, where the road is now unpaved, yet continues for many miles through the upper Kolob Plateau, eventually meeting other routes that lead towards Cedar City. The reservoir has many good places for disperse camping right at the waters edge, and is also good for fishing. It is especially scenic in winter, when frozen and surrounded by snow covered slopes and forests of aspen. Locals love it, no fees, I have camped there often early spring, early summer, late summer, early autumn. Gets to be crowded around July 4th...Duh!

Please pack out what you pack in. Garbage can be a problem if you don't. Leave it better than you found it. So go check it out, to scout it out is possible for a long day trip to and from Vegas. I-95 into Utah is 75 mph and St. George is only 1 1/2 hour drive. The drive to Hurricane now is all four lanes and that's only a 30 minute drive. Hurricane to Virgin is about 17 minutes, then the drive up to the reservoir is an hour but well worth it. Let us know how your campin goes and if you like it?:cool:

Another place further a-field is next. After I review my notebooks. I keep notebooks on everyplace I've been, it's a good idea to start one where-ever you go.
      Last edited by renodesertfox; 06-06-2011, 10:10 AM.

Comment

What is Dispersed Camping?

Many people enjoy the solitude and primitive experience of camping away from developed campgrounds and other campers. Dispersed camping is the term used for camping anywhere in the National Forest OUTSIDE of a designated campground. Dispersed camping means no services; such as trash removal, and little or no facilities; such as tables and fire pits, are provided. Some popular dispersed camping areas may have toilets.
        There are extra responsibilities and skills that are necessary for dispersed camping. If is your responsibility to know these before you try this new experience. Camping rules and regulations apply to make your experience safe, and to keep the natural resources scenic and unspoiled for other campers.
        Rules for Dispersed Camping

• Groups of over 75 people who wish to use the forest, need to obtain a special use permit. There is no fee and permits can be obtained at the nearest District Office.
        • You need to be self-contained. No amenities are provided; such as water, restrooms or trash cans.
        • You may camp in a dispersed area for up to 16 days. After 16 days, you must move at least 5 road miles for camping in another dispersed area.
        • Please place your campsite at least 100 feet from any stream or other water source.
        • Keep a Pack-In Pack-Out camp. Follow Leave No Trace guidelines.
        • Contact the local Forest Service office to see if any restrictions, especially fire restrictions are in place.

Where Can I Disperse Camp?

The best way to find out what areas are open to dispersed camping is to contact the nearest Forest Service office to the area you wish to visit. Typically, dispersed camping is NOT allowed in the vicinity of developed recreation areas such as campgrounds, picnic areas, or trailheads. Many people drive out on Forest Service roads into the woods and find a clearing or a spot near a stream or with a view of the mountains. Do not drive on meadows to access your camping site. Drive on existing roads to prevent resource damage. Dispersed camping is allowed in a one-mile perimeter away from campgrounds and 100 feet from any stream. To prevent resource damage please keep your campsite within 150 feet from a roadway.
        How to Pick a Campsite

If you are going to an area where others have camped before, pick a site that has been used before. Plants, soil and wildlife are impacted by new campsites so using existing ones will minimize your impact in the forest. If there is no existing campsite, then follow these Leave No Trace guidelines.
        • Camp on bare soil if possible, to avoid damage or killing plants and grass.
        • Do NOT camp within 100 feet of any water source, plants near water are especially fragile.
        • Do not camp in the middle of a clearing or meadow; try to make your campsite less visible so that other visitors will see a "wild" setting
        • Do not try to level or dig trenches in the ground at your campsite. Pick a tent site that is already level with good drainage.

Can I have a campfire?

