Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping, hiking & swimming with dog & kid outside NYC/Long Island?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping, hiking & swimming with dog & kid outside NYC/Long Island?

It's been a while since I 'car camped' and had been backcountry backpacking for a while before my dd was born. However, we recently got new family gear and took our new 6mo Lab pup and my now 7yo camping for a few days here on Long Island. Everyone loved it and we had a good time during the day at the beach w/ the dog.

We would like to go camping for a few days a few hours outside NYC.
    I would like to leave the campground for the day and take everyone (including the dog) hiking for a few hours. Also anywhere that is near water would be great and hopefully let us and the dog get wet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Camping, hiking & swimming with dog & kid outside NYC/Long Island?

Originally posted by brianosaur View Post
    It's been a while since I 'car camped' and had been backcountry backpacking for a while before my dd was born. However, we recently got new family gear and took our new 6mo Lab pup and my now 7yo camping for a few days here on Long Island. Everyone loved it and we had a good time during the day at the beach w/ the dog.

We would like to go camping for a few days a few hours outside NYC.
    I would like to leave the campground for the day and take everyone (including the dog) hiking for a few hours. Also anywhere that is near water would be great and hopefully let us and the dog get wet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Let's see ...the dog will hamper you a bit but it's not impossible. Take a look at Westchester County's campgrounds at this site:

http://westchester.mommypoppins.com/...ester-families

There are a few nice campgrounds in LI (check Nassau and Suffolk County links) past Hither Hills and Fire Island National Seashore but it'll prolly be a catch as catch can affair. Your best possibilities will be to find a cancellation or concentrate on camping during weekdays.

There is a new campground in NYC located out at Floyd Bennet near Riis Beach. I've gardened there but never camped and the area is beautiful and part of the Gateway National Park.

Want to go further afield travel wise? Give RI, CT, NJ and upstate NY a try. You can be camping in 2-3 hours.

HTH and let us know what happens!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
    X