Please use existing sites and fire rings. Wood permits are not needed for usage on the forest. If wood is transported home for personal use, pick up a permit at the nearest District Office.
        The National Forest has wildfires each year. Many of these are caused by human activity, typically escaped campfires from dispersed campers. Campfires are allowed when you are dispersed camping unless there are fire restrictions in effect due to high fire danger conditions. It is your responsibility to know if fire restrictions are in effect before you go camping. You can learn about any fire restrictions by contacting the nearest Forest Service office.
        Tips for Safe, Low Impact Campfires

Use existing fire rings if they exist. Minimize the scarring of new rocks, soil, and plants by using existing fire rings.
        Select a site that is not in a meadow or clearing, that is not next to a tree with low overhanging branches, that is at least 100 feet from any water source to protect fragile vegetation.
        Clean an area and make a ring of rocks about two feet in diameter.
        If you don't bring your own firewood collect only dead wood that is on the ground. You should not cut branches off of live trees. If a popular camping area does not have dead wood on the ground, please bring your own firewood. The animals, insects, and micro-organisms in the soil need rotting wood on the ground to survive.
        Before you leave your campfire make sure is it completely out. You should be able to put your whole hand into the ashes without being burned, it should be cool to the touch. Stir the ashes to make sure all embers have cooled. This is very important! Many forest fires are caused by abandoned campfires that were not completely out.
        Water and Toileting

Water gets contaminated by visitors who do not take care of their human waste or their garbage and food properly.
        Going to the Bathroom in the Woods

Dispersed camping means no bathrooms and no outhouses. That means extra care has to be taken in disposing of human waste. To dispose of feces, dig a hole six (6) inches deep at least 100 feet away from any water source. When you are done, fill the hole with the dirt you dug up and take your toilet paper with you to dispose of in a proper waste container. Never defecate or leave toilet paper on top of the ground. It could easily get into the local water source and contaminate it.
        Treating Your Water

We used to be able to take a cup and drink directly out of the sparkling creek, a rushing waterfall, or a clear, deep lake. There is NO safe water source anymore. With an increasing population and visitation to our National Forest, water sources have been contaminated with invisible micro-organisms that can make people very ill and even kill them in some cases. Giardhea is a common contamination that has been spread through improper toileting and wild animals to many water sources. It will cause diarrhea, cramping, and other physical problems.
        The only way to ensure that water from any undeveloped source is safe is to treat it. That means heating it until it comes to a rolling boil, using water purification tablets or a water purification filter. Water from faucets in developed recreation areas has been tested and treated and is safe to use without treating.
        Have Fun!

Comment

Please be advised that Utah and the entire chain of mountains running through the state have had an over abundance of rain and snow and even if you live in place the receives very little rainfall/snowfall it is hard to imagine that backroads paved or not may be closed due to snow accumulation anywhere above 7500' in elevation. I have checked with many national forest district offices and they have confirmed that many roads are closed, even now...the beginning of summer. It'll pay dividends if anyone is interested in Kolob Reservoir Disperse camping to make a run and check it out for yourself first before packing up your gear and going there on blind faith. You may be disappointed this summer. Central and northern Nevada and even eastern California are still receiving an over abundance of rain and snow even at low elevations. Reno, NV is about 4500' and we have had rain three days straight, chains or 4x4 are required over most mountain passes and it's already June 6, 2011. Be safe out there!

Comment

I forgot to mention that I'll have 2 dogs with me. I didn't think dogs were usually allowed in National Parks :(.

I've camped near Duck Creek Village a few times before but never found a nice creek off the forest service roads out there and the last time I camped one of my dogs overheated so had to leave early (it was September). Not sure if the mountains have so much snow if it means that region might have more water??

Comment

Please read my post more slowly. You aren't camping in "Zion National Park" the only time you drive through it is on the road I mention for about 10 miles. There aren't any fee stations on this road, it is only mark with a sign. There are private ranches most pf the way up the road. It is a beautiful spot to "see" Zion from but you're not in the "national park!" And you're dispersed camping. When there you can look north and see the mesa's edge where Duck Creek is located. There are also a few hidden spots there too that are free for camping and offer a dispersed setting, one of them is known as Mirror Lake. There is also another area just west of Bryce Canyon National Park that is very scenic and offers free dispersed camping. But if you don't know the dirt roads and have a map, very easy to get lost.

Comment

Another place in Utah is called Gooseberry Fremont River scenic byway. It's about 6 hours drive from Vegas off of I-70; south on hwy 24 and then right on Gooseberry Fremont River Scenic Byway. Great trout fishing in this stream. It begins where Johnson Valley Reservoir ends near Fish Lake in the center of Utah. Plenty of pull-outs along this paved road with plenty of tree covered places to camp dispersed. Never crowded because everyone heads to Fishlake. Also the Mytoga Wilderness around Fishlake above the campgrounds and in the wilderness but one must know the roads and how to get in. If you're interested ask.

Comment

renodesertfox thanks for some great ideas. I was getting discouraged with my previous trips. In Colorado I never had a problem and it's been a few years since I've been able to go so I'm desparate!

Comment

Your welcome!

There are many more places in Utah to Disperse Camp. Here's another one. North I-15 to St. George. Go north on Hwy 18 to Enterprise, and drive through that town's main street. Stay on that road, when you pass the Hebron Historical site turn south on rd 006 that'll take you to Enterprise Reservoir...disperse anywhere there.

It's a 3 hour drive the elevation of the reservoir is 3500' it's semi arid, and ATVs frequent the area.
                    Last edited by renodesertfox; 06-08-2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

RenoDesertFox, you are a fountain of good information and I thank you for sharing it. I just found this forum and this thread a few minutes ago.

I had a 2 week road trip planned, which just got cancelled at the last minute. Now I am re-grouping and planning instead a week long camping visit to southeastern Utah, leaving in about 5 days from now. I am interested only in dispersed camping, and being legal about it. Two experienced campers, 2 good dogs, tent, sleeping bags. We will be car-camping, not hiking in, not RV. We are thinking about the area between the Navajo Nation and I-70. Arches looks great, so does Moab.

I have saved your suggestions for the Zion area for future use. Do you have any suggestions for the SE corner of the state? We are not picky except for needing quiet and solitude, but a creek and a view would be wonderful! Also, of course, the idea of the trip is to see and be in as much raw beauty as possible while there, so suggestions of places to go see that are also welcome. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!
                      Thanks again,
                      Kiteroo

Comment

Thank you your words are too kind! My parents are in town, they're pushin 90 so I've been absent most times recently. A few more days and I'll tell ya 'bout se Utah land! Glorious really!

Comment

I will be leaving for this trip on Wednesday 7/27. Might have internet access while on the journey, might not, have to wait and see. If you do not have time, no worries....we will just wing it! I am sure there are many places to camp and so much beauty that we cannot miss it. I understand about parents.....spend all the time you can with them while you have them! :-)
                          best regards,
                          Kiteroo

Comment

Most likely you'll have to wing it. There is Canyonlands National Park, Monte La-Sal National Forest, Canyon De Chelle all with plenty of disperse camping available. My best advice is:

1. Public lands such as National Forests and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lands often border the parks.
                            2. Who owns public land? Are you a member of the public? Then YOU do!!! Why not camp on the land that has been set-aside for you through your tax dollars?
                            3. Learn to identify and watch for small road signs that indicate you are entering public lands.
                            4. Never drive by a National Forest office, BLM office, or area Visitor Center without stopping.
                            5. While there, ask for free maps of the area, points of interest, directions, rules and road conditions.
                            6. Most forests and BLM lands have inexpensive campgrounds with minimal facilities. However they also have free dispersed camping and this is usually where the best scenic view camping is found.
                            7. Dispersed camping locations will not be marked on the maps. You need to ask. Also ask the staff where their personal favorite dispersed camping areas are.
                            8. Be willing to drive a few miles on dirt roads.
                            9. Be prepared for boondocking (dry camping).

Good luck! Thanks for joining CF! It would be very nice when your trip is done, spend some time with us here at CF and then you'll be considered the knowledge leader of that area of the country. It's been at least ten years since I was last in that neck of the desert. Then we dispersed camped in the Monte La-Sal mountains southeast of Arches NP.

Comment

Just stumbled on the thread and THANK YOU. There seems to be a lack of information regarding dispersed camping if you don't know where to look.

Comment

Working...
                              